Anyone ever been a bone marrow donor?

Yo_Yo

Reaction score
It's something I've been intending to do for a while is sign up to be a donor. So I took the plunge and I signed up tonight. :)
Saw an advert on tv with this little girl who needed a bone marrow match, and it broke my heart as a mum myself :cry:

Has anyone here signed up/donated bone marrow?

I'm with them too. Had to get blood tests done at doctors to send off to them but never been requested to donate yet. They often ring to get me to donate money as well tho.

Thanks. I was so surprised that the cut off to sign up is 30. I'm 27, so hopefully will get to donate before I'm passed it! :haha:

I was sent the ''spit kit'' which you send back then received my welcome pack.

No bloods taken. If you flag up as a match at any point for someone they'll then request bloods.

I think though its really really rare to get called to donate.

I'm signed up but haven't donated! Apparently it's very noninvasive and similar to giving blood.

I'm signed up but haven't donated! Apparently it's very noninvasive and similar to giving blood.

Well I figured if I've given birth twice, I can cope with it if I get called up :haha:

I was thinking of dong it but to shared in case anything happens to me

I was thinking of dong it but to shared in case anything happens to me

What are you worried will happen to you hun?

I'm on the Antony Nolan register but haven't been matched. DH got flagged as a match and was meant to go to London for tests but then got told he wasn't needed any more :(

I've been thinking about this as I really want to give blood but can't as I've had a blood transfusion.
What do they do to take it? Is it like giving blood where you just make it up again? :flower:

Eta can you donate more then once?

I am although I've not been called. My Dad was diagnosed with Leukaemia 4 years ago has been clear for just over a year now. His brother saved his life.

I am although I've not been called. My Dad was diagnosed with Leukaemia 4 years ago has been clear for just over a year now. His brother saved his life.

Wow, his brother is a hero! Great to hear he is in the clear : )

I signed up when I last gave blood, they took an extra blood sample for it, I guess it was so I could be matched if possible. As far as I know its either donation like a blood sample, or you might have to have spinal fluid taken (this is rare). Ive had an epidural before so don't mind. I imagine that the risks are similar for both an epidural and a spinal donation. X

My husband was 38 when he signed up. He had to give a saliva swab and that was all. He hasn't been called to be a donor yet.

I've been thinking about this as I really want to give blood but can't as I've had a blood transfusion.
What do they do to take it? Is it like giving blood where you just make it up again? :flower:

Eta can you donate more then once?

Can anyone help with these questions? X

https://www.anthonynolan.org/8-ways-you-could-save-life/donate-your-stem-cells

Thank you for that. Is it only
London you can donate at? As don't live near by x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member