Anyone planning or had a waterbirth?

I have chosen to have a water birth if my pregnancy allows for a few reasons:

1) I am completely comfortable in water. I have at least 2 baths a day since I got to 3rd Tri, i'm always in there for a few hours and it helps me relax significantly.

2) It allows for an active birth with minimal interruptions. Baby is monitored using a hand held doppler rather than the band they strap around you which I know I would find very annoying. I also read that intervention is less likely than if you were already on a bed.

3) It offers an element of privacy. Rather than being legs a kimbo on a bed you are surrounded by the walls of the bath/pool and can absorb yourself in your own little world you create for yourself.

4) Research has shown that babies born into water tend to be calmer than babies born into air as they have been surrounded by amniotic fluid so the water helps the transition.

5) Pain relief. I cant have an epidural and I dont like the idea of pethidine as it can make baby drowsy. Water along with gas and air are my first choices.

6) Water can help speed up labour if you get in at the right time - though too early you can actually slow it down!

7) The risk of needing an episiotomy is significatly reduced.

Of course these are just my own personal reasons but I thought i'd share for anyone considering the pros/cons of water birthing.

One thing I did read though is that mums need to really consider what they mean by water birth. Do they actually intend to give birth in the water or just labour in there until phase 2. It said women really need to consider how comfortable they are in water - can they stay in water for long periods of time? Are they happy that the pain relief on offer is dramatically reduced while they are in the pool? If not then maybe a water birth isnt for you. I wouldnt be put off by the fact that very few women at your antenatal classes are having one - see it as a bonus that the pool will definately be available! :thumbup:

Fingers crossed I will be able to have my water birth, im so geared up for it now I dont know how I would manage if I had to have any other kind of delivery lol! :haha:

If everything works out im planning a water birth too. For me water is just a great relaxant.. also the videos appear to be more calmer and relaxed for everyone! .. Less tearing and need for pain relief is a bonus too!!

Fingers xd

Hi girls
This is my 1st post in 3rd trimester.. helloooooooo xx

I am planning on if possible to have a water birth but i know its just how things go on the day if its possible or not.

I really dont want an epidural so am hoping we can have a water birth which MAY help with the pain
x

I am looking forward to having the most natural birth possible, i thought that having a water birth would help this. Fingers crossed everything goes to plan and it happens for me! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->