Anyone else have a lo who seems to get really poorly at least once a month?

kellie_w

Mummy to 2 gorgeous boys
Reaction score
I really feel like i am doing something wrong. Luke is sick so often, since november he has been poorly every month with colds, ear infections, tonsilitus, constipation, the worst nappy rash and three stays in hospital, once blue lighted from the doctors with suspected meningitis.(very luckily wasnt, was a rare infection) A temperature of over 41, Drips, antibiotics, blood tests which break my heart to see these needles hurting him so often. Today, he is sick again with the same symptoms of the start of the previous infection. :nope:

I hate seeing this so often, and am a nervous wreck. Does anyone else have a lo who is sick a lot and can relate to the constant worry? x

awww hun i didnt wanna leave you with no comments on here

i dont have he same experience, the worst i get is snotty nose all the time!

dont feel bad though its not your fault, he may just have an immune system that isnt very good yet, have you talked to your dr about it???

Thank you for replying, I'm used to getting very few, if any, answers though! :)

The doctors know how often he gets sick, but never really advise much. They seem to be keen to just get a prescription written and get you out asap. They never seem to really listen to what you are saying either. The nhs is great isn't it!

:hugs: We've had our fair share of hospital stays lately too, seems like mine has been constantly sick since he went to nursery. It's almost cost me my job not to mention my sanity. I'm sure people think we're making up lol. I hope things get better for you soon :)

Is he in daycare? I've heard if your child is in daycare they will have more colds etc as they are exposed to more kids etc. But he is building up his immune system so in the future he probably wont get as sick as often. Hope he's feeling better :hugs:

hi im so used to this now Ellie was 7 weeks early and spent they 7 weeks in NICU with nasal tube for feeding canulas and long lines, had a lumbar puncture at 3 days as she stopped breathing due to an infection that they thought was meningitis, never ever found out what the infection was, she has LOADS of scars on her hands nad heels and other places where they had canulas in her veins

She also has a blood problem where her body only produces 3 of the 5 white blood cells and her red blood cells attach these which leads to numerous blood transfusions her next one is tomorrow but she just sleeps through it or lies in the hospital cot watching the tv lol she love waybaloo. She also just got her spica cast on and she seems fine with that but im an emotional wreck!!!!

Try not too worry it is very common for kids specially babies and toddlers to get colds etc I have a 6 year old too and she has had loads of things from a baby xxx

if your really concerned hun then i would refuse to leave the drs until they have something constructive to say

or i would speak to hv next time you see her and seek her advice

Hmm run of the mill colds every couple months are totally normal up until the age of 2 whilst their immune system is getting built up, this seems like there is more to it tho.

My DD has been constantly ill since November last year. It all started with croup, then 6 double ear infections, bronchiolitis, cold after cold (but a cold turned in to a 3 week ordeal because she couldn't breathe) and so on. The Dr tried all sorts of drugs, she had tubes put in her ears which helped the ear infections, she was on a nebilizer 2 times a day, antibiotics. All the time she had a constant 7 month cough. We was in the peds office about every 10 days.

In the end I said enough was enough, I was fed up of her being a guinea pig for trying different drugs, I wanted a diagnosis cause all this had to be connected. Her ped referred us to a pulmonologist 2 weeks ago .. he has a diagnosis already.

He did a barium test just to rule out reflux .. negative. He did an xray of her sinus .. they are absolutely jam packed with junk, could have been this way since November. The antibiotics she has has never been a long enough course to get rid of it totally, so they basically suppress the infection, the antibiotics are stopped, BAM it comes back and she's really ill again.

He is going to pop a camera down her nose at the end of the month to check out her adenoids because he said it could be the route of all her problems.

Swollen/infected adenoids cause chronic ear and sinus infections, all the junk from the sinus' drip down the throat, causing the constant cough, the junk also goes in to her chest causing chest infections. and it's just a vicious circle.

She's now on a steroid nasal spray because her passages were almost swollen shut, an oral steroid for her chest, a steroid inhaler to help her breathe and 3 weeks of really strong antibiotics to kick the infection. We're also scheduled for the camera to see if she needs the adenoids out.

She's not coughed or had a snotty nose in over a week .. after 7 months of it, I'm SO FREAKING EXCITED!!

I know it's frustrating mamma, trust me I know. It got to the point when she coughed I would get anxiety... I have no ill feeling towards her ped, she was doing the best she could, but sometimes it takes someone with fresh eyes and a different way of thinking to find the answer. Maybe you can ask to be refered to am ENT to check out your DS ears/throat/adenoids and such. If he has ear infections over and over and over, tubes might be the answer, cause there are only so many times you can give antibiotics for it.

Just a tip with the antibiotics, when he's on it, make sure you give him a good probiotic too (Has to be given about 4 hrs away from the antibi dose. It really helps their lil bellies.

Good luck lady, hope they can get it sorted out soon .... :hugs:

I really feel like i am doing something wrong. Luke is sick so often, since november he has been poorly every month with colds, ear infections, tonsilitus, constipation, the worst nappy rash and three stays in hospital, once blue lighted from the doctors with suspected meningitis.(very luckily wasnt, was a rare infection) A temperature of over 41, Drips, antibiotics, blood tests which break my heart to see these needles hurting him so often. Today, he is sick again with the same symptoms of the start of the previous infection. :nope:

I hate seeing this so often, and am a nervous wreck. Does anyone else have a lo who is sick a lot and can relate to the constant worry? x

Emily is always ill, if its not a cold, its a cough, or something else. People have told me that atleast she wont be as ill as an older child! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->