Anyone planning to raise bilingual children?

Amygdala

Reaction score
Hi girls!

I was wondering whether anyone is planning to raise their kids bilingually (or has older kids that speak two languages already)? What are your reasons? Or maybe you had the chance (eg partner speaking a different language) but decided against it? Our kids will grow up with two languages (I think) and I'm a tad nervous about it. If anyone's got a suggestion for a good book on bilingualism that'd be most welcome as well.
Thanks!

We're planning on raising our children to be bilingual in English and Welsh. It's an opportunity that neither myself nor my fiance had and we want our children to have that. It will be awkward as only I speak some Welsh and I'm not particularly confident with it. I don't want Gareth to feel left out but it is a joint decision and he's said that our children can help him learn so it will be OK. As a result we hope to send our children to Welsh-medium schools so our decision will also mean that I will have to take the driving seat at school parent's evenings and such. It is important to us to naturalise the Welsh language in our children though and we know that there are agencies out there that will help us (Twf, for example, send out CDs of Welsh language nursery rhymes, which would be useful as they're something that you'd only actually know if you've had Welsh from the cradle.)

Beca :wave:

We are raising our son bilingual....My husband is Welsh, but can't speak it all lol, so he speaks English with LO and I'm German so I try to speak as much German as I can with him.
I want him to have the opportunity to choose later on where he's gonna live and work. And the other big factor is that my family is German, my uncle, my mum and cousins speak english bt my grandparents not so it would be a shame if LO wouldn't be able to communicate with them.
I sing songs, read stories, say rhymes etc in both languages. I studied childcare in Wales so I'm familiar with most of the rhymes etc.

I am German , and Oh is South African, so I surely go for bilingual education :D

We're both English, but I'd like to raise our children to eventually be bilingual. My nan started teaching me french before I started school, not a huge amount, but enough to give me a good base when I started learning it at school. Unfortunately, when I got older I didn't have the sense to carry on, and feel that having no formal foreign language qualifications now has set me back on the job hunt front, because so many law firms are international. So I think with my own children I will take the same approach as my nan took with me, but take it further, and offer more support later on. I really think that children with English speaking parents can miss out on the importance of being able to communicate in another language. May need to brush up on my skills first though!

We are! He will speak French and English (the two national languages in Canada).
We will be sending Bun to an all-french school and the english he will learn from us and from society in general.

xx

Well I *love* languages and have studied several. My passion came at a young age when I realised my grandparents spoke something different to us - Welsh. Sadly they never taught me so I only speak a little but can also speak some German, French and Japanese.

Anyway, I would love my children to have a taster of some other languages from a young age as I know that is best time to start learning them. I guess we will introduce other languages via tv shows perhaps like Dora the Explorer? But I can't expect them to be truly bilingual from early childhood as neither DH or I speak another language fluently.

Also I will be using sign language with my child from birth as I used to teach Baby Sign classes and I work with deaf people. I know that sign language can really help babies connect with their parents and lessen frustration in early years so we'll be using that too :)

Good luck everyone!
Dinah

We will, We are both welsh but OH cant really speak it. I can fluently so our baby will be brought up billingually.

Wow, quite a few people here. So am I understanding you correctly that most of you will just "use both"? I've been reading up a little bit on bilingualism and I'm a bit worried that I'll find it hard to stick to my mother tongue all the time, when I'm used to speaking English to my DH and friends. But from what I've read, consistency seems to be important. Does anyone have any experiences/advice about that?

Absolutely! My DH is Afrikaans and that is his first lang (even though he doesn't really get the chance to speak it over here in the the UK). I can understand a fair bit of spoken/written afrikaans but I am now seriously rusty and need to get better again! We'd love our kids to be able to speak Afrikaans, after all all of their fathers side of the family are Afrikaans. We will also raise them with influences from the whole Afrikaans culture, alongside my English background.
As far as books on the subject go, I've not come across any but would be interested in finding some!

Absolutely! My DH is Afrikaans and that is his first lang (even though he doesn't really get the chance to speak it over here in the the UK). I can understand a fair bit of spoken/written afrikaans but I am now seriously rusty and need to get better again! We'd love our kids to be able to speak Afrikaans, after all all of their fathers side of the family are Afrikaans. We will also raise them with influences from the whole Afrikaans culture, alongside my English background.
As far as books on the subject go, I've not come across any but would be interested in finding some!

yes depending on where me and my OH live then we will if we stay where i live our kids will be english and welsh and also irish and if we live in ireland will be jsut english and irish but we are concidering a move to germany when he gets out the army so if thats the case will be english and german.
as iam welsh and my mans english i want them if we live in wales or ireland to know the language we were taught as kids even thought i cant remeber most but it was brill when i was small to come home and teach my mum the little bit of welsh i ahd lernt that day as my mum couldnt speak welsh so i want that for my children if i can.

