Anyone have experience of being consultant led for the birth?

Millies.Mummy

Mum of 1
Reaction score
My pregnancy is low risk and is being midwife led however they're saying after last time my birth is high risk and are putting me under a consultant.
Does anyone have any experience of having to do your birth plan etc under the consultant as I'm really dreading it.
My appointment isn't until May when I'm 27 weeks I just have no idea what to expect!
I wanted a home birth! :(

On a more positive note. 2 weeks today until my 12 week scan! Woooo! :happydance:

My first pregnancy was classed as high risk when I was 5 weeks pregnant I was found to have two wombs so everything was consultant led including the birth.

I found being consultant led a lot better than being a normal low risk pregnancy with just a midwife, i felt more secure having a higher level of care and appointments with my consultant as well as my normal midwife.

It will be fine you'll get the best of care.x

Thank you and congratulations!!!

I have the normal level of care during my pregnancy im just worried a doctor will come in last minute and overall all of our decisions... :shrug:

I'm consultant led this time due to failed induction/section. Not allowed to give birth in midwife led unit...:wacko: not sure when I meet consultant for first time but will be a chat re planned section or let me try natural but won't be induced if nothing happens.

I have been consultant led with all my pregnancies because my son had a 2 vessel umbilical cord and was 'small' and to be honest it's nice having the extra appointments you feel like they are looking after you more xx

I see so if your pregnancy is low risk I guess you'll just have a appointment to discuss a birth plan the consultant feels would be best when you go in to labour, don't feel pressured by them at all and voice what you would like or had wanted they will do there best to help you feel comfortable with the changes to your birth plan.

The only way I could see them over riding decisions you've made with them is if you or baby is in distress or danger. X

I was consultant led with my first, due to me being in a wheelchair and needing anti-coagulant injections. I felt quite happy knowing I was getting a higher level of care and that I was being kept an eye on (was first baby so liked that extra security!) but I wasn't pressured into any one type of birth, the only thing I wasn't allowed to do was have a water birth, but that was because of disability. I ended up with an emergency section, but that obviously wasn't because of the consultant! I'm also consultant led this time and she was quite happy with me to go with a vbac but I have decided a c-section.

They shouldn't pressure you into anything, hopefully!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->