Anyone ever reupholstered an infant car seat?

Darlin65

Married with a Munchkin
Reaction score
We have a graco snugride seat that I would like to just redo to match the double stroller we are planning on getting rather than paying for a whole new seat. Especially so I can make it a little girly if we have a girl but still match the gender neutral color of the stroller. Has anyone tackled this before? We are leaning to this lovely bright yellow stroller but it is hard to find a reasonable yellow car seat at all really. I've found one but it's almost as much as the stroller itself :dohh:

Doing something like that would not be reccomended, due to safety regulations. The fabric used in manufacturing infant seats is supposed to be fire resistant, so to switch it out for regular fabric would compromise the safety rating on the seat....

I found your comment interesting so I googled it. From what I found many of the major car seats are not using the flame ******ant chemicals on their seats any longer because they are toxic. There was actually a petition to stopping Graco from using them any longer on their products. Definitely something to look into but I don't see it as quite the safety concern as long as I don't try to change the buckles and things. The main piece I wanted to change was the canopy anyway.

I can't believe it marked my word as being foul language. So you know what it said it was basically saying flame resistant, I just used the proper term.

I also just discovered that your insurance won't cover your child in an accident then though so totally not worth it.

I know some of the standards have changed, but I just bought my seat new, and it states right on the instruction manual that any alterations to the padding (aka seat cover) or buckles will void warranty. I didn't know about the insurance part though! That's crazy! And also I have to agree with you that changing the umbrella would be ok... Odd that it's not. From your original post I just assumed you meant the actual seat cover part.
PS that is very odd the flagged your word lol.
Have you looked into carseat canopys? I bought one for my seat and it's essentially just a loose blanket (lots of colors and patterns to choose from) that velcros onto the carry handle, so it keeps baby warm and shielded and looks super cute. They are available on Etsy and there is a company online called carseatcanopy.com I think?

The canopy is a good idea! Often you can also buy replacement covers by the original manufacturer, which wouldn't compromise safety. We have a maxi cosi and I just bought a maxi cosi summer cover, to change the colour. Full replacement covers are more expensive but still much cheaper than buying a whole new seat.

Yeah, I already contacted Graco about a new cover but they don't have one in the right color :( Idk. I really liked the pattern on the more expensive carseat so maybe I will just try to find the stroller secondhand or on sale.

Shame you can't change the canopy :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->