Anyone else having a planned c-section?

fashionlover

Reaction score
I will be joining 3rd trimester very soon! I found out in my 20 week scan that I have a rare condition called Vasa Praevia, It is imperative that I have to have a c-section for the safety of my baby. Was just wondering if anyone else on here is having a c-section too? I am kind of scared and would love the support, advice etc.

Hi
I will be having a planned section too. I was diagnosed with placenta praevia at 28 weeks with first daughter so had section. Then i failed to go into labour with second daughter and had a planned section. Now I have been told I must have a planned section as I have had two previous & am quite happy with this decision.
There can be quite a lot of pressure on ladies who have had previous sections to try for a vaginal birth second time round but the c-section forum on this website can be really supportive in getting advice and support about having a c-section.
My big about of advice is not to dwell too much on horror stories about c-sections. Some very unfortunate women have experienced c-sections as a result of an unsuccessful natural labour, complications during vaginal birth etc and have a much harder time overall. In my experience, A planned c-section can be very calm, tailored to your wishes and recovery from an abdominal wound need not be any more painful than the damage done to some ladies 'bits'

I will be joining 3rd trimester very soon! I found out in my 20 week scan that I have a rare condition called Vasa Praevia, It is imperative that I have to have a c-section for the safety of my baby. Was just wondering if anyone else on here is having a c-section too? I am kind of scared and would love the support, advice etc.

Hey hun I had a planned c-section 6 weeks ago and I LOVED IT! If you have any questions feel free to ask me hun. I had a natural delivery with my first son and it ended in a forecep delivery.. it was highly traumatic to me and did some damage to i opted for an ELCS this time round and i am so so glad that i did. A lot of the bad stories you here are from ladies who have had to endure la hard labor first and needed an EMCS which has to be done a lot faster than a planned one. My section was so so relaxed and i had a "natural c-section" .. so when they were taking baby out he was stepped out slowly instead of being pulled out quickly... the drape was dropped so i could see and he was lifted straight up so i could get a good look. they delayed cutting the cord for 3 minutes and then he was took to the side with my husband where he trimmed the cord and they cleaned my son up (took around 5 minutes inc weighing) then i was offered skin to skin whilst they were sewing me up.. i would have done it but my boobs were in the way lol. My husband sat by my head with our son in his arms until he got took through to recovery when they were ready to move me off the operating table.. i joined them within 5 mins.
Stayed in recovery for around an hour and a half where i had skin to skins and breast fed, then was took back to the ward. I was horribly sick afterwards and went through 5 sickbowls but i was given an injection to stop it. I was also left on fluids for a little while as i wasnt producing enough urine) 5pm that night i was up on my feet (had section at 9:30am) when they were changing my pads for me. I wasn't allowed to lift my son from his cot so had to buzz the midwife every time but they were so lovely. The next morning at 6am they took my catheter out (id asked for it to be done asap) and I was in the shower by myself by 7am... after that i needed no help what so ever... even got my own sexy pressure stockings back on with no help. Later that day i even managed to lift my 3 year old (wasnt going to but he fell off the bed and banged his head whilst his dad had hold of the baby so not much choice lol). I was a little stiff moving for that first day but just took things slowly. The next morning I was up, showered, dressed, baby sorted and packed ready to leave by 8:30am lol. I carried my son out to the taxi and when i got home i went a 20 minute walk to pick up my eldest son from nursery. And i have never stopped since. Getting out of bed was a bit sore for a little while but a tip is to try sleeping propped up (whilst in hospital i kept my bed in an almost upright position) and its much easier! I went grocery shopping the day after that lol. I was hoovering after 3 weeks and managing to bump my pram up and down stairs (i life in a flat and have 3 sets of stairs to negotiate) by myself.
My scar has healed perfectly and i only get the odd little twinge of pain now and again which is normal. Just remember to keep on top of your painkillers once you get home for the first week or 2 (paracetamol and ibuprofen once your home) and you should be ok. Your body will quickly tell you what you are and are not ready for. I also used Cussons mum and me bath soak which has arnica in it to help with healing.

