Anyone had low iron during pregnancy?

srrhc

3 Boys
Reaction score
This my second baby and my doc just told me my iron is very low. I was suspicious of this as I felt abnormally fatigued even for a pregnant mom of a toddler. I have also been getting headaches (often). With my DS my iron was good and I was headache free.

So I have read that low iron can bring on headaches. I guess my question is once I start taking these new iron supplements do you think my headaches will stop? Thanks for any stories you can share :)

I'm currently being tested for my iron levels too as having a lot of symptoms including headaches. Defo get a start on your tablets n hopefully you won't feel any worse, sounds like they have picked it up quite early. I'm nearly 25 weeks n hoping to get results tomorrow, if there all back clear then I might be one of those unlucky ladies who gets all the symptoms! U had any other symptoms? Loosing more hair? Achey legs? Breathlessness? X

i had low iron at 11 weeks, and started iron tablets which fixed the anemia issue but the bad headaches continued and im 28 weeks.. its just one of those unfortunate symptoms i get when im pregnant.

Thank you both.
Symptoms I have are more than normal pregnancy fatigue (or at least what I would consider more than normal)
Headaches
Occassianal breathlessness but it's not consistent.

I'm hoping they did catch it early and I can do better with my diet by included iron rich foods.

Thank you again for sharing!

Fingers crossed if your headaches are linked with the low iron,Mahdi you start taking the supplements then you should find after a few days that the headaches go as your iron levels improve.

I would recommend taking the tablets with orange juice as they can cause constipation - joys!

I had low iron in all of my pregnancies and was given the supplements x

I don't have low iron but here in Denmark, they recommend all pregnant women to start taking extra iron starting around week 10 (which is what I did). They recommend a total of 40-50 mg per day. Can't help with if your low iron is what's causing the headaches as I haven't experienced it myself though :shrug: I do agree with taking your iron pills with orange juice though as it helps the body absorb the iron better.

Thank you for the orange juice advice! Defiantly wanna avoid constipation if I can!

I don't think orange juice specifically prevents constipation, it's drinking lots of fluids that helps with that! So you could just as well drink water in that case.

The good thing about orange juice is it increases the absorption of iron due to the Vitamin C.

Had my blood results back today from the doctors and a have low iron, got some iron tablets to take. Explains all my symptoms!

I was diagnosed as anemic with my last pregnancy at 24 weeks. I had to take a good bit or iron including the iron in my prenatal and it helped with energy levels a lot. As for headaches I didn't suffer them but if it's linked to low iron I would say after the iron really starts to get in your system, you'll see an improvement.

I had low iron on my week 12 bloodwork. I take light iron supplements I forget what they're called but they start with a G. they aren't even called Iron, but the pharmacist gave them to me as Iron upsets my stomach, these ones are easier on your stomach. Either way I always get headaches, probably due to working in an office on the computer all day. Just drink lots of water, if you wear glasses make sure to wear them all the time. The iron will definitely help with your energy though.

So I've been taking my iron supplements for almost a week and the headaches are defiantly better. Sometimes I wake up and feel a dull pain but it goes away within a few minutes of being up. Energy still feels low but maybe not as bad.
Thanks everyone for sharing your stories and suggestions!

I've had low iron with this pregnancy and my previous one. I just found it 2 weeks ago that my iron levels were so low I'm considered anemic. I was feeling very tired, dizzy a lot and also was getting headaches. I am now in iron pill 2x a day. I'm not as dizzy and the head pain is starting to get less. Still feeling tired but that could be because I'm in the 3rd tri now. Hope your headaches go away! Just remember that iron poll cause constipation, so eat lots of fibre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->