Anyone find out theyre expecting while still smoking?

angelbump

Reaction score
I feel absolutely awful writing this but wanted to know if im alone.
I know im not the first pregnant woman to smoke in early pregnancy but i feel awful. I need to know whats safe in the way of smoking substitutes during pregnancy but dont see my doc till friday-hopefully then i can get patches or gum to help stave the cravings!

Im sure eventually ill completely go off the smell, taste and everything!
And iv already cut down but i only found out 2 days ago and havent even missed my period date yet.

I AM QUITTING asap!
But just wanted to know if anyone has found out and knows whats sfae to use in pregnancy as a sustitute?

Thankyou x

I was when we found out and I was quite a moderate smoker, but I gave up cold turkey as patches are not recommended. I don't know if you can have any nicotine replacement but my hospital did offer a support group, might be worth looking into. Good luck chick :hugs:

Thankyou so much for answering.
Im so scared and feel awful when i smoke i just wish i never did!

Hopefully the docs will have something to ease cravings maybe even the gum or spray? Im so nervous about the docs judging me but luckily my partner is really supportive and is quitting with me :)

x

Don't beat yourself up hun, you are seeking help to stop and that's great. I have found i'm not craving at all and that shocked me as i have tried so many times to stop and always failed! :hugs: xx

Thankyou, i have cut out pointless cigarrettes, you know the ones where you just do because your bored but quitting full stop is so hard but im so determined and the sooner the better!
I really hope they make me sick within the next few weeks so i dont want them anymore and thatll lessen the cravings!

Congrats on your pregnancy by the way, how far gone are you? x

That's a fantastic start, If you contact your GP tomorrow they will refer you to the hospitals smoking cessation group who will be able to help.

I'm 5+5 .. So early days and due August like you :) xx

I feel absolutely awful writing this but wanted to know if im alone.
I know im not the first pregnant woman to smoke in early pregnancy but i feel awful. I need to know whats safe in the way of smoking substitutes during pregnancy but dont see my doc till friday-hopefully then i can get patches or gum to help stave the cravings!

Im sure eventually ill completely go off the smell, taste and everything!
And iv already cut down but i only found out 2 days ago and havent even missed my period date yet.

I AM QUITTING asap!
But just wanted to know if anyone has found out and knows whats sfae to use in pregnancy as a sustitute?

Thankyou x[/QUOTE

I was smoking on my first when I found out but then got one of them white fags from the doctors there isn't much u can use but u can also have the chewing gum which my doctors gave me but I didn't like it but worth ago as my friend liked it.

Sometimes the doctors won't deal with smoking related things depends on where you live u might have to ring the nhs smoking line. So might be worth ringing doctors before just to see if they do

By the way with my second I craved real fags so you might not go off them, only this time does the smell of fags make me feel sick so does the smell of energy drinks and I haven't smoked for yrs nw!!

Good luck in quitting sounds like ur doing well so far x

Thankyou so much sarahtia. I live in essex so docs should hopefully help out as theyll know I smoke from history. Before I found out I saw a girl about to drop standing outside the shopping centre smoking away and I swore I would never ever be that girl! No matter how hard it is.
I have cut down already so hopefully weening and then stopping should be a little easier than stopping outright x

I was with my son and my midwife was doing a quitting smoking programme which combined nicotine replacement therapy with exercise so I had patches and went to the gym and when I was 16 weeks I was successful! That was 3 years ago and best decision of my life. Maybe try the patches and exercise is good for beating cravings although I didn't stick at it for long. I hope you manage to quit xxx

Thankyou, im sure I will be successful too. And well done to you :)
Its a daunting thought but me smoking and harming the baby to be is an even worse thought.
Xx

When I got pregnant with my son I gave up just like that. Instant.
Then I stupidly started again when I got a stressful job. Made the job bearable but wasn't worth it.
So when I found out this time I looked for the same willpower I had before. It just wasn't there! Maybe because this baby was more of a surprise, or, well I don't know. I tried gum, didn't really help. I tried patches, took them off and smoked. I tried not having any ciggies and I borrowed them off colleagues.
Finally last week I just put them down. I've had one bad day since but I think I'm finally there. I won't start again now, why go through this again?

I honestly think it's the fear if not having them that's worse than actually going cold turkey. Take it one hour at a time like I did :)

Weirdly I found having one in my bag helped. i never smoked it, it eventually got battered in my bag but it was all psycological, i knew it was there, and that was fine, if i didnt have any on me id freak out :dohh:

It worked though. the patches made me swell up :(

I was using the e-cig the vapour ones - my Dr said they were fine to use as its basically vegetable extract and food flavouring - but as they havent had that much research done on them im a bit weary xxx

I was... I was with my daughter and I stopped the day I found out... (light smoker)...
This time around ive did the same... I find having something in my hands like a hair band or something helps... my OH is a smoker so its more annoying then craving cos I want one outta habit more then need one x

I gave up a long time ago. I had many failed attempts at qutting and was a hard core smoker....cig first thing in the morning, every break, last thing at night.... that kind of thing.

I was thinking about it the other day. I was only able to give up when I wanted to. Before that I hadn't really wanted to. I'd say "I want to quit because of the cost", but what I really meant is "I want cigarettes to be cheaper". I'd say "I want to quit to be healthier", but what I meant was "I wish cigarettes were healthier". I only gave up when I thought "I don't want to smoke any more".

I always found nicotine replacement just moved the addiction from thing to another. In the end what I did was use gum for 2 weeks to end the everyday routine of smoking and then after 2 weeks (far less than recommended) went cold turkey on nicotine, swapping the nicotine gum for normal mints. The first 72 hours without nicotine are hard, but after that its a lot easier.

I haven't smoked for years but I was a dedicated 20-30 a day smoker for 10 years. I got the book and DVD 'Allen carrs easy way to stop smoking. After reading the book twice and watching the DVD I stopped cold turkey and never looked back. He sad the patches and any replacement therapy just keeps you addicted so makes you want to smoke more. Google it, amazon sell it. I don't work for his company I promise, I just know how hard it can be to face stopping but for me in the end it was easy and exciting and the best thing I ever did xxx

Agreed with Celesse, after the first 72 hours it's easy street. Seriously get the book it's on amazon from £3 something. How much is a pack of 20 cigarettes now?? If I were you though I'd get the book with the CDs, and the DVD too. You can always sell them on amazon again in a few weeks!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_s...en+Carr+smoking&rh=i:aps,k:allen+Carr+smoking

Patches are just fine during pregnancy, and were prescribed for me alongside 'councelling' with my first. I quit around 8 weeks with my first and was on NRT we into week 20. Good luck, I was a big 20 a day smoker, and if I can do it, anyone can!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->