Anyone here had an MRI?

_Meep_

Two girls
Reaction score
I've got to have one tomorrow. Starting to feel a bit nervous now (about the process, not just the results) and am wondering what it's like.

Mine's of my neck. Does anyone know whether they'll stick me in the full body machine or whether they'll have a smaller one for specific body parts?

I'm not especially claustrophobic, but can't guarantee I won't freak out. I'm also having the contrast dye injection, which means I can't breastfeed for 24 hours ... so that's going to be fun.

Blah!

I've got to have one tomorrow. Starting to feel a bit nervous now (about the process, not just the results) and am wondering what it's like.

Mine's of my neck. Does anyone know whether they'll stick me in the full body machine or whether they'll have a smaller one for specific body parts?

I'm not especially claustrophobic, but can't guarantee I won't freak out. I'm also having the contrast dye injection, which means I can't breastfeed for 24 hours ... so that's going to be fun.

Blah!

Hiya

I've had 2 MRIs in my life. One for spine and one for wrist. There's only one machine so you go in the whole thing no matter what body part. Some parts take longer than others. My spine was longer than my wrist for example.

The machine is open ended on both sides so it doesn't feel to clostrophobic when you're in there. They give you music to listen to as well. It's quite easy to just have a lil nap. Nothing to be scared of.

Hope that helps :)

I had one but it was over 20 years ago and mine was in a full body tube thing. I will not lie, it was hard going and I am not at all claustrophobic either. What got to me was the noise, 40 minutes of knocking noises. No idea if they still do that way or if this was cause mine was a brain scan but it was not fun. I am sorry I am not reassuring on this, I only got through mine by reminding myself how important it was that I would get through it. Good luck, I hope yours won't be a bad experience.

ETA I was not allowed to nap as it was a scan of the brain.

I haven't but some family members have and they said it wasn't too bad.
I hope that everything is okay :hugs:

Thanks everyone. Already had a camera up/down my nose which wasn't very nice at all so hopefully it won't be worse than that.

Does anyone know how long it takes to get your results?

So for anyone who finds this and has similar questions ...

The worst part by far (for me) was having the cannula in/out. Yuck! Also, having to put on a ridiculous gown and then walk through a waiting room full of people was fairly ghastly because obviously I had to go braless (my bra had metal clasps). I'd advise taking a sports bra or something if you have boobs.

MRI was fine really - loud, but that was about it. I had headphones but they forgot to put on the ABBA they promised. For some, I guess that would probably be more of a nightmare than the noise of the machine, but I quite like ABBA personally.

I can see how it would be horrible for someone who is claustrophobic.

I should get my results within two weeks, but if not I have to ring them up. Also, they said (despite telling me to wait 24 hours on the phone) that they no longer advise people not to breastfeed afterwards, but I am going to wait until this evening at least (had the scan at 9 am and it took about 25 minutes).

Thanks. They did it more as a precautionary measure than anything else. I have what feels like a sharp spike in my neck behind one of my tonsils - no sign of cancer from visual examination but as it is somewhere in the tissue they want to be sure it isn't anything like that.

Myself, I'm pretty sure my styloid process (weird little fang-like bone that protrudes off the back of the skull) has become elongated, but nobody has mentioned that yet, so we will see.

Hopefully everything will be OK. I have severe health anxiety so I completely understand how worried you must be. I've got everything crossed for you <3

Thanks. Bit scary, but I am relatively reassured by the fact the nose camera thingamajig didn't see anything. Anxiety running high over the kids at the moment though! Got an eye test for N in a few days as she's had a growth spurt and I've convinced myself her eyes have gone a weird shape and she can no longer see properly, they've both had chickenpox and a vomiting bug, and S had an ear infection and antibiotics which I hated giving her and am sure haven't worked! Just waiting for the pox to go so I can take her back to the doctor. :(

FX it is all ok and FX too that the girls recover soon! Sick little ones is just awful! :hugs:

It really is - always sends me into a spiral of anxiety but now they seem to be on the mend I feel like I've recovered pretty quickly, which is a huge improvement on how I would have been six months or so ago! Just got to get this eye test and my results out of the way and hopefully life should be good again lol.

Took S to the doctor and found her ears are now clear so that's great. She is still having some pain but I am convinced now it must be her last set of molars being arses.

Got my results yesterday. All it said was that the MRI was 'normal' and that they hope I am reassured ... I mean, yeah, I am so glad they didn't see anything horrible. But it still doesn't tell me what this stupid thing is?!

I'm glad it was normal. But sorry you didn't get any further answers :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"