anyone got trichotillomania?

hellohefalump

Reaction score
or is it just me?

My hair's pretty bad at the moment. It's getting to the point where I'm going to have to start wearing a head scarf again soon :-(

I've had trichotillomania since I was 11, nearly 12 and it has been pretty bad at times. I thought it had got better, but recently it's got a lot worse again.

Does anyone have any tips?

Sorry, no experience, but thought I'd drop by with :hug:
Has anything helped you in the past? Counselling or some kind of behavioural therapy?

No, nothings helped in the past :-( except getting anorexia and becoming too obsessed with food, to worry about pulling out my hair! But obviously that's not ideal!!

thanks for replying :)

Wow, talk about extreme therapy methods! :dohh:
Sorry, I don't have experience so I hope these aren't stupid questions. What situation are you most likely to start pulling? Relaxed or stressed? Out and about or at home? Does it help prevent you if you wear something on your head?
How are you in general? Is there something that is stressing you more than normal and could be a trigger to this latest bout?
You don't have to answer if you don't want to. After all, I really don't know anything about this subject so won't be much help apart from listening (reading) xxx

I mostly pull when I'm relaxed! I know that might seem strange... but I tend to do it in front of the telly, and in bed! It has helped me in the past to wear something on my head, so maybe I'll try that again. It helps because sometimes I start pulling my hair out and I'm not even aware of it!

In general, I'm not too bad. I'm a bit stressed because OH is leaving his job and we're taking a big risk, and going into property development together, full time! But really I'm pleased he's leaving, because although the money side is scary, it means I'll get to see a lot more of him during the day and I'll feel a lot more supported than I do at the moment. I had a bit of a breakdown last October. I started a college course in September, and it was just too much pressure. My depression came back BIG TIME, to the point where I was suicidal. But that's gradually got better since I left the course and at the moment I'm pretty good.

I've no idea what's triggering it... when I first started when I was twelve I wasn't even aware I was doing it until my developing bald patch got a sun burn! So that made me pull even more because it was irritated! I've had an on/off bald patch ever since, which gets better when my eating disorder gets worse... :dohh: but to be honest I'd rather be pulling my hair out than anorexic any day! At one point I even shaved my whole head! And every time it grew back long enough to pull out, I shaved it again! Trouble is... then I looked like a lesbian (no offence to lesbians, I'm just talking stereotypes) :flower:

Lol at the head shaving. I get the relaxed thing. When I am particularly stressed I get bouts of nail biting. I'm only just about over my latest phase. I bite mostly when I'm watching tv, at work in front of the computer etc. This latest phase I 'treated' myself by painting my nails and knitting in front of the telly to keep my hands busy.
Maybe wearing a hat while you are most relaxed and in the privacy of your own home will make you more aware of what you are doing. We both know you can take the hat off and continue, lol, but that's a conscious effort, I hope. I've convinced myself that nail polish is toxic, but that only stops me while my nails are pristine. One chip and I'm done for!
I'm looking at my nails now. Need to repolish quickly before self destruction sets in again :D

You are a very brave lady for dealing with this full-on :thumbup: I'm sorry I couldn't help you much, but I'm thinking of you xxx

I have it :nope: Haven't really got any advice sorry :hugs: I don't know how to help myself, let alone anyone else :haha: :hugs:

Just found this thread. I've got Trich as well... And you know, the obsession with something ELSE is what kinda made me stop as well... I never really though of it that way. I never had anorexia per se, but I did become extremely into fitness and health, and I stopped for about 5-6 years and afterwards only did it occasionally, and never to the point where I'd pull so much out that I'd have bald spots. Now I am pulling pretty severely again, and I'm afraid it's going to rtesult in noticable bald spots (I have one that I can keep covered if I style my hair the right way).

This is the single most frustrating thing I have ever been through, and the more pain it causes the more I want to do it... so the more I pull, the more I want to pull... it's like a cycle. I think after baby is born maybe I will be able to get back to a health fitness routine and that might help again. Certain foods are supposed to either trigger or aleviate the pulling... I haven't experimented with the food theories though as I have been pregnent for the majority of the time I have even known about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->