Anyone experience heavy/long lasting periods?

tcinks

Reaction score
Just trying to see how other women deal with them. I have fibroids, which I think contributes to my heavy flow. Typically one cycle will be moderate, and the next will be heavy. Just guess back and forth. Well now I'm having my first cycle after a miscarriage and it's awful! Not too much cramping, but lots of bleeding! And it's been over a week. So much. I've been looking up different ways to deal wIth it but none had helped. A lot of people suggest birth control, but I obviously want to get pregnant so that won't work.

Just wondering if any other ladies here have this problem and what you do. :) Thanks!

I always had heavy periods, about a week long at the most, and then I got the Paragard IUD and it has made them much worse, the cramps are intolerable, and I bleed a lot, it sucks. :( I also had a MC a year and a half ago, but I was not as far along as you were...I'm so sorry for your loss. I will pray that you can conceive again quickly and that it goes smoothly.

Thank you! I appreciate that :)

I'm sorry for your loss too. Do you plan to try again soon?

We are planning to TTC in 5 months, hoping to pay off a few debts by then. That is what DH wants, I want to start now. Ha ha.

Mine are just awful nothing works some months in the past I've had to take tablets to stop the bleeding.
I've got a uterine birth defect which contributes to it.
I'm in agony some months, heavy bleeding, diarrhoea, nausea and headaches.
It's awful!
The only thing that worked for me was depo.
But that left me not able to get pregnant for 2 years after last shot!!
Never again and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Sbl that sounds awful! :( how long does it usually last?

5/7 days on average since I was 10!!
The joys of being a woman eh?? Lol

Dang, that's pretty awful... see those are the symptoms I had when I was ON the shot...I didn't stop bleeding for the 6 months I was on it. So, I guess it worked as far as controlling getting pregnant because we never could actually BD. LOL

I typically have long/heavy periods, too. Once in a great while they won't be too bad but normally they're heavy, last 5-7 days, and there's a lot of horrible cramping. My doctor suspects I have endometriosis, though. :( I haven't really found anything that makes it better, so I can't be much help. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone. Hopefully your period stops soon for you.

I'm also very sorry for your loss. :hugs:

My periods have always lasted between 9 and 21 days, the shortest being 7 days and the longest at 72 days. How do I cope? Well, how can one cope with bleeding that long, lol? Basically, I indulge in some chocolate, have sex to relieve any cramping, cuddle up with a good book, and invest in the ultra size Tampax tampons and pads. They are a must have. I am so sorry for your loss and hope your periods get back on track.

My periods have always lasted between 9 and 21 days, the shortest being 7 days and the longest at 72 days. How do I cope? Well, how can one cope with bleeding that long, lol? Basically, I indulge in some chocolate, have sex to relieve any cramping, cuddle up with a good book, and invest in the ultra size Tampax tampons and pads. They are a must have. I am so sorry for your loss and hope your periods get back on track.

Oh my! That sounds crazy! Have they always been that way? Did anyone ever tell you why? Well its good you find ways to get through it. :) And thanks for your kind words. :hugs:

Oh my! That sounds crazy! Have they always been that way? Did anyone ever tell you why? Well its good you find ways to get through it. :) And thanks for your kind words. :hugs:

They have always been that way, although the 72 day period was 7 months after having my son. Prior to pregnancy, my periods were normally between the 9 and 21 days, averaging about 14 days and the longest being 27 days. I was diagnosed pcos based upon symptoms alone (abnormal hair growth, unexplained weight gain, missed and heavy periods, etc..), but then there were no cysts of any kind on my first pregnancy ultrasound. So, I am not convinced there is any real reason, or that I have pcos. Another thing you can do is make sure you get a little bit extra iron. When you bleed for too long, sometimes you get a bit lightheaded after a while. The extra iron helps (eat a steak or two). And a heartland of you don't have one for cramps.

My Aunt Flo is bipolar. This is how she was this year, sorry so long:

We were going on a month long trip in Sept. out of the country, and we were going to start to conceive at that time. Instead, we started earlier, in April. My period didn't come, I thought for sure I was pregnant, then it came a week late and stuck around for a full 3 damn weeks.

In the meantime I had gone into my doctor for my yearly as well as a pre-conception consultation with the NP(my period started the following day). Everything is normal, Aunt Flo makes herself comfy for the next 3 weeks. Then my period stops, I go and do labwork, and it turns out I was not ovulating AT ALL. I have another pre-conception consultation, this time with my OB. By now it had been more than a month again, and this time Aunt Flo was awol, she was not showing up, and I was DEFINITELY not pregnant.

My doctor said, ok we will give her until July 1st to make an appearance, if she doesn't then I go on Provera for 10 days followed by clomid. Provera, btw, is used to start your period as well as stop it. From my understanding doctors use provera (progesterone) specifically for women who are having menstruation problems and are TTC. I have read several forum stories of women using provera to get their periods to stop in order to calculate ovulation.

So go on Provera for 10 days... 11th day Aunt Flo shows up on my doorstep. She only stays for five days. First cycle of clomid at 50 mg. Go do labwork. Progsterone at 10, a strong start the nurse says.

Second round of clomid, this time at 100 mg. AF comes, stays 3 days, leaves. Progesterone this time at 28. Nurse and doc highly encouraged.

Third round of clomid, 100 mg again. AF comes and goes 3 days again. By now we are on our trip and I had no ovulation kit and was not temping. I was relying on cervical mucus, lol.

19dpo I got a faint positive. I'm 12 weeks pregnant now.

I know having those crazy periods are horrible. When my period decides to stay around for so long it literally interferes with my life. If you are actively ttc I would go to the doctor for a pre-conception interview and see what they suggest. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->