:hugs::hugs: xx

I'm having one too in about a week (on the 29th) so can report back then too x

I am due to have one 8th July, if baby doesn't arrive before then (DS was born at 35+5) xx

Thanks @ sethsmummuy for the info :flower: ...i have a question ?
were u awake through your c - section ?

I am planning a c- section too and just started to research it ... i am just scared and paranoid about natural birth:shrug:

Im having a C-section on 21st June 6 days before my due date or earlier if I start labour naturally early but was overdue first time!. Fully supported by our consultant after an emergency section with our first don due to pre eclampsia. My last experience wasnt the best because it was so rushed but I recovered great and was on my feet and doing everything for myself within a couple of days. So as said above everybody deals with it differently, this time im looking forward to some control and a "natural c-section" sounds great! X

I had a planned c-section with my first because he was breech and this one is too so she's a planned c-section too (in 2 weeks!). This time I am more prepared and mentally ready. My last one was fine though. I was up and walking as soon as I could and walked a lot which the nurses said was a big reason I was able to be discharged a bit sooner. I plan to do the same this time. As soon and as much as I can. I'm hoping for as little separation as possible and since I know to talk to my doctor before about that hopefully I'll get it. But again even with the separation at my first we had very little problems with nursing and bonding so I am not stressing over that too much.

As of this week I am having a planned C-Section at 39 weeks. I'm not so much nervous as I am not sure how I will handle being awake during the surgery.

As of this week I am having a planned C-Section at 39 weeks. I'm not so much nervous as I am not sure how I will handle being awake during the surgery.
I'm nervous about that too but if you're not hugely bothered about seeing him immediately then a general may work better for you. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go down that route myself. I'm fine with seeing him 30 mins later than expected x

I'm nervous about that too but if you're not hugely bothered about seeing him immediately then a general may work better for you. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go down that route myself. I'm fine with seeing him 30 mins later than expected x

I've considered that! As long as no one else sees him before me then that would be perfectly fine!

Hey hun I had a planned c-section 6 weeks ago and I LOVED IT! If you have any questions feel free to ask me hun. I had a natural delivery with my first son and it ended in a forecep delivery.. it was highly traumatic to me and did some damage to i opted for an ELCS this time round and i am so so glad that i did. A lot of the bad stories you here are from ladies who have had to endure la hard labor first and needed an EMCS which has to be done a lot faster than a planned one. My section was so so relaxed and i had a "natural c-section" .. so when they were taking baby out he was stepped out slowly instead of being pulled out quickly... the drape was dropped so i could see and he was lifted straight up so i could get a good look. they delayed cutting the cord for 3 minutes and then he was took to the side with my husband where he trimmed the cord and they cleaned my son up (took around 5 minutes inc weighing) then i was offered skin to skin whilst they were sewing me up.. i would have done it but my boobs were in the way lol. My husband sat by my head with our son in his arms until he got took through to recovery when they were ready to move me off the operating table.. i joined them within 5 mins.
Stayed in recovery for around an hour and a half where i had skin to skins and breast fed, then was took back to the ward. I was horribly sick afterwards and went through 5 sickbowls but i was given an injection to stop it. I was also left on fluids for a little while as i wasnt producing enough urine) 5pm that night i was up on my feet (had section at 9:30am) when they were changing my pads for me. I wasn't allowed to lift my son from his cot so had to buzz the midwife every time but they were so lovely. The next morning at 6am they took my catheter out (id asked for it to be done asap) and I was in the shower by myself by 7am... after that i needed no help what so ever... even got my own sexy pressure stockings back on with no help. Later that day i even managed to lift my 3 year old (wasnt going to but he fell off the bed and banged his head whilst his dad had hold of the baby so not much choice lol). I was a little stiff moving for that first day but just took things slowly. The next morning I was up, showered, dressed, baby sorted and packed ready to leave by 8:30am lol. I carried my son out to the taxi and when i got home i went a 20 minute walk to pick up my eldest son from nursery. And i have never stopped since. Getting out of bed was a bit sore for a little while but a tip is to try sleeping propped up (whilst in hospital i kept my bed in an almost upright position) and its much easier! I went grocery shopping the day after that lol. I was hoovering after 3 weeks and managing to bump my pram up and down stairs (i life in a flat and have 3 sets of stairs to negotiate) by myself.
My scar has healed perfectly and i only get the odd little twinge of pain now and again which is normal. Just remember to keep on top of your painkillers once you get home for the first week or 2 (paracetamol and ibuprofen once your home) and you should be ok. Your body will quickly tell you what you are and are not ready for. I also used Cussons mum and me bath soak which has arnica in it to help with healing.

