Anyone had pityriasis-rosea during pregnancy?

SisterRose

mummy to 3 monkeys
Reaction score
*sigh* to cut a long story short. I developed a ring like patch of skin on my abdomen last week. Doctor said it was probably ringworm and I've been applying canesten anti fungal cream for almost a week now with no sign of it clearing up or getting any better. This last day or so I've noticed tiny little red spots appearing around the area on my skin, kind of the colour of spider veins. Another round of googling and I've come across pityriasis-rosea and I think it could be that, it's mistaken for ringworm as it starts with the ring like patch of skin which is the initial "herald patch"

Anyway, I've scared myself stupid now reading about it during pregnancy where Ive found sites saying "can have serious affects in pregnancy" with no back up and also an italian study done in 2008 on 38 women pregnant with pityriasis rosea, only 33% of which gave birth to healthy babies. Scared silly here.

Anyone who's had this during pregnancy had given birth to healthy babies? I just feel like a big hypercondriac this pregnancy as it seems to be one thing after another to worry about :( I'm going to be so glad when October is here and I can get my baby out to cuddle.

Although this may be of no help - I didnt want to read and run.

My boyfriend suffers from pitryiasis and got given a shampoo from the doctors to be massaged onto into skin, left for 10 minutes then showered off.

It cleared up within a week, and hasn't come back. He inherited it from his mum who did have it in pregnancy, with all 3 of her children.

They are all perfectly fine however they have all inherited it, its just a minor inconvenience though nothing bad! xx

Hiya
I've not had it in pregnancy but I've had it a couple of times before. Mine started with a patch on my stomach, was like a large patch of eczema and it quickly came up all over my stomach and ribs and chest. It was patches though not spots, about the size of 5/10ps. They were incredibly itchy and flaky. Yours doesn't really sound like that so I'm not sure if it is the same thing.
To be honest I wouldn't worry too much, I got given some cream from the doc and it cleared up pretty quick.
Don't worry yourself too much over what Dr Google has to say, go back and see your GP, you're not sure if you even have it yet so don't worry unnecessarily.

Thanks Bonnie! I hope you're right and it isn't the start of that.

Thought I'd update with a picture of what it looks like.

As you can hopefully see, there are tiny little red spots forming around the ring. Kind of look like milk spots a bit/skin irritation.

Attachments

• 20130726_191923.jpg
    20130726_191923.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 20130726_191927.jpg
    20130726_191927.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 1
It doesn't look unlike ringworm, but hard to tell from pics plus I'm not a doctor. My pityriasis started as a small patch if dry red skin and grew bigger to about the size of 10p but it didn't have a ring round it.
You need to go back to the GP, no one can give you a diagnosis by pics. Carry on with the cream he have you and make another appointment. Could be an allergy or anything at all

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->