anyone else have a 'gifted' child? (autism)

marie-louise

Reaction score
Hello,
Just wondering if anyone is in the same boat? My son turned 4 in May and was diagnosed with autism at that time after 2 years of assessments. He has always had delayed speech. He is due to start school in Sept and I'm a little worried. Matthew can read and write anything, he has started writing stories, he spells words such as 'creativity' and 'scheduled' He has gotten all the passwords for the computer and can get whatever he wants online, he spends all day building words and sentences out of LEGO! Anyway, he will not have a classroom assistant when he starts school and I'm worried that he will be very frustrated at primary 1. He gets upset if someone writes the letter 'a' wrong ( in his opinion) he gets upset if I read what he has written wrong! He has no tolerance of others not understanding what he means. The school are aware of his intelligence and are putting an education plan in place. I just would love to hear from someone who has been through this with their child. Thanks!

Hi
Harry has severe autism hypermobility hypotonia and global development delays and learning difficulties he goes to special school. Harry has always been obsessed by water he loves it he's never been allowed swimming cause of his joints but he finally got the go ahead from his physio last week first time in the pool arm bands on he was in and within minutes was swimming and I mean swimming like a fish it was unreal !! I actually couldn't believe my eyes took armbands off 20 minutes in and my boy was kicking legs and away across the pool !!!! He can swim it's his natural talent no help needed lol
I made the decision for Harry to go to special school he's non verbal he can't tell you what he wants doesn't like other children if they make too much noise he will freak out we got an education and healthcare plan and Harry was offered a place at special school the school is amazing one of only 2 in the country rated outstanding by ofstead I'm so excited for him.
My advice hun see how your little man gets on he sounds very gifted if anything about the school bothers you or you feel he's not happy then say so the plan is all about his needs so tell them and if you do ever decide he would be better at a special school go for it if you've never looked round one I would recommend you do that anyway so you can see what's available :)
I personally find kids like ours fascinating their talents are amazing lol

Emma

Oh wow! That is amazing! You must be so proud and it is great that your lo can now do something he loves! Matthew is going to mainstream school, however the school is known for being great for children on the spectrum. I just don't like seeing him stressed and frustrated, which he has been a lot lately. Don't get me wrong, I am so proud of him, however I can also see the downsides, which is scary!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->