If you google TWF, They have lots of info on raising children bilingually, I do a lot of work with them where i live.

They are focused on welsh/english but it gives you an idea.

Here is the link :- https://www.twfcymru.com/en-gb/Adviceforparentsandthefamily/Pages/default2.aspx

There's a BnB group for kids with two languages, you'll find more people there :)

My daughter is growing up with English and Italian at home. I speak with her in English and DH in Italian. She hears English a lot from friends, and Italian from family. She hears DH and I speak mostly in English, though when he's talking to her he'll talk to me in Italian too, and she hears us both speak French. She'll be in a French school, although we're in a bilingual area and they will learn in French and German. It sounds a lot but there are a lot of other kids here in the same boat and I know she'll master all four as long as she continually hears them, I think it's an amazing opportunity for her. DH speaks 5 languages because he grew up with them, so jealous!

I have read quite a lot as well and I don't see problems in my term, seeing as we'll mostly talk english, and every other in germany talk German

This maybe a little off from what you mean but my family speaks both Enlish and sign language. When my first son was born he lost his hearing at about a year and after surgery regained it at 3 1/2. When my second son was born he has a speech issue that did not allow him to speak until he was almost 4 years old. I taught him to sign at 2 and he caught on fast. I have to say i LOVE it. I love that i can speak to my children and they feel special because not everyone can understand.

That's me! OH and I speak English around the house but he was born in present-day Ukraine so his family speaks Russian (I'm getting there....) We want our kids to be able to speak both.

yeah we are raising Sapphira with 2 languages as my dh is Indian, she will learn English & Tamil xx

I think signlanguage for small children is amazing. I got taught the basics in college for my diploma and used it when I work in a placement with special needs children.
I will defo try LO with it and see how he gets on with it.

I think the problem is, we live in the UK therefore he will go to school here and needs to speak English well, therefore if I speak German the whole time he won't pick English up. Hubby sees him 30 mins a day and at the weekend, that can't be a good basis for learning English properly. If that makes sense. Therefore I speak both languages during the day, I might speak German with him at breakfast and lunch and the rest of the time English or the other way around.

I think signlanguage for small children is amazing. I got taught the basics in college for my diploma and used it when I work in a placement with special needs children.
I will defo try LO with it and see how he gets on with it.

I think the problem is, we live in the UK therefore he will go to school here and needs to speak English well, therefore if I speak German the whole time he won't pick English up. Hubby sees him 30 mins a day and at the weekend, that can't be a good basis for learning English properly. If that makes sense. Therefore I speak both languages during the day, I might speak German with him at breakfast and lunch and the rest of the time English or the other way around.

I've been using a little sign language with Sofia. No idea whether she understands or not, she's not repeated one back to me yet but then I probably haven't been that good about using it. The oxbridge baby learn to talk DVD uses baby sign language and Sofia loves it.

Ok, I hope you don't mind me coming back and pushing my opinion on the whole languages bit again :flower: I would strongly recommend that you stick with German. It is recommended by language therapists to stick to speaking to your child in one language, apart from that though let me just share some experiences:

My DH's mother is Mexican, and she spoke Spanish with him until he went to school, his first language was Spanish (although he would hear Italian from his father and family, his parents spoke together in Spanish). His paternal grandmother couldn't see the point in him learning Spanish, and basically forced his mum to stop. So they started speaking Italian all the time when he went to school. Within a year he didn't speak a word of Spanish and it wasn't until he was a teen and spent summers in Mexico with his other grandmother that he learnt it again. Now he is pretty much fluent in Spanish but he's not truly bilingual like he should be, Italian is his mother tongue.

My best friends parents were both Finnish immigrants living in Canada. A lot of the family had moved over and she pretty much didn't hear any English until she went to school, she certainly didn't speak any. English is now her mother tongue, once she realised it was what her friends at school were speaking she stopped speaking Finnish at home and her sister and her started speaking English together. Her parents obliged and spoke English with them. She can speak some Finnish, but she's had to work really hard as an adult to relearn it (once she realised it was a shame she'd not kept it up).

I was an aupair to a French/German family, they always spoke French together. The mother had spoken German with the kids when they were babies but didn't really keep it up and spoke mostly French, she would generally only speak German when she was telling them off! Not surprising they didn't want to learn it.

There are a lot of expat families in the area I live in. In France 99% of the expat parents don't speak any French, yet their children go to kindergarten and pick it up within a few weeks and are soon helping their parents out in the stores! I suppose Sofia is lucky both her parents speak French so that we can help with homework etc, but I'm not speaking it with her at home because she will spend so much of her school years (and beyond if we stay here) speaking French.

Ok, obviously your baby, do it your way! But I just wanted to share, and I think if you truly want him to be able to speak German properly you should stick with it and have faith that he is going to be hearing a lot of English and will not have any issues, he's much much more likely to end up not speaking German.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->