Anyone not trying and not preventing in equal measures?

OmiOmen

Mum of two
Reaction score
I know that the term NTNP means something different to a lot of us but is anyone (else) not trying and not preventing in equal measures?

I consider tracking ovulation and/or DTD more often than normal to be TTC and wanting/expecting a BFP soon. To me, NTNP is the part between TTC and WTT where you are not trying to get pregnant but not using contraception/reliable protection so know you could get a BFP and would be happy with it too. I guess I can see how using the pull out method is a stop gap between WTT and TTC too, because you are clearly not TTC but at the same time you are not using a reliable prevention method so at the very least not fully preventing.

I am not tracking ovulation, I have only just had my first real period whilst BF'ing and have always being irregular but I have no intention of starting to track either. We are not DTD any more than normal and we are busy so it is often 1-2 times a week (although the past month was less, due to a lot more things going on). But we are not using contraception either.

Is anyone else in the same boat and not trying as much as they are not preventing? I am starting to feel a bit like I am back in the limbo between WTT and NTNP again. :shrug:

Didn't want to read and run but I think most in NTNP think I'm more TTC because I do chart my temps even though I don't use it to track ovulation or tell me when to DTD more. That's why I think I'm more NTNP than TTC though I do post in those forums every so often as well. I temp/chart because I just don't like not knowing what's going on with my body and hope to learn more about it since I haven't had periods in almost ten years. :)

It seems like some people fit between TTC and NTNP or between WTT and NTNP. I still find it an odd term to get used to but clearly it can be used in different ways.

I have just given up on knowing what my body is doing, before I was pregnant my period were anything between 3 weeks and 3 months. :dohh: I think tracking ovulation and things like that are all a bit too complicated for me.

yea, last month my chart was easy to read...this month is a completely different story which is why I've stopped charting for the rest of the month. I had a horrible bug at the beginning of the cycle and had a fever for about five days straight which completely screwed up my BBT chart. :(

oh well, I'd rather NOT get a bfp right now anyway - not until after the wedding at this point. I don't want morning sickness at our wedding or during our honeymoon, I'd be due ON my birthday, and my family already has about 10-15 birthdays to celebrate in January, February, and March so a bfp in June or July would be perfect. :)

Oh and I'm currently training for a 100 mile bicycle ride to be completed July 10th so I have no idea how I'd feel about doing that if I were pregnant!

Oh and I'm currently training for a 100 mile bicycle ride to be completed July 10th so I have no idea how I'd feel about doing that if I were pregnant!

:shock: I have no idea how I would feel about that while not pregnant! Lol.

We're just 'not preventing' lol. I still class myself as actively TTC now as since Jan we've been sort of on the fence about it all - I didn't want a baby before christmas but if it had happened it would have been a lovely thing to happen. We weren't putting any 'prevention' methods in place though as I had come off the pill in December so it really was that mid-way point between TTC and WTT that you described.

Now that we're clear of the Christmas baby zone (lol that sounds awful! :blush:) we're actively trying but we wont be usng charts or thermometers or OV kits, or BD schedules (heaven forbid tbh lol) or anything like that. I'm a nightmare enough with the end of each month and the uncertainty it brings without adding a whole lot more things into the balance. We're both really excited about it all and add into that that my sex drive finally made a re-appearance last month after a long while MIA, we're good to go! lol. I would therfore class myself now as TTC NP - simply Not preventing and seeing how it goes :thumbup:

I like the term TTC NP, that makes a lot of sense. :thumbup:

I have no idea whether we're TTC or NTNP now!

We want to get pregnant, and soon-ish, and although I have no idea about tracking ovulation, fertile days etc, we're DTD more often than before. That was how I thought you made a baby :rofl:

We want to get pregnant, and soon-ish, and although I have no idea about tracking ovulation, fertile days etc, we're DTD more often than before. That was how I thought you made a baby :rofl:

Me too - how could we be so wrong eh? :haha:

:shock: I have no idea how I would feel about that while not pregnant! Lol.

lol, yea tell me about it. But it's a fundraiser my family and I do every year for the Lance Armstrong Foundation after losing my grandfather to esophageal cancer in 2007.

