Anyone have their first baby without pain medication???

I had a shot of Demerol but it didn't do squat other than make me feel dizzy and like I was kind of disconnected.

i just want to say...

You ladies are SOOOO inspiring!!!! It's so good to hear positive stories of medicine-free births!!! Thank you so much!!

So I had my mw appointment yesterday and we went over my birth plan briefly. She was all happy and supportive of it all and said it seemed a very sensible plan. Then she said "however I think you should think about having pain relief, especially with this being your first baby I don't think you'll manage without it"!!!

Thanks for the vote of confidence love!

It has just made me feel a little deflated :nope:

Has anyone had their first baby without using pain relief??? Would love to hear from anyone who has.

Sarah :flower:

Hi Sarah,

I had a similar thing with my MW suggesting considering pain relief options (due any day now). She didn't go as far as saying she didn't think I'd manage without, but she suggested considering some of the options available to have as a back up. I suppose they just have to make sure they've discussed it with you so they can tick off their boxes maybe? :shrug:

Try not to feel disheartened - it's entirely your call so try not to take any notice of her unhelpful comments. Sounds like she was pretty thoughtless in the way she approached the subject.

Best of luck :flower:

I'm hoping to give birth to my first at home, with water for pain relief and possibly some gas and air. I'm hoping to manage with positive talk...

I think the most important thing is to be positive, believe in yourself and your body's ability to birth your baby. If you are scared and worried, all those fear hormones are working against nature. I've got a hypnobirthing workbook (even though I'm not in the least bit hypnotis-able) and it makes it really clear how important it is to shield yourself from negativity, not listen to other people's horror stories or well meaning advice. That's not to say be naive, I believe you should research every scenario as much as possible, but don't let thoughts of having to transfer to hospital or being in pain override your positive thoughts, plan for the natural birth you want, and keep the research on everything else shoved far far to the back of your brain as very much a plan z, after plans a-y have been eliminated.

Dear Irish cob,
Just to let you know I am pretty confident that you will get your home birth and it will all go swimmingly! You are so right, positivity, relaxation and belief in yourself and your body are all you need. You go girl!
I'll be watching for your home birth story in a few weeks!

I hypnobirthed in a birthing pool with zero medication it was literally the most amazing thing that has ever happened to me-conditioning is so important, believe in yourself you are made to do this. Your baby your birth. Have an amazing time x

Yes! Me! In the early hours of Friday morning, at home, using only natal hypnotherapy. Not even a paracetamol in sight! It is perfectly possible - I even worked all of Thursday not realising I was in labour... Believe in it, it CAN be done and easily! :)

I'll get round to writing a birth story at some point, but it may be some time before I get round to it...

OK .. what is this TENS and WHY don't we have it here in the U.S. ??? :p

Yes! Me! In the early hours of Friday morning, at home, using only natal hypnotherapy. Not even a paracetamol in sight! It is perfectly possible - I even worked all of Thursday not realising I was in labour... Believe in it, it CAN be done and easily! :)

I'll get round to writing a birth story at some point, but it may be some time before I get round to it...

Was that because of the hypnotherapy that you didn't realize it? Excuse my ignorance, but can't that be dangerous to not know that you're in labor? :shrug:

I had a completely pain relief free birth with my first (and at a hospital too! They push you for an epi!).

OK .. what is this TENS and WHY don't we have it here in the U.S. ??? :p

TENS is Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation, it's basically a small machine (like the size of the old personal cassette players) with pads attached that you stick to your back and they send small electrical currents into the nerves. That stimulates the brain to produce its own endorphins, reducing the pain you're in. You can get them in America, they're just not as well known or common - Amazon.com sells them.

Was that because of the hypnotherapy that you didn't realize it? Excuse my ignorance, but can't that be dangerous to not know that you're in labor? :shrug:
Nope! By the time its important you'll know believe me. The early muscle work is best ignored or you may feel like you've been in labour for days! I started feeling mine on a saturday eve and lo was born on tues afternoon!

I also used no pain relief. It was very much manageable and it was such a feeling of accomplishment when he was born. We aren't offered gas and air...so not sure how that feels.
You can do it. :hugs:

That does make it sound odd! I don't mean it like that. I suppose I did "know" because I could feel the sensations, but it doesn't feel painful at all. I knew full well that I was close to home (it was a planned home birth, and I was a 2 min drive, and plenty of people to drive me there), and that there was no problem to call my midwife at home or at work. When I got to the serious stage of labour, there was no disguising it was certainly labour, but again, I could never say that it hurt.

For those that have asked, I'm still working on the birth story!!!! :)

I had nothing until getting to the labour ward at 9cm then a bit of gas and and air until it was time to push at 10 cm when they took it off me. So the majority of the time was with no pain relief. I had a ventouse too and tore. It wasn't that bad, I was in labour 36 hours in the end and I think I just got used to the pain of the contractions!

I had 2 paracetamol before I got to the hospital and that was it!

I had my LO with no pain relief and he's my first.

It was quite an intense labour, my contractions were 3 minutes apart right from the beginning and went down to 1-2 minutes apart after 2 hours. I was in labour for just under 6 hours.

The thing that really helped me was believing i could do it and keeping calm. I got a bit panicky a few times and as soon as i felt worried it did get worse. However, i just sort of shook my body, as if shaking out the tension and told myself to calm down and it really worked. Also keeping your breathing regular and steady is important too.

Plus afterwards i was so proud of myself for doing it without any pain relief (although not belittling anyone who has meds as every labour and person is different!). Best experience ever and i can't wait to do it again!

It's perfectly possible to achieve a natural birth with no medicated pain relief if you believe you can do it.

It's all about mind over matter and a lot of the time it's the extra stress and fear which makes it more painful.

I wasn't completely without pain relief, as I used a TENS, but I wouldn't have used anything else as there really wasn't any need.

All I will say, is that the TENS seem to work best if you put them on as soon as the pain starts to give your body a chance to get used to it. If you stick them on when the pain is already quite intense, it isn't always as effective (from what I have read). I had mine on from the start and it worked very well x

Deep breathing is the other thing that helps loads. If you keep calm and stay focused, it's amazing how your body just takes over .x

I had mine with no pain relief and I was induced. I just breathed through while my husband stroked my back in time with my breathing. It's totally do able! Of course we can cope with it, you just need to keep calm and focused, a good birthing partner talking you through really helps. Concentrate on relaxing your face and breathing deeply and blowing the pain away.

what lovely feedback! Thanks ladies :) something positive instead of disbelief!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->