:hugs::hugs: xx

Thank you so much for sharing your story. Just curious, what made you vomit so much afterward?

Thanks @ sethsmummuy for the info :flower: ...i have a question ?
were u awake through your c - section ?

I am planning a c- section too and just started to research it ... i am just scared and paranoid about natural birth:shrug:

I was hun :) I was told i had a high chance of needing a general as im a big lady so they couldnt guaruntee getting a spinal in, but they managed and i am SOO glad that they did.

fashionlover - I think it was a combination of the spinal plus the meds your given during surgery.. add on the painkillers (which normally make me feel sick if its stronger than a paracetamol lol). It only lasted 20 mins though.

Whats worrying you ladies about being awake? Anything specific or is it really just fear of the unknown? I loved being awake.. i didnt even realise they had started! lol by the time the anesthetist told me they had started they almost had my son out lol. The only thing i felt was a lot of tugging when they were stitching me back together x

I was hun :) I was told i had a high chance of needing a general as im a big lady so they couldnt guaruntee getting a spinal in, but they managed and i am SOO glad that they did.

fashionlover - I think it was a combination of the spinal plus the meds your given during surgery.. add on the painkillers (which normally make me feel sick if its stronger than a paracetamol lol). It only lasted 20 mins though.

Whats worrying you ladies about being awake? Anything specific or is it really just fear of the unknown? I loved being awake.. i didnt even realise they had started! lol by the time the anesthetist told me they had started they almost had my son out lol. The only thing i felt was a lot of tugging when they were stitching me back together x
Multiple things for me really. The first is having a big needle phobia and also detesting having my spinal cord on my back touched (a bit if an odd one but its very sensitive and I can't bear to have anyone near it) so couple those together and I'm really struggling. Even if I could go through that its major abdominal surgery and there are few other such large ops they would have you awake for normally so there's a squeamish element to being awake while knowing all that is taking place. The final thing is if there is some complication with me (blood transfusion or god forbid worse), then I would be freaking out to be conscious for that. Everything is leading towards a general for me. I really do wish I could go down the spinal route as of course it would be lovely to see his first moments but that joy for me, I think, isn't sufficient to outweigh the huge anxiety I have about the op. Its funny but everyone keeps asking if in excited and the answer is no - I will be but right now I can't see past the c section. I know its a big op but a routine one yet still I can't get on top of the anxiety, which is annoying x

Multiple things for me really. The first is having a big needle phobia and also detesting having my spinal cord on my back touched (a bit if an odd one but its very sensitive and I can't bear to have anyone near it) so couple those together and I'm really struggling. Even if I could go through that its major abdominal surgery and there are few other such large ops they would have you awake for normally so there's a squeamish element to being awake while knowing all that is taking place. The final thing is if there is some complication with me (blood transfusion or god forbid worse), then I would be freaking out to be conscious for that. Everything is leading towards a general for me. I really do wish I could go down the spinal route as of course it would be lovely to see his first moments but that joy for me, I think, isn't sufficient to outweigh the huge anxiety I have about the op. Its funny but everyone keeps asking if in excited and the answer is no - I will be but right now I can't see past the c section. I know its a big op but a routine one yet still I can't get on top of the anxiety, which is annoying x

Dont be annoyed with yourself hun its completely natural to be worried about it all especially with the needle phobia and the spinal cord thing. I think under your circumstances i would be considering a general too as they have to do your local anesthetic injection first into your back so you would feel that one ( i didnt feel the spinal going in even though they put an epidural tube in too at the same time). You can ask them in theatre to take your camera and take lots of photo's hun so that you dont miss those first precious moments. xxx

Me too. I will talk with my Dr. this Wednesday about it. Maybe when I'm hit 38-39 weeks sometimes in between ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->