Anyone moved to another country things you miss from 'home'?

LuckyYem

mum to 2 beautiful girls
Reaction score
Just being nosey really lol. I have just sent my dad afood parcel of all the things he misses since he moved to Canada nearly 6yrs ago. His list is as follows lol

His favorite Tea bags - his word 'can't get a decent cuppa'
Spam - yuck but he loves it!
English chocolate - apparently Canadian chocolate 'is crap'
HP sauce - apparently only English HP tastes right
Tesco spaghetti hoops - his favorite
Tesco baked beans - his favorite

He would love a pint of English bitter but I'm not allowed to send alcohol. I don't send a package very often it costs a small fortune and always send it as a surprise but he gets ever so excited when it arrives lol.

I miss home every single day.

I miss custard creams, wotsits, skips, proper hovis bread (not the stale crap you get here), proper English tea, fish and chips, monster munch.....man I miss so much more though.

I don't ever get food parcels sadly, my mum sent me one a few years back and it cost £20 just to send it. It didn't even have much in it. I do go home about twice a year though so my car does get packed out xD

A bratwurst can't replace a good 'ol Cumberland.

That is sweet.

I'm from Finland originally and I so miss having my own sauna, over there most people have their own. I also miss proper rye bread and salty liquorice, Fazer chocolate and these awesome raspberry ice lollies, no other raspberry ice lolly tastes nearly as perfect. When I was pregnant those ice lollies were the one thing I really craved, would have loved getting them delivered daily :D

He really misses fish and chips from the chippy! They had an English style chip shop open by themand the last time we went over we all went there and it wasn't anything like home - to say he was bitterly dissapointed is an undertatement lol.

Its quite funny his wife is canadian and she prefers english chocolate too so their package is stuffed full of it. She also prefers english sausages. I send them coleman's sausage cassarole mix because you can't get it there. When she lived here she used to get food parcels sent over from her mum lol.

It cost me far to much to send (I can't even bring myself to put how much!) And I only really send them when I know he's really homesick.

They haven't been over since my wedding nearly 3 years ago but when they went back they had a whole case full of food - dread to think what customs thought lol.

Im curious what tea it is now lol....also cadbury chocolate is sold in Canada.
I am originally from Canada and there are a lot of sweets I miss.

Lol he likes Yorkshire tea 'builders' tea he calls it. I have had Cadburys chocolate whilst visiting and it doesn't taste the same, his wife has also said the same :shrug: maybe its all in our head lol. His wife LOVEs Green and Blacks but she has never found it there.

They sometimes go to the English shop but its so expensive but sometimes he will 'treat' himself to a tin of rice puddling :haha:

What part of Canada are you from? They are in Calgary.

I really miss the chip shop too! Also rhubarb, I love it but you can't get it here. I had my mum bring us a tin over once but it wasn't the same as fresh and I do love a rhubarb crumble with custard!

You do find some Familiar imports but like Canada they're so expensive here!

When I was pregnant with my daughter I really craved birthday cake like the ones you get from the supermarket in England not homemade. You can't get that kind of cake here, they do lovely cakes don't get me wrong but it's just different.

Lol he likes Yorkshire tea 'builders' tea he calls it. I have had Cadburys chocolate whilst visiting and it doesn't taste the same, his wife has also said the same :shrug: maybe its all in our head lol. His wife LOVEs Green and Blacks but she has never found it there.

They sometimes go to the English shop but its so expensive but sometimes he will 'treat' himself to a tin of rice puddling :haha:

Im originally from Montreal :) ive been in the UK for 7 years now and my OH has no desire to move to Canada, he's an east end boy and wont live anywhere else!
I think the choc is slightly different but believe me its much better than American chocolate!

Im originally from Montreal :) ive been in the UK for 7 years now and my OH has no desire to move to Canada, he's an east end boy and wont live anywhere else!
I think the choc is slightly different but believe me its much better than American chocolate!

My dads wife lived here for 7yrs and the plan was to always go at some point then my dad was diagnosed with Parkinsons and they made the move sooner rather than later.

I've had american chocolate and agreed disgusting!!

If your oh would move would you go back?

