anyone had a d and c?

Eternal

Three boys!
Reaction score
i know they used to be use a lot to treat heavy and irregualr periods but they dont seem to be common now. I am thinking of asking about it tomorrow at my appt.

anyone had any experineces?
i heard i doesnt affect fertility, and can really help reduce bleeding and help with irrgeularity! i realise its surgery but they are talking about surgery that will make me infertile. i am only 26 and despirate to have more babies.

any advice welcomed. thanks xxx

lots of people have for mcs, to remove the remnants of a pregnancy.

I didnt know you could have one to remove your period, seems a bit drastic unless you are referring to something else and I am mistaken ?

i have bleed heavy for 9 months, i am extremely anemic and the option i was given was a hysteretomy (at 26!!!!) so this is a lot less drastic in those terms. i can hardly leave the house because i (TMI) hemoragge (like nothing can contain the blood and it runs down my legs) if i do too much, and i also faint from blood loss.

Every doc gives different ideas, although they all think its probably going to be surgery to either remove everything or mircro-wave something, either way i cant have babies.

They want me to have a coil until i decide on that, although and d and c may be the better all round option and may give my last opportunity to have another baby.

anyone had any simular experiences?

Hiya,

I had a D & C after a missed miscarriage in 08. They basically suction (and sometimes scrape) out tissue needing to be removed. I was under general anaesthesia so did not feel a thing. Sometimes, people get cramps and aches after but I was ok except for the odd twinge. I went onto have a baby in 09 (fell pregnant 3 months after procedure) so it did not affect my fertility negatively.

All the best. xxx

I had one for MMC as well, but have heard of them being used to treat endometriosis.
I also know someone who uses Mirena to treat her endometriosis.

i have had negaitive effects from the implannon and new doc feels i prob would from the iud too, but it might be worth a try in the meantime. but ulitmatley they feel it prob wont help much.

seeing doc later today so will see what he says. seen so many doctors, getting really fed up of being passed from pillar to post.

D&C is not done for (heavy) period problems any more; it is a very old fashioned proceedure and there's not real medical evidence that it works.

Ask about a mirena coil if you are still wanting children in the future. In most women, it stops periods altogether.

Microwave ablation can affect fertility so prob not the best if you are wanting to conceive in the future

xxx

I did last year but it didn't help me tbh. However, I will say this. I had my tubes tied when I had a C-section with my third at 39. Since then, 2 years now, I've had my period twice per month. My problem is that either the tubal litigation caused it or I could be pre-menopausal.

Good luck and I hope it does work for you! :hugs:

I didnt know you could have one to remove your period, seems a bit drastic unless you are referring to something else and I am mistaken ?

A D&C is used if you do suffer frequent periods. It's not drastic really. It's probably really no different than an IUD.

everything had been made more difficult because i am moving, the consulatant had spoken to my go a few times but i am moving 550 miles in 3 weeks so they dont want to do anything or start anything before i go! :S

they want me to see a heamaotoligist (sp? blood doctor) because they feel that maybe i have a blood condition which is causing problems. my anemia is terrible and they just cant get it under control.

i have a few tests but they are leaving things like and d and c until i move, he did say it could help, but since they dont really know what is causing it they dont want to suggest anything.

A D&C is used if you do suffer frequent periods. It's not drastic really. It's probably really no different than an IUD.

but D&C is surgery and an IUD is a small device inserted in the womb :shrug:

i just wonder if it is an option, why they havent mentioned it to you before? its always worth an ask though

they have and its maybe an option but could also make things worse, plus it will only work while its on and things will prob revert to normal when out so a d and c would be more permenant, plus i could maybe still get pregnant!

a iud could make things a lot worse.

d and c doesnt mean messing things up with more chemicals either.

i dont really see it as drastic compared to hysterectomy, in fact its my prefered option

a D&C is only a temporary measure and may not cure your heavy or irregular periods. I work in the medical professions and I have not seen this proceedure done in years!!

Your gynaecologist needs to find out why your periods are like they are.

Cycle control comes from the brain and adrenal glands; the womb just reacts (by building a lining ie period) according to whatever hormones are circulating. By removing the lining of the womb as in a d&c, you are not affecting the cycle control hence not the root of the problem.

A mirena coil may the answer to your problems as it does lighten periods and in the majority of women stops bleeding altogether WITHOUT affecting future fertility. ALso the amount of homone in it is so tiny and not much actually reaches the blood stream (unlike the implanon) so bodily side effects are uncommon.

I hope you get some answers when you move
xxx

a D&C is only a temporary measure and may not cure your heavy or irregular periods. I work in the medical professions and I have not seen this proceedure done in years!!

Your gynaecologist needs to find out why your periods are like they are.

Cycle control comes from the brain and adrenal glands; the womb just reacts (by building a lining ie period) according to whatever hormones are circulating. By removing the lining of the womb as in a d&c, you are not affecting the cycle control hence not the root of the problem.

A mirena coil may the answer to your problems as it does lighten periods and in the majority of women stops bleeding altogether WITHOUT affecting future fertility. ALso the amount of homone in it is so tiny and not much actually reaches the blood stream (unlike the implanon) so bodily side effects are uncommon.

I hope you get some answers when you move
xxx

the consulatant doenst think the coil is a good idea right now, esp when they arnt 100% why its so extreme. some GPs said i should go on the coil but the consulatant just said that some doctors feel it is the miricle cure, which it isnt, based on my history he doenst think its right for me, although he may change his mind and says if i want to try he wouldnt tru and stop me, that its simple to remove if i had further problems with it!

when i was nursing i had patients under going D and Cs and that was only like 5 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->