Anyone got a tattoo?

MumMumMum

Mummy to two girls x
Reaction score
I have wanted one for years and finally have one booked for January. I'm nervous about the pain but excited to get it done.

I'm having my daughters' birth flowers and two butterflies on the top of my foot.

Any advice/tips?

Feel free to show off your tattoos and experiences!

I have wanted one for years and finally have one booked for January. I'm nervous about the pain but excited to get it done.

I'm having my daughters' birth flowers and two butterflies on the top of my foot.

Any advice/tips?

Feel free to show off your tattoos and experiences!

I've got 6 tattoos altogether, the first time I had one I was absoloutely petrified as I'm really scared of needles and a bit of a wimp but it was nothing like I imagined and it's actually quite relaxing!

I've got: tribal on the side of my hand, butterflies on my foot, "live, laugh, love" on the back of my kneck, flower on my left wrist, husbands name on my right wrist and "mum & dad" on my shoulder.

I'm going to get LO's name on my other foot and then I think I'm done :thumbup:

I've got 6 tattoos altogether, the first time I had one I was absoloutely petrified as I'm really scared of needles and a bit of a wimp but it was nothing like I imagined and it's actually quite relaxing!

This is good to hear - I am also a wimp and scared of needles!

Petrified of needles and terrified of pain and I am having my seventh done once I'm done BF my Little Man.

Don't go in to it thinking it will hurt. The more relaxed you are, the less it will hurt. Don't have a drink to calm any nerves, this will thin the blood and make you bleed more and if the artist suspects you have had a drink, they shouldn't tattoo you. Some parts hurt more than others but generally, it's never as bad as people think.

Best of luck.

This is good to hear - I am also a wimp and scared of needles!

You will be fine :winkwink: I have a really low pain threshold and tattoos are a diddle! I wouldn't of had so many if they hurt. You can get numbing cream which costs about £2.50 but think that needs to be applied around 2 hours before you have the tattoo. I think tattoos are really addictive, it wont be like anything you imagine it to be. I got myself into a right state before I had my first one but it was fine :) just make sure you have something to eat before hand, I didn't and ended up going a bit dizzy because my blood pressure dropped but I have low blood pressure anyway x

Petrified of needles and terrified of pain and I am having my seventh done once I'm done BF my Little Man.

Don't go in to it thinking it will hurt. The more relaxed you are, the less it will hurt. Don't have a drink to calm any nerves, this will thin the blood and make you bleed more and if the artist suspects you have had a drink, they shouldn't tattoo you. Some parts hurt more than others but generally, it's never as bad as people think.

Best of luck.

Thanks! I don't drink so that won't be a problem!

I'll try and relax like you say.

As someone who's quite heavily tattooed, the above advice is sound. Don't have any booze, you'll bleed loads and lose half the ink, leaving you with a rubbish finished piece. Take water, lucazade, and a mars bar with you. Eat and drink throughout - the adrenaline will do all sorts to your blood sugar and body temperature, and you don't want to pass out! Take something to keep you occupied - I played Angry Birds and read a book at my last sitting, it'll distract your mind. I find that watching makes the pain easier to bear. I can see how much they've done, how much is left, and how it's coming together, which is fascinating to me!
Lastly, don't go thinking its going to be unbearable pain. Pinch the place you're being tattooed - top of your foot isn't so bad. That's the max pain you'll feel, plus some stinging to begin with, before your adrenaline kicks in. Expect it to tickle on your feet, my feet twitched like mad when I had mine done. I always go with the mindset of "It's gonna hurt a bit, there's no two ways around it, but it'll look good after, and my sitting is only an hour or so long. It's worth it!"

I must warn you though, the day after is when it'll hurt you most. I can only describe after-tattoo pain as feeling like your skin has been burnt and shrunk. I couldn't walk for 2 days without it hurting like hell. My feet swelled up and I could only wear sandals (in winter!) that left my whole foot exposed. Worst bit of the whole experience IMO.

Just keep thinking its worth it after at most, a week. Then it'll be healed and look brilliant.
Make sure to moisturise, but don't use Vaseline or Savlon. They'll pull the ink right out.
Hope this helps, sorry for the essay!

As someone who's quite heavily tattooed, the above advice is sound. Don't have any booze, you'll bleed loads and lose half the ink, leaving you with a rubbish finished piece. Take water, lucazade, and a mars bar with you. Eat and drink throughout - the adrenaline will do all sorts to your blood sugar and body temperature, and you don't want to pass out! Take something to keep you occupied - I played Angry Birds and read a book at my last sitting, it'll distract your mind. I find that watching makes the pain easier to bear. I can see how much they've done, how much is left, and how it's coming together, which is fascinating to me!
Lastly, don't go thinking its going to be unbearable pain. Pinch the place you're being tattooed - top of your foot isn't so bad. That's the max pain you'll feel, plus some stinging to begin with, before your adrenaline kicks in. Expect it to tickle on your feet, my feet twitched like mad when I had mine done. I always go with the mindset of "It's gonna hurt a bit, there's no two ways around it, but it'll look good after, and my sitting is only an hour or so long. It's worth it!"

I must warn you though, the day after is when it'll hurt you most. I can only describe after-tattoo pain as feeling like your skin has been burnt and shrunk. I couldn't walk for 2 days without it hurting like hell. My feet swelled up and I could only wear sandals (in winter!) that left my whole foot exposed. Worst bit of the whole experience IMO.

Just keep thinking its worth it after at most, a week. Then it'll be healed and look brilliant.
Make sure to moisturise, but don't use Vaseline or Savlon. They'll pull the ink right out.
Hope this helps, sorry for the essay!

Thank you for all the advice!

I have two, hoping to get a 3rd later this year but the next one after that is waiting until after I'm married next year. I have a bumblebee on my wrist for my best friend as she calls me bumblebee and she has an apple on hers because I call her apple pip (long story). I also have a celtic cross with lily's for the kids. Lillies for lily and the cross because toby means "god is good" it has for stars around it two of whoch have the kids initials in. That's on my lower leg on the inside. My next one will be their dates of birth in roman numerals on the other side. The next after thst is a half sleeve x

Just to add, I've used three different tattoo artists (due to living in different areas) and all have recommended Bepanthen for aftercare. Great stuff.

Just to add, I've used three different tattoo artists (due to living in different areas) and all have recommended Bepanthen for aftercare. Great stuff.

The best stuff I've used for sure!

Yeah bepanthen is fab. Whatever you do do not use sudocrem or vaseline. This is what I was told by two tattoo artists as it draws the ink out and it will fade before it's healed x

I've got a full sleeve, a half sleeve,a full calf piece, a huge piece on my back and behind my ears. I would definitely stick with bepanthen or forever ink salve which is now available in boots but it's not cheap! Bepanthen can be really sticky and hard to spread so put the tube in warm water for a few minutes before you use it.

And the itch, don't do it! It will drive you insane but resist the urge to scratch lol.

Good luck <3

Yes don't itch. My small bumblebee tattoo has a small faded patch on the wing because I scratched it x

I have a side piece that I have wanted for about 4 years now but I knew I had to wait until after having children as it's all over my side. I'm hoping to get it next spring after I've lost the baby weight!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->