I really miss the chip shop too! Also rhubarb, I love it but you can't get it here. I had my mum bring us a tin over once but it wasn't the same as fresh and I do love a rhubarb crumble with custard!

You do find some Familiar imports but like Canada they're so expensive here!

When I was pregnant with my daughter I really craved birthday cake like the ones you get from the supermarket in England not homemade. You can't get that kind of cake here, they do lovely cakes don't get me wrong but it's just different.

What is it with brits and the chippy lol. I really, really want rhubarb crumble now lol.

My dads wife lived here for 7yrs and the plan was to always go at some point then my dad was diagnosed with Parkinsons and they made the move sooner rather than later.

Definitely! I dont know why my oh wants to stay here....he has 2 aunts here and thats it! Mum died when he was a child and an absent dad. His grandparents raised him but they have both passed now too. Vs my family in Canada which are my parents, 3 siblings, cousins, , grandparents etc. We could have a lovely family there for us! Im hoping he can be convinced one day.

Definitely! I dont know why my oh wants to stay here....he has 2 aunts here and thats it! Mum died when he was a child and an absent dad. His grandparents raised him but they have both passed now too. Vs my family in Canada which are my parents, 3 siblings, cousins, , grandparents etc. We could have a lovely family there for us! Im hoping he can be convinced one day.

You never know, he might surprise you one day! My dad has got more homsick as the years have gone on. Eventhough we skype lots he hates being away from his grandchildren. We try and go over once a year (its hard for him to come home because of his parkinsons) but as the girls' get bigger it gets harder.

I can't wait for him to get his package now, he has no clue its on its way :)

I miss Skips and Walkers Prawn Cocktail crisps, and blackjacks, and proper sausages, and parma violets and so many cheeses. So many things I miss!
My mum sends me a food parcel on my birthday and Christmas but its getting so expensive to send them now. Every time I go back to the UK I take over things my family misses from Finland (Finnish mustard, grapefruit fizzy pop and tykisk peber sweets) and bring back with me the things I miss :D

That is sweet.

I'm from Finland originally and I so miss having my own sauna, over there most people have their own. I also miss proper rye bread and salty liquorice, Fazer chocolate and these awesome raspberry ice lollies, no other raspberry ice lolly tastes nearly as perfect. When I was pregnant those ice lollies were the one thing I really craved, would have loved getting them delivered daily :D

What raspberry ice lollies are those? I must try them if they're so good!

My Husband is South African. He misses Pies, and Biltong, Boerewors(although last year they did one themselves his buddy and him) samoosas and other similar food haha. He always gets Bovril from whoever comes to visit us and had access to it. Also the English type sausages.

We traveled with work when I was a kid and chippy chips can never be replicated!

I always missed Robinson's squash. It was always so expensive it wasn't even worth a trip to the British shops. Proper meat. In China the met was always horrendous.

When I send packages to my dad in Shanghai I always include stuffing and Bisto for his roast.
Proper Snickers bars.
Sainsburys cooking chocolate.

That is sweet.

Grandi! Paras mehujää ikinä :icecream:

That is sweet.

Grandi! Paras mehujää ikinä :icecream:

Cheers, shall try one next time I go to the shop!

My sister lives in Pennsylvania now and we send her food parcels now and then. She always wants Walkers pickled onion crisps, Bisto granules and Oxo cubes, Galaxy chocolate, Tunnocks biscuits, twiglets, Marmite or Vegemite, Hob nobs, HP sauce and potato scones. It costs a fortune to send now though (£82 last time :shock: ) so they're getting parcels a tad less these days! She's coming home in October for our sister's wedding and will no doubt be taking half of Saintsburys back with her :)

Agree about american chocolate - its really horrible! I tried every single kind when I was over there and never found one that was remotely edible :lol:

I'm originally from the U.S. and the only thing I can think of that I really miss is fairly lame..Kraft in the box (powder) Mac and Cheese. No idea why but one of those things. I can get it here sometime as our tesco has a small American food section but it is crazy expensive. Oh and I miss twizzlers, even though I hardly ever had them when I lived there. :dohh:

I also agree - English chocolate rocks. I love M&Ms and Reese but most other American chocolate is :sick: in comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->