Anyone else struggle with establishing feeds?

Aliza2010

Reaction score
My 28.6 weeker had yet another feeding problem. He is doing great with everything else but feeding is a big issue.
He is 3 weeks old and we have had to stop his feeds 4 times now. He was doing great few days ago and seemed to be tolerating the breast milk and he is opening his bowels too but last night he vomitted and his belly was hard and distended again. They did more x rays which showed a loopy bowel and air. After 24 hours off feeds his tummy looks good again so they have re started his feeds. But I know in a day or 2 it will be the same again.
Anyone else go through something similar?

Hiya

My little girl (ex 28 weeker) had the same problem while she was in NICU, the doctors stopped and started her feeds 4 times in total and put her back into intensive for closer observation. They were concerned she had NEC due to her compromised blood flow in the womb. She never did get it and in the end they just put it down to her premature tummy and said it would settle the closer she got to her due date, and it did. I'd say she got better with tolerating her milk when she was around 33/34 weeks.

I know its worrying and you feel like you take 2 steps forward and 1 step back but you do get there in the end. Fingers crossed for you and your little one that it settles down soon.

X

Hiya

My little girl (ex 28 weeker) had the same problem while she was in NICU, the doctors stopped and started her feeds 4 times in total and put her back into intensive for closer observation. They were concerned she had NEC due to her compromised blood flow in the womb. She never did get it and in the end they just put it down to her premature tummy and said it would settle the closer she got to her due date, and it did. I'd say she got better with tolerating her milk when she was around 33/34 weeks.

I know its worrying and you feel like you take 2 steps forward and 1 step back but you do get there in the end. Fingers crossed for you and your little one that it settles down soon.

X

Thanks for the reply.
Yes I also had blood flow problems when pregnant. I was diagnosed with absent end diastolic flow. I am concerned too of serious infections as a result. I hope it is just normal issues and nothing else. We seem to be doing so well for a few days and then have to stop feeds due to distended tummy etc

Is there any chance he could be lactose intolerant which could be causing the distended tummy (my friends girl was and it did the same thing - they suspected NEC but it was just the lactose)

Hiya! Ive never posted here before but been a long time lurker. My little man was boring on 28th of Jan at 28+6 weeks. Like your LO he was one and off his feeds a few times due to him blowing up his belly, which was both scary (due to them worry about NEC every time it happened) and frustrating. For a while i was going out of my mind, until i found another mum in NICU whose baby was going through the same thing. All the nurses told me that it can be quite common for babies to do this because their digestive system is very immature and cannot cope. Both mine and the other mums baby started to tolerate their feeds better around 34/35 weeks so hopefully yours will turn that corner very soon.
Sorry this was a bit long but i just wanted to help put your mind at rest that you're not the only person who is going through this with their LO.

Hiya! Ive never posted here before but been a long time lurker. My little man was boring on 28th of Jan at 28+6 weeks. Like your LO he was one and off his feeds a few times due to him blowing up his belly, which was both scary (due to them worry about NEC every time it happened) and frustrating. For a while i was going out of my mind, until i found another mum in NICU whose baby was going through the same thing. All the nurses told me that it can be quite common for babies to do this because their digestive system is very immature and cannot cope. Both mine and the other mums baby started to tolerate their feeds better around 34/35 weeks so hopefully yours will turn that corner very soon.
Sorry this was a bit long but i just wanted to help put your mind at rest that you're not the only person who is going through this with their LO.

Thank you so much for the reply! :flower:
Yes your experience sounds exactly like what we are going through. One of the doctors also said the same that it is because his gut is immature and hopefully it will catch up soon but at the same time she explained that it was important to stop feeds and remain cautious when his tummy blows up and becomes hard. I hope my LO starts to tolerate feeds soon x

Yes your experience sounds exactly like what we are going through. One of the doctors also said the same that it is because his gut is immature and hopefully it will catch up soon but at the same time she explained that it was important to stop feeds and remain cautious when his tummy blows up and becomes hard. I hope my LO starts to tolerate feeds soon x
;
I hope so too because once the feeds are sorted all the other stuff seems to click into place. it seems like a vicious circle when you are in it doesn't it, tummy blows up, stop the feeds and start antibiotics, cultures come back OK so start the feeds again etc etc. I also notice you are in Yorkshire, was just wondering which hospital you were in? I had my LO at Hull women and children's who were wonderful, but I heard many great things about Sheffield and Grimsby too.

;
I hope so too because once the feeds are sorted all the other stuff seems to click into place. it seems like a vicious circle when you are in it doesn't it, tummy blows up, stop the feeds and start antibiotics, cultures come back OK so start the feeds again etc etc. I also notice you are in Yorkshire, was just wondering which hospital you were in? I had my LO at Hull women and children's who were wonderful, but I heard many great things about Sheffield and Grimsby too.

We were supposed to be admitted to Leeds general infirmary but ate at Bradford royal infirmary. So far they seem very good. The doctors and consultants are wonderful but one or two of the nurses here are a little annoying!! I know they are the professionals but sometimes mothers just know best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->