Just finished a 50 mile bike ride in about 4 hours :thumbup: - gotta work on increasing my speed for sure! The 100 mile Livestrong Challenge has to be completed in under 8 hours and has a lot more hills than I did today!

We are pretty much doing the NTNP for the next few months as a break from TTC since it was stressing me out too much and after 3 months of being unsucessful. For us, we are not dtd any more than normal. We are just dtd when we want to but he isn't pulling out either. However, I'm not lying there for 30 mins afterwards with my hips up with a pillow underneath me :haha:

I am new here so hiya!!! Hubby and I had a loss last year at 12 weeks 2 days. My periods have recently changed from a predictable 28 days to 35 days and possibly no ovulating. This month we haven't been preventing and I loosely tracked until my cycle went haywire. To me ttc means you are charting and DTD on your most fertile days etc. We are just DTD when the mood is right lol. We have older children so time also interferes with a true TTC. I am a full time mom to two steps and I have one son from a previous relationship.

Same here! I have had my eyes opened since joining BabyandBump with all the things people do- I honestly had no idea!

Didn't want to read and run but I think most in NTNP think I'm more TTC because I do chart my temps even though I don't use it to track ovulation or tell me when to DTD more. That's why I think I'm more NTNP than TTC though I do post in those forums every so often as well. I temp/chart because I just don't like not knowing what's going on with my body and hope to learn more about it since I haven't had periods in almost ten years. :)

I am the same situation as gardenofedens in that I am temperature charting but not using it to time BD. My cycle is messed up due to breastfeeding and I just hate being in limbo of not knowing whether I have ovulated or whether I should expect AF. I tend to get loads of imaginary pregnancy symptoms whereas when I am temperature charting I am actually a lot more relaxed about it all. However I am not religious about taking my temperature at the same time and would certainly never set an alarm to take temperature. I would class myself at NTNP because we are not DTD unless we feel like it, which is not very often due to tiredness and looking after a toddler. To me, that is 'not trying' because if I was really TTC I would definitely need to DTD a lot more often!

Hi everyone, Im new on here and only joined the WTT forum around 2 weeks ago. I stopped taking the pill over 2 weeks ago ready to TTC in September, (it took a while for my cycles to return to normal after the pill with our second son so wanted to prepare early this time).

I posted on here a couple of days ago as I still have had no AF since stopping the pill but still getting BFN when I test. Even though we did not officially want to TTC until September, I can't believe how disappointed we were when the test was BFN. We have now decided that I will let my body sort itself out and will NTNP and see what happens.

When we were trying for DS #2, I was absolutely obsessed with TTC. Obsessively charting, taking every vitamin and potion under the sun including drinking cough medicine, no caffeine, no alcohol, completely changed my diet etc. and it still took a very long and stressful 11 months! This time I wont do any of those things, wont even BD more often than we do now. I know we have plenty of time and dont want to go down the same road as last time xx

I am so surprised at the lengths people go to to get pregnant too, I was naive and though of it as just DTD more too. If in a year and a half or so we have no BFP we will be TTC as always and DTD every 1-2 days, I have had being pregnant three times (2 MMC's and then with DS) and each time we got pregnant in the first month despite having irregular periods so I can not help but think that works fine with us. If I was struggling to get pregnant next time then I would make sure it was DTD once a day and see how it goes. :shrug:

Well, OH and I only dtd maybe once or twice a week :blush: which is my fault! If I was more into ttc I'm sure I could summon the enthusiasm more often!

For me the novelty of having an actual reproductive cycle for the first time since age 15 is exciting and I love tracking it to find out what's going on in there each day! I hope I don't ever have to go to the lengths of drinking cough syrup or using softcups etc - nothing wrong with it but I think it's a bit soon for me to start worrying about that sort of thing! I did start charting but suffer from insomnia so it's not been working out.

I would be delighted by a BFP and so would OH, but he would be stressing about being the provider etc :) Bless him!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->