Anyone had a fundal height that was decieving? Update pg. 2

Spiffynoodles

4 kids 4 and under
Reaction score
A little bit of backstory: My DD had IUGR and was born small, although my fundal height always measured right on so we had no clue until she was born.

This time around I'm measuring a little bit ahead (measured 33 and 1/2 at my 32 week appointment yesterday) and so I'm hoping for a good-sized baby this time around. I have a growth scan this afternoon, and have been feeling optimistic, but at the same time, I don't want to be disappointed if it turns our my fundal height is deceiving once again.

Anyone measured big and actually had a small baby?

I measured 3 weeks ahead from 30 weeks with DS1. He was 7lb12oz or 3.5kg. which was "average" when I say average I mean he was smack on what charts said a baby should be :rofl:

I have been measuring 2/3 weeks ahead since 16 weeks this time, mw thinks bigger baby, I think he is just laying different.

I'm the opposite in my thinking.... Baby has consistently measured a week or two behind, but given my daughter was 8lb5oz, I will be very surprised if this baby is smaller than that. I'd certainly not complain if she was but I suspect it's just the way this one is lying and that it generally sits very low x

My fundal this time is 2/3 weeks behind but actual scans suggest hes bigger then average.

Measured prettyy much spot on with the girls and they were 8lb14 and 9lb2

I'm measuring 3 weeks ahead with fundal height, but just below with scans. I had a 36 week scan this week and they estimate baby to be around 5lbs 9oz at this point. My other kids were 6lbs 2oz, 7lbs 1.5oz and 7lbs 7oz at birth and all measured 2-4 weeks ahead with fundal height!

i was the opposite, with my son i measured small by everyone apart from my midwife! Hence growth scan and early delivery.
This time i measured small, at 38 weeks i measured 31. didnt look very pregnant. My baby was 5lb 10, not growth restriced just small. I believe some people have smaller babies and not necc resrticted. My son was different because his placenta was failing.

Thanks for all your stories. It looks like fundal height isn't really a great determiner of baby's actual size, after all. I'll be sure to update this thread after my growth scan this afternoon!

Definitely not accurate!! I measured big with my boys and they were 8.5lbs at nearly 2 weeks over which is normal. I'm currently measuring 2.5weeks big so got a growth scan but I'm not worried and the scan measurements are notoriously wrong too. But I think it's a good indication of whether your baby is growing ok so definitely best to get a scan but try not to worry

My friend had a term baby weighing 4lbs. Her growth scans said she was having an average 7.5lbs baby and fundal height was on track at each app.

Not that I am saying this is the case with you or anyone else for that matter but it always makes me wonder, How could they have been so wrong?

Good luck for your scan hun! Hoping alls good.
xx

Measuring on 90th percentile, baby is actually 50th after my 4D scan.

Well, he's a big boy! He was measuring 1-2 weeks ahead depending on what body part they measured (his legs were about 2 weeks ahead, so I'm thinking he'll be tall!). They said that according to all the measurements they took (and the tech assured me that she went over each measurement more than once to help rule out error) he's already 5lbs! Considering that DD was only 5lbs 7oz at birth, I was impressed! They estimate that he'll be about 8 pounds at birth. They tried to get a face shot for me, but were having trouble because of my placenta and his position, so the tech switched into 3D and managed to get us this picture (it took her a long time considering the placenta over the top half of his face and the fact that he wanted to keep his hand over his face most of the time). But at least you can see his nose, mouth, and little hand next to his face. :flower:

Attachments

• 2013-05-31 16.33.19.jpg
    2013-05-31 16.33.19.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 11
What great news spiffy!! it gives me a bit of hope my baby will be bigger this time. My daughter was 5lbs 8oz at 40 weeks last time. I measured right on or bigger for Fundal height. We had no idea she was teeny until she popped out!!! This time I'm being given a growth scan at 30 weeks (on Monday) and at 34 weeks so we shall see I guess. I'm worried this baby will be small too xx

At my last mw appointment she said he was measuring 4 weeks too big, I went for a growth scan and he was completely average :)

Makes you wonder why they do it if it's so inconsistent.

What great news spiffy!! it gives me a bit of hope my baby will be bigger this time. My daughter was 5lbs 8oz at 40 weeks last time. I measured right on or bigger for Fundal height. We had no idea she was teeny until she popped out!!! This time I'm being given a growth scan at 30 weeks (on Monday) and at 34 weeks so we shall see I guess. I'm worried this baby will be small too xx

Thank you. :flower: I hope your LO is nice and big this time, too! We've had so many sleeping and feeding issues with my DD, so I'm hoping that having a big healthy baby will help us avoid some if that this time.

Glad you got some good news and baby is a good size x

My fundal height with my lb was always spot on and he ended up being 10lb 6oz at 41+4!!

This time around my fundal height has been spot on till 31 weeks but I had a growth scan that said baby was already measuring 2/3 weeks ahead:dohh:, I then had another scan at 35+5 and again baby is still measuring big but at my check the week before (so 34+4) my fundal height was only 32!! My midwife said I obviously hide my big babies well lol x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->