Anyone scared of an allergic reaction!?

Nicoleoleole

2 kids + 1!
Reaction score
I am really nervous... like pretty much paranoid when I try LO on foods. Mainly because he cousin apparently is allergic to nuts and they made it out that he could die from it. They have no idea where it came from, so they don't know if it runs in the family.
She already has the eczema that he has as well, but everything she eats, I'm watching her carefully for hours after eating to make sure she's okay.
She just ate a strawberry, then was breathing out of her mouth for a few minutes until I nursed her. Now she's okay. But I'm still watching her because it's freaking scary! lol
Anyone else like me?

Nope. I give ds2 anything that I'm eating, but usually plain (like if I make potatos with stuff on them I'll give ds2 some before I put the stuff on it). He's pretty much had everything, even the things you're not suppose to give before 1 year. We don't have food allergies in our families, so I'm not worried. Plus he usually only takes a bite before he's done.

I don't tend to worry about allergic reactions, but I was a bit concerned the other week when I gave my lo eggs for the first time, they were scrambled, she ate a little and then shortly after she kept shaking her head, rubbing her cheeks and neck. I thought she was possibly having a reaction, but then I realised her plastic bib was all damp around her neck and I wondered if that was irritating her x

We have no history of allergies but I can understand your concern. We BLW so he gets pretty much anything and everything, but I was still cautious when introducing common allergens for the first time. I gave them to him early in the day on a week day while my husband was working from home so that IF something went wrong, I wasn't alone and had someone there to help me, and being during work hours I wouldn't have after hours issues with emergency care or getting a hold of his pediatrician's office.

I did daycare before having megan and have dealt with children with food allergies & intollerances. (peanuts, eggs, wheat, dairy, strawberries, pineapple) Having gone through things with those kids made me very hesitant to offer Megan those types of foods. One thing I had found out too is that you can offer a child a food and not see a reaction - and then later down the road they react to it. The child that had a peanut allergy swelled up and couldnt breath & was rushed to e.r. when she was not quite 2 (she had eaten a peanut butter cookie right before leaving daycare) so the parents had an epi pen for her. One day at my home she had a reaction - and we found out she was also allergic to eggs - but she had eaten eggs many times & in foods - it just had never been enough to cause the reaction. I had to give her the epi pen as she was having trouble breathing & was swelling up & she was rushed to the dr. It was very scary and something I wont ever forget.

Other kids were intollerant of dairy and were constantly throwing up - so it wasnt the same as the peanut allergy - it happened over time & took a long time for us to know what was the cause. Strawberries caused one girl to have hives - but it was just itchy for her - she didnt have breathing issues w/ it.

Its always important to watch your kids - even an hour after eating these foods that cause allergic reactions.

That being said - I do think its important to bite the bullet & still give your kids these foods. I've always made sure I give Megan new foods earlier in the day and not right before a nap so I can see that she is ok.

I do worry as I grew up with a lot of intolerances (dairy, soy, wheat, sugars), and it was such a huge pain in the ass to find things to eat. But so far seems fine. I watch carefully when I introduce something new and a few things aren't on the menu yet as there were problems with her getting them via breastmilk. But so far dairy, egg and wheat are ok (whew!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->