Anyone skipping work due to MS??

Ragnhild

Reaction score
Hi ladies... i'm currently week 10 and MS has hit me pretty bad the last 2.5 weeks and i really don't know when it will get better. I've skipped work and am worried staying away longer will raise questions. My supervisor knows but the hod is a bit nosy and is always asking after people and i really don't want to have to deal with her in this condition. MS isn't really considered sickness here so i'm also going to end up losing money if i'm away for too long, but the only medicine that has worked pretty much knocks me out so i can't work after having that lol! Does anyone have any advice or dealing with a work-early pg dilemma??

I had quite a lot of time off work with morning sickness but it was counted as sick leave thankfully. My manager and the head of my department knew and they were very sympathetic. Would you feel comfortable telling your HOD as well? I initially only told my manager but he asked if I'd mind my HOD being told so they could start to make arrangements for my maternity. I had absoloutly no problem with that personally.

It's a tough one to be honest and totally depends on your work place. I was able to work from home as often as I wanted and I was never once made to feel bad about my absence. So I muddled through having days off, sometimes coping working at home and sometimes doing my best to get into the office for a bit! It was rough. There is always the option of a sick note for a couple weeks maybe? Or even taking the meds and just powering through the best you can? If your manager knows why then hopefully they'd give you some leeway on how much work you manage to get done!

I had to take 2 weeks off as I just couldn't get out of the bed. I didn't tell anyone in work and gp was kind enough to put down kidney infection on my sick cert.

I definitely lost money for a few weeks during first tri with my first. It totally sucks! I agree with asking Doc for a note if you can

Is there any way you can work from home? I don't know what sort of work you do, but with my first I was self employed (so in theory no one really cared what I was doing though I did have deadlines with clients), but this time I work from home two days a week anyway (then in the office the other three but they're long days with a very early commute by train, which isn't the easiest). But having those couple days a week at home is enough to get me through the other days. Even though I'm still working, it's not as stressful or busy. Otherwise I'd take the time you need to feel better, call it a flu or whatever. You'll probably start feeling better very soon.

Thanks so much ladies... I was also counting on feeling better soon but sadly hasnt happened. The doc already gave me 2 weeks off but in her opinion extending the leave means i actually should get worse not just not better (whatever that means!) for which i will need to be admitted and i really dont want that!! Just resting has been good but im worried already about going back and the stress certainly isn't helping.. Will try to find a combination of working from home/powering through with the meds to try and see what works. The first tri is really rough whew but glad to have you all to share with.

I took yesterday off. I really want to leave today as well. Hang in there :)

I sympathise. It' so hard. I've been struggling so much with the MS and fatigue, working 13 hour shifts. The temptation to go off sick is strong!

I didn't this pregnancy because I'm currently a SAHM but with my last two pregnancies I had to. With my third pregnancy I had to use up my maternity leave in the beginning of pregnancy rather than the end because I was too sick to function so I completely sympathize.

If you really cannot function at work with meds, talk to your gyn. Have her write you a note excusing you from work and make sure she takes the gyn part off the letter. It won't get you paid leave but it'll get you out of work for a bit. I can't help though because I'm a teacher so being caught throwing up is instant send you home, so when my ms was bad in previous pregnancies I had to come clean with my boss/teammates.

Sorry I just saw she won't extend your leave unless you get worse and in that case she would admit you to a hospital. Honestly, you're ten weeks and while you may not want to tell boss lady you might have to. There's a lot of protections for pregnant women at work, but your best bet is doing it after you have done something great not after two weeks of no showing. I'm assuming you tried all the other remedies since you were on meds? Hopefully second tri is easier on your tummy

I've missed a few days for MS already, and I'm 7w6d. I haven't told anyone at work yet, so I'm a little nervous that they'll start asking questions. We just recently switched over to an online reporting system for absenses, so I don't even have to phone in and talk to anyone. I literally just fill out an email form with my associate ID#, the date, my shift time, pick a generic reason, fill in my next scheduled shift and when I expect to be back. Management has the option to call and ask for more info, but so far they haven't, and I'd probably just screen the call.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->