Anyone had an umbilical cord cyst diagnosed on ultrasound?

ill do it for you hun. she hangs around the june thread on second tri mostly. but she is super busy at work. i will get in touch with her for you xxxxx

no probs, she is very busy tho so give her a day or two to get in touch xxx

Hey there babygirl1982, can't private message you so thought I'd answer here...
Did you have the chance to read over the thread?

Seems that most of the umbilical cord cysts detected on U/S in first trimester resolve by second trimester, and the babies followed up at birth that had these were all fine! However, there is a small subset of the cysts that don't resolve by second trimester, and it is these babies who are at risk of chromosomal problems, mainly trisomy 18 (much worse than Down syndrome, which is trisomy 21). Personally, DH and I didn't want to wait to see if it would resolve, and we opted to have CVS to look at the baby's chromosomes at 12 weeks. Everything was fine, and the cyst resolve by the next ultrasound (and this is what happens to the MAJORITY of them!).

How many weeks will you be when you see the consultant?
The odds are on your side that everything will turn out fine, it is just a small subset of the cysts that are of concern!

Hope this helps a bit!

Thanks for the info..i will be eleven weeks when i go march the 1..i am so nervous..they found the cyst last week on ultrasound..is this common about cysts?

Umbilical cord cysts were thought to be quite rare, but I think that since our ability to detect them has improved, more and more are being found. I know how you feel, we went from 7 weeks 6 days to 12 weeks before having the CVS done, then another week for results... It is definitely nerve wracking, but as I said, the majority are just a false alarm and nothing is wrong with baby!

thanks so much..that makes me feel alittle better..did that test hurt? i just hope its gone when i go back..

The CVS just felt like an uncomfortable pap test to be honest... My uterus is retroverted (so in an unusual position) so the cervix was difficult to access. Most people don't find it's any different from a pap test that just lasts a bit longer. Took all of 8 minutes to do... Is the plan for them to do a repeat ultrasound when you see them in March?

Yea im pretty sure they will..i switched to a high risk dr so march will be my first visit with him..im hoping it will be gone..ive heard that even the cysts that stay the second trimester also can be ok..im sick over this

Yes, the majority of those that persist into second tri are fine, there is a 1/10 risk of chromosomal problems at that point, so 9/10 that everything is fine! Where do you live?

Oh hun, I don't know what else to say... I know it's very stressful, DH wouldn't even let me talk about the pregnancy at all when we were in "waiting to find out" mode, since he didn't want to get attached... I felt very much alone. We didn't tell anyone about the pregnancy until we got the CVS results back at 13 weeks... Just keep reminding yourself that in most cases, everything is fine!

just wanted to let u know the cyst was gone yesterday and everything looked good

I just found out that my baby has a cyst in the umbilical cord. I am 10 weeks pregnant waiting to go back for a follow up in 2 weeks but this " waiting game" is driving me insane. Everything i find on the net says that umbilical cord cyst is related to anormalities.:nope:

Hi everyone. I found this thread through a google search. I see it is old, but not sure if anyone gets updates that anyone posted. They found cysts on my baby's umbilical cord at 8 weeks. I go back in 3 weeks for another test, but until them I am panicking. Does anyone have any stories? How did their results go? I am just very nervous and looking for anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrs.K2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->