Anyone had an IUD?

Dinah93

Happy mum to two preemies
Reaction score
I had my son 4 weeks ago and am keen to get contraception sorted as he was a surprise baby and we can't take any more surprises at the moment! I don't suit hormonal contraception as it tends to make my mood very dark and twisty, and I'm breastfeeding/expressing so the last thing I want is to damage my supply. So an IUD looks like a safe and long term method, I've had implanon before and I loved not thinking about it. I'm a bit put off by the idea of dangling strings you have to check to feel though. Can anyone tell me how they've found having an IUD, any side effects, did you have to think about it much, was it reliable?

I had a copper IUD for 4 years and had no major issues with it overall. I had to get the strings cut shorter because having sex felt weird, didn't hurt, just didn't feel like it usually did. The strings never did dangle with me though, but I never did self check, no one ever told me to. The only side effect I know of is that your periods can get heavier, I had this problem but just in the first few months of getting the IUD. If DH and I take a break from having more kids, I will definitely get the copper IUD again.

I have a copper IUD and love it. I used it after my second pregnancy. I took it out so that I could have my third child, then I put it back in after my fourth child. It is easy to put in, and only slightly painful to take out. It didn’t affect my ability to have children after I removed it, which was a concern of mine. I plan to use it until menopause.:thumbup:

I just got the Mirena (5yr IUD) last week. Since the placement, it's been fine. After the intial cramping stopped- I cannot tell it's there. We've DTD since and no difference-- I was a bit nervous, but seems silly now! LOL. I'm sure it was due to how my placement went though. Not good- so I won't share as I'm NOT the norm at all! Far from it. All my friends said it was quick and not bad- only one said it was painful during placement, but fine after.

Personally, I've only had a section- so that affects how it feels getting placed too as my cervix never dialated.

I went with hormone one though cause it helps with periods (usually stops them within the first 6mos)- and with the pill I was on prior I didn't have periods, so I liked that! lol. Plus the hormones are centrally located- so they don't affect you like the BC Pill would.

So far no side affects- but still early on :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->