Anyone else never announced on Facebook?

Mum2BKW

Reaction score
Hubbie said to me last night "so I guess we're not going to do the whole Facebook announcement thing then?"

We had agreed early on that we wouldn't do the 12 week Facebook announcement because we felt that we both had too many Facebook 'friends' who we aren't that close to (ex-colleagues, old classmates etc) and we wanted to tell our proper friends in a more personal way - which we did.

Yesterday someone Hubbie used to work with announced their pregnancy by putting a scan up, and it just occurred to him that we had never said anything on FB and he wondered whether we ought to before baby shows up. Personally I feel that we might as well now wait until baby arrives.

Anyone else in a similar position? It is weird to have a FB friend suddenly posting pictures of their baby with no prior announcement of their pregnancy?

I never 'announced' on FB.

I only ahve friends on there who know anyway, and I do have pregnant/baby status updates.

But I also won't be posting baby photos on there either, so I don't really see the point in me ever formally annoucning.

If people are important enough we'll see them or phone them.

We havnt announced on FB for the same reasons as you. We both have alot of people who arnt that close to us anymore on FB and we didnt feel that they deserved to know our special news! We are just going to put a picture up of baby once she is here with "We would like to introduce the brand new member of our family.." and then with a name and weight and do it like that. There are members of my family who have no idea that im pregnant because im just not that close to them and i only wanted people knowing who are genuinely interested in our news.

I never announced on Facebook. I can't stand Facebook, and while I begrudgingly use it for a few things, I didn't feel like announcing there.

I have friends that never announced and just posted baby pics, or family pics. If you aren't close to those on FB that's what I would do. I only have people close to me on FB and I am always cleaning out people that I have lost touch with because I like to be more private

We haven't announced on Facebook. Last pregnancy we did at 13 weeks, posting the ultrasound pic and all, only to have to take it down days later when we found out the pregnancy wasn't viable. Having to do that was added salt to the wound. DH and I agreed any future pregnancies would not be mentioned on Facebook and that only when the baby is in our arms will we post pictures etc.

Well, for 32 weeks we did a great job of keeping it off of Facebook, until a few of my friends posted pics from my shower, which I didn't realize until the next day:dohh: We still haven't formally said anything.

I announced it but due to the number of people prying into my personal pregnancy business. I have deleted and blocked most people except only my closest and a few networking connections I can't afford to lose. I don't feel like you have to post anything on fb you don't want to and people shouldn't take it personally. I think the problem is people feel they are privet (sp?) to everyone's intimate details because social medias enabled them.

Also wanted to add that I do not want any pics of my lo posted maybe at all but for the first while. If I catch any family posted I will lose my mind. Might sound strange but with dd being a preemie people were constantly hounding us for details..... This time I just want peace and quiet and things to be on our terms.

I announced on FB after i had informed my close friends. I only have people i actually know personally on my FB (with a few exceptions from BNB! ) and i was quite happy for them to know.
I also have updates, so it has saved alot of "is she here yet" questions lol.

I did wait until i was almost 18 weeks before i let people know due to a previous loss.

My pictures are set private to view by selected people only.

I never did because my mother was kind enough to do it for me at 4 weeks along, she didn't even wait until the HPT was dry.

Needless to say, I got rid of FB after that!

No, I didn't. I told my actual friends in person or on the phone. I have a number of people on my FB who I went to school with or worked with....not people that I would call up and ask to go to a movie or dinner, so not what I consider 'real' friends...they have no need to know. I don't plan on posting any baby pics on FB either. I don't even know why I have a FB account really, I don't post anything to it.

We've not posted anything on the book for the same reasons as you all! I'm also loving the idea of the shock that some people will have when a photo of mother and baby inevitably appear!
I have found some people really annoying in the past and thought it would be hypocritical of me doing the same, I have found this site a lot more beneficial if I have needed a rant or advice as opposed to posting personal info to people I've not seen for donkeys years!

We never announced on Facebook. I have ltttc friends on fb that I wouldn't want to upset and I am always worried that something will go wrong so will wait for baby to be in my arms before I tell anyone. We've told family, a couple of really close friends and work but that's it. Most ppl don't even know.

Was 'outed' by my bigmouthed big sister when I was about 19 weeks. I managed to persuade her to delete her status, but one of my cousins had already posted a reply - so I had to message her too to request that she kept it quiet.

... The had to message my nephew to request he delete HIS congratulatory status update.

Anyway - Then at 21 weeks I went to a lunch with some old friends and their bumps/babies. Was outed AGAIN by one of them posting pics and tagging me (looking gargantuan)... to her credit my mate did twig and immediately posted a private message apologising and asking if I wanted to be untagged.

By the time I realised what had happened, there were already a couple of 'likes' from mutual friends... and I really couldn't be arsed with it anymore.

Had a word with boyf and we decided to sort of get it out in the open after 24 weeks, so, on 'v' day, I posted a random status update with a sly 'PS - I'm up the duff' on the end and OH posted some stuff about me getting fat(ter) and being hormonal (he's in the Army and thinks these things are funny... apparently it's not a boy, it's a rather large digestive biscuit...).

Anyway... Yes - did announce on FaceAche, but really didn't really choose to.

I never announced anything on Facebook until little fella was born. I personally feel that some things are just nice to keep between my partner and I. And when 'old' school friends and people I haven't spoken to in years said "I didn't know you we're even pregnant???" I responded with "why would you know? We haven't spoke in over 10 years."

I never announced for the same reasons as OP :) I will announce when he's born though! :winkwink:

Thanks for all your replies :thumbup: It's good to know that not everyone shares their pregnancy on FB and that maybe it's not so weird to just post a 'family' pic after baby is born.

I'm sure I'll post the odd pic of baby once he/she is here but don't plan on flooding my page with baby pictures - in a strange way I feel I still want to have my own identity on there rather than becoming 'Mummy' 100%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->