anyone in the UK with dermoid cysts?

minimorris

Reaction score
Hey ladies. I'm sneaking in from 1st tri to see if anyone further along has experience of dermoid cysts?
I have dermoid cysts on both ovaries. At my first scan last week one measured 6cm by 5.5cm and the other 7.5cm by 6cm. I was told that they would check the size again at my 20 week scan and then refer me to a consultant after that to see what to do next as apparently these can cause problems in pregnancy and labour depending on their size. I had a look online and there are a lot of women who have had surgery in pregnancy, or a csection due to these types of cysts but most of the information and sites i found are American.
Just wondering if anyone here in the uk has experience of these cysts cos as we know the nhs had its own way of doing things. After my 20 week scan I'll actually get to discuss things with the consultant, but in the meantime I'm just looking for similar experiences to see what i could expect him to say. xx

Pfffttttt stop googling u will only ever get worst cases and worry yourself... dermoid cysts are harmless and in pregnancy or not dont usually cause problems... my doctor told me 1% of women with em have them removed because of issies and majority dont even know they have em.

I have a huge one on my ovary and its still growing and I havent had a problem at all.

Pfffttttt stop googling u will only ever get worst cases and worry yourself... dermoid cysts are harmless and in pregnancy or not dont usually cause problems... my doctor told me 1% of women with em have them removed because of issies and majority dont even know they have em.

I have a huge one on my ovary and its still growing and I havent had a problem at all.

That's fab thanks hun. I am aware that the cysts are benign and that many women have then without knowing - mine were diagnosed 3 years ago so i know what they are etc, i am one of the unfortunate ones who suffers pain as a result of them, at the time they were smaller so they opted not to remove them despite the pain as they didn't wanna risk damaging the ovary and because like u say they rarely cause problems so before this scan i want at all bothered about them. But when the midwife at the scan saw that they have both now grown she said i def needed them checking again, she told me there are two risks, first that because they're big on both sides they may take up two much of babys space, and second the contractions and labour could cause them to twist which she said is very dangerous and that's why i have to see the consultant after 20week scan. Its reassuring that ur consultant is not concerned, may i ask how big your cyst is? Xx

Thats good... i assumed u haf only just been diagnosed... there.are so many girls that stress over em so i just assumed u didnt know much sorry.

Ohhhh ill have to check the ultrasound report... I think tbh theywere around tthe 70mm(7cm) size now...

I hope it doesnt cause u grief... at least u got pg :) that wad my worry when they said I had em...

Sorry to hear u have pain...I got diagnosed coz of the pain and it turned out to be a pulled muscle that wouldnt heal lol...

I was told at the start by my mw when I asked that they would only take it out if it was causing me a lot of pain during pregnancy...
I didnt ask about the birthing thing tho but im having a cs for other reasons so maybe she didnt mention it coz of that?

Goodluck :)

H&h 9 months to u :)

Haha its ok, i know a lot of ppl google stiff they know nothing about and then freak out lol. I usually try not to google much but done they've done a u-turn from saying they're no problem, to they could causer big problems i thought id have a nosey what other ppl have gone thru, I'm not panicking tho, as long as they get baby out safely i don't mind how they had to do it, i just don't like having to wait another 10 weeks before i get more info lol. Yes if you're already having a section perhaps that's why they didn't mention it, its great to know you've got so far along with no problems tho, hoping i will be the same. Xxx

My friend had a big one on one ovary, which was discovered when she had an early scan at 6 weeks. She had a lot of discussions throughout her pregnancy, and for a while they were looking at removing it 6 weeks after she had the baby. Then they decided they didn't want her contracting at all, so they set a date for a section and said they'd take the cyst out at the same time.

Her baby is now 3 weeks old and the op was successful, everything is fine. Good luck xx

My friend had a big one on one ovary, which was discovered when she had an early scan at 6 weeks. She had a lot of discussions throughout her pregnancy, and for a while they were looking at removing it 6 weeks after she had the baby. Then they decided they didn't want her contracting at all, so they set a date for a section and said they'd take the cyst out at the same time.

Her baby is now 3 weeks old and the op was successful, everything is fine. Good luck xx

Aww thanks hunni, I'm sure it'll work out fine whatever they decide to do, just hate waiting so long to find out lol. Thanks so much for sharing xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->