Anyone had a sigmoidoscopy?

Logan's Mum

....plus Eric : )
Reaction score
As the title suggests, I'm having a sigmoidoscopy in a bit over a weeks time (having a enema before which I have to do at home.....:shy:). Has anyone had one? What did you have it for? What was it like? How long did it take them to get the results back to you? And how was it baring your butt for all to see? :haha: (should have gotten over the embarassment thing after giving birth, especially with stirrups used :dohh:)
Thanks! :thumbup:

I had one last week for bleeding and mucousy poo. I had to take the Moviprep rather than an enema and that was disgusting. The sigmoidoscopy was quite uncomfortable but thats because I declined sedation as they said I wouldnt be able to look after James for 24 hours and OH couldnt take the time off work. The worst part was getting rid of the air after. Had bad tummy ache from trapped wind but the best thing is to not be embarrassed and just fart away. Cures the belly ache in no time. It actually wasnt too bad bareing my butt cos the nurse was chatting to me and keeping me calm. If you have the sedation you wont remember a thing about it anyway! Good luck hun.

THANK YOU!! thought I was the only one having/had one! I wasnt offered sedation, possibly because its being done in my local Drs (thankfully just up the road), so they probably dont have the facilities to offer it (someone from a local hospital performs it though). The enema means I cant feed Logan for 24 hrs after, which is ok, since I have had to cut the number of feeds I can do anyway. I fart like a trooper anyway so trapped gas wont be a problem :haha:

I had one at my local drs surgery a couple of years ago. They didn't go up as far as the one I had done at hospital last week. The one at the drs didn't hurt at all. Was a little uncomfortable as obviously they stick something up your butt lol but nowhere near as bad as this one.

I had one on Thursday hun for bleeding and mucous too. It is painful but that's the air they puff into your tummy the actual procedure isnt painful in the slightest! I had an enema but they did it the hospital, it was so straight forward and simple, just water squirted in wait as long as poss (5 mins.. i managed 1! lol) then sit on the loo, youre not sitting on the loo long the water brings everything out (not sore or anything!)
They will take biopsies (its standard procedure) which makes you have some blood if you pump or poo afterwards!
Make sure you dont eat anything after the enema if youre doing it at home.
Oh the enema took 5 or 10 mins max!! the actual procedure took around 10-15 mins and then you get yummy tea and toast but my tummy was so full of air i felt a bit sick.
You will feel light headed after it but it passes very quickly! xxx

oh ps its ALOT more dignified than labour they keep you as covered up as possible! oh and you get to watch the camera.... its very exciting...... lol xx

em sorry to take over the thread lol, i got the enema so i could feed Soph you should be able to feed afterwards? xx

haha! take over as much as you want, I appreciate the comments! :flower:
According to the leaflet with the enema I cant BF afterwards, since I am doing it at home it was sent to me, didnt think I could ask for another one to allow me to BF. Ah well, wont be too many feeds I miss out on (2, the rest are formula).
Dont know how it will vary as its being done at me Drs, with a team from hospital coming to perform it. Hope I can see it on camera!!! maybe they could record it for prosperity too... :haha:
argh! think I am more nervous doing the enema that the actual procedure! Had bleeding too, which is why Im having it done. Its not like Im in pain or anything (hate making a fuss!!) but sometimes bowel problems can be heriditary and my mum has issues in that area which can be bad and wouldnt want it getting worse :shrug:

haha! take over as much as you want, I appreciate the comments! :flower:
According to the leaflet with the enema I cant BF afterwards, since I am doing it at home it was sent to me, didnt think I could ask for another one to allow me to BF. Ah well, wont be too many feeds I miss out on (2, the rest are formula).
Dont know how it will vary as its being done at me Drs, with a team from hospital coming to perform it. Hope I can see it on camera!!! maybe they could record it for prosperity too... :haha:
argh! think I am more nervous doing the enema that the actual procedure! Had bleeding too, which is why Im having it done. Its not like Im in pain or anything (hate making a fuss!!) but sometimes bowel problems can be heriditary and my mum has issues in that area which can be bad and wouldnt want it getting worse :shrug:

Yeah my Mum and Gran both had issues so i was worried but i'd managed to convince myself i had bowel cancer and this was my last Christmas (OTT yes i know! lol)
Maybe i shouldnt have BF :shrug: oops? lol im the same i only feed her twice a day!
I was the exact same hun i was SO worried about the enema but it's really so straight forward. Once you get the solution into your tummy, your tummy feels cold and then after about 20-30 secs you get the feeling in your tummy as if you have diahrea but you can hold on. What i will say is sit on the loo and hold it in it stops you feeling anxious but honestly it is absolutley fine! It isnt an uncontrolable urge atall. I wish i had sat on the loo and held it i could have held on for 5 mins if id done that!
This sounds silly but keep your bum muscles really relaxed whilst youre getting the procedure, act as if your trying to poo when the camera is in as that allows the air to flow back out and doesnt give you such a sore tummy, once i sussed this it wasnt so bad!
When youre finished go sit on the loo and let the air out as much as you can but it'll be a good 6 hours before it's all out! lol
Also they use lots of lubrication in there so you might find yourself a bit mucousy afterwards (god i really have no shame since giving birth! lol)

xxx

cheers for the advice, less worried (ish..) now, will be expecting tea and sympathy-cake when its over from the OH:thumbup: (think he will deserve a medal if he has to put up with me farting for 6 hours afterwards :haha:) Its being done on Tuesday, so have plenty more time to panic/worry! haha! Know what you mean about worrying, wasnt really concerned until I started Googling the symptoms, which was a mistake! at least it got me to do something about it!
thanks again! :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->