Anyone Else Being FORCED to Have a C-Section And Not Even a Chance at Natural Birth?

Angel Momma13

Reaction score
In my state (Pennsylvania) it is now a LAW that if youve had any prior c-sections that as of Janurary 1st 2015 you HAVE to have a c-section and arent allowed to try for natural birth...am I the ONLY one who thinks this is INSANE AND UNCONSTITUTIONAL?!?!?!?!?! My first baby was born vaginally, granted I was induced (my son had passed away so I was induced with a stillborn) with my first. My 2nd baby his due date was the dte my son was born deceased, so they induced me at 38w5d to ensure I wouldnt have to have coorilating dates to handle forever. After 19 hrs of the induction I only got to 5 1/2 cm so they forced me to give up and go to the OR and cut him out. Now Im having my LAST baby, and really wanted to try for a natural birth and regain it as a positive experience...but NOPE!!! Im due Janurary 7th, and they have me scheduled for Jan 2nd for my c-section. Even if I go into labor myself before then, they'll just give me no choice still, roll me into the OR and not let me try to just finish labor normally. This seems SOOO WRONG to me its unbelievable to me that the STATE gets to decide how I have my baby...im so angry about it i dont even want to have this baby ANYONE else stuck in this boat with me...or is PA just a fucked Commonwealth who is unconstitutionally ripping womens rights away from them???

What part of PA are you from? I've from PA and even after I was in labor for over a day they never forced a c section on me. They gave me the option if I wanted it. I've never heard of someone being forced into a c section like that. The only thing I can think of is trying for a new doctor!

Im from central PA, Altoona to be exact. It just went into effect middle of this yr, and unless ur having a baby or know someone who is and had a prior c-section then thats probably why you havent heard about it. I was shocked when they told me at my first appt, and quite angry too...still am obviously lol. I think its ridiculous that im not even allowed to try for a natural birth for literally no good reason whatsoever!!!

not in effect this yr, but became a thing this year. the law begins January 1st 2015, thats when it goes into actual effect.

Wow that sounds pretty barbaric to me and I'm sorry you feel forced in to having a section. I have chosen to have an elcs after an emcs with dd but that is my choice and in the UK we are encouraged to try for a vbac unless there is a serious risk of harm.

Are you sure that's the law. I live in NJ and I'm sure that it would have come up in the news.

In this state, doctors cannot attend a home v-bac, but you can have one in the hospital. Unless you're like my friend and have a v-bac in your car because you waited too long.

This seems very strange-I to am from NJ and not heard of this on any board or tv. Honestly I would homebirth unassisted before I went if this is true. I would call around a few places to see if this is YOUR practice enforcing this and not state law. I would ask your practice WHAT law exactley this to be sure they are not lying.

After looking up I see someone in 2007 being told something similar and it seems it was the practice. Also someone else posted on that thread that it was illegal for any place to do that.

https://vbacfacts.com/13-myths-about-vbac/

https://www.cesareanrates.com/pennsylvania/

This sounds utterly ridiculous and illegal not to mention unethical and immoral. I attached two links that I hope might help you. I am curious, is your hospital listed on the second link? You should see if switching providers will help.

Who exactly told you that was law? I've tried to search and see if I could find anything on it, but didn't see a single thing. See if your doctor's office will tell you the exact law, and maybe even a copy of it. If they can't do that, they are most likely lying to you. Also try contacting another office not affiliated with yours and see what they say in it.

I also tried to search for it and came up with nothing. I really think your doctor is telling you that just to get you to agree to having another c section.

Also with a stillborn and then a failed induction there is no reason to automatically think you would need a section. I would NOT do another induction unless proven medically needed by 2 different practices. I would let baby stay and do its own thing and wait for labor. I do get why you did an induction though.

I would look into switching providers and/or hospitals.

Much like many others I also tried finding info on the new law. There is nothing online. I would get a second opinion from another network provider. Someone not affiliated with your current hospital. If they give you the same message ask for more information regarding the law. I can understand hospitals opting out of offering vbac due to not having facilities/surgeons available for possible complications. But I doubt a statewide law was passed.

Call your insurance company - they'll know for sure if a law is going into effect with those stipulations. But like the other ladies said, I'm not seeing anything at all online, and haven't even heard of it before.

I work in the employee benefits department for a hospital, and we have a number of locations in PA - this has never ever ever come up. I'd think if it were true, our insurance company or our brokers would have mentioned it especially since we're self-funded. Sounds like your provider might be trying to pull a fast one on you...I'd do some more digging!!!

I think something has been left out of the story. It isn't really possible to pass a law like that. It goes against basic human rights. You have the right to decide what happens to your body and can refuse any treatment you want. Laws can be passed that make it tricky for hospitals and hospitals have their own policies, which are not the same as law. Also insurance companies sometimes say they won't cover certain things like VBAC. These things can make it very difficult to get access to the choices you want. In some states I know the only way some women can work out how to get a VBAC is with an independent MW at a home birth. In some states it has been made illegal for MWs to attend a HB which makes that option illegal.

Maybe contact a VBAC support group. They should have a better idea of the real law and what your rights and options are.

Couldn't find any info on this 'Law' either. Don't think it's legit. I would just call their bluff and refuse to have a scheduled section if you want to try for a natural birth first. As other posters have said, if your insurance won't cover a vbac, then that's a different matter. You may be 'forced' to have a scheduled section if paying in full for the birth is not an option. If it's your particular doctor's policy nor to do vbacs, then switching doctor would be the way to go. X

Could you switch doctors, and ask to be induced prior to the 1st of January, so that the law technically wouldn't be in effect? I know you'd want to keep baby in as long as possible but sacrificing a few days might be enough to get you your VBAC.

They don't usually like to induce for a VBAC because it increases the risks.

I live in PA and have heard nothing and have been unable to find anything about this rumored law. I have two friends in the state who are previous c-section mamas who are shooting for v-bacs in 2015... with the full support of their doctors/midwives. So it sounds like this is a bogus claim to me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->