Anyone studying Midwifery? Advice needed :)

pinkbow

Proud Mummy
Reaction score
Im planning going back to uni to study this, i have the necessary grades for the course, but i would like a bit of an "advantage" if you like. I've been to uni before doing psychology(i'm 25) but i was wondering what other modules or courses etc anyone has taken outside of school etc to help their application along, or what looks good as maybe "extra curricular". i wasnt sure to maybe do some more "a levels" or a "care" course etc.

Any advice would be marvellous! Thank you :flower::flower:

Im planning going back to uni to study this, i have the necessary grades for the course, but i would like a bit of an "advantage" if you like. I've been to uni before doing psychology(i'm 25) but i was wondering what other modules or courses etc anyone has taken outside of school etc to help their application along, or what looks good as maybe "extra curricular". i wasnt sure to maybe do some more "a levels" or a "care" course etc.

Any advice would be marvellous! Thank you :flower::flower:

hi hun! i practically could have written this myself, i'm currently completing my application to do it sept 2013! i also did psychology degree previously lol. did you find any extra stuff to do? xx

Sorry no help but id love to be a midwife :( its ridiculously hard to get into in Scotland :cry: very few universitys actually offer the course anymore :( boo hoo

Good luck :flower:

I am wanting to go to Uni and do Midwifery when DS is older, atm I'm trying to do a psychology course through the OU :).

EDIT: I would suggested up-dating your first aid knowledge etc. if you haven't recently done so, always a handy thing to have! I've just recently redone mine and so much has changed since I done it in 2010 as part of my H&SC course at College!

Do some volunteering in a hospital even if its not a maternity unit :) or even a care home as it will be good to have some 'care' experience.
& if you dont get in first time round, try and try again.

Sk277 human biology open uni :) very favourable but hard.

YOU NEED VOLUNTARY WORK so apply to your hospital maternity wards.

Do your research on arising issues within the NHS. And make sure your personal statement includes a huge insight into the role of a midwife.

It's incredibly difficult to get into but good luck xx

Also bare in mind that 95% of a midwives career is looking after WOMEN not babies so don't say anything like you love cuddling babies as realistically you wont be doing any of that haha

Yeh definitely what pp said! And never mention pregnancy program's like obem lol. X

Midwifery is very hard to get into (believe me) but never give up. Best thing I can recommend is get some experiance in a hospital, maybe see about shadowing a midwife to gain some experience, or as said by another poster a care home, or health visitors, all experience is good :) if you would like any other information, pm me and il try and be of help :) x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->