Anyone successfully breastfeed with 'flat' nipples

Storm1jet2

Reaction score
Ok long story short I didn't get much of a chance to try and BF DD, the nurses at the hospital were useless, my nipples were 'less than ideal' - they are a bit flat but I didn't think that bad and I did have them pierced many years ago so I guess I have some scar tissue. 2 days after DD was born I was told my mum had terminal cancer and ended up sitting with her for the next month and she died when DD was 4 weeks and 1 day old - sometimes DD was with me other times at home with DH so the situation was less than ideal to try and BF although I did express a few times. I have always felt guilty about not breast feeding and would desperately like to do so this time.

With DD I never considered my anatomy might be less than ideal so I want to be super prepared this time so I can give it my best shot.

I was just wondering if anyone else had issues and what I can do to prepare this time!

Thanks!

Majority of the time flat nipples aren't a problem when BF at all. Often when they seem to be a problem there is another underlying issue, such as baby having tongue tie. You can use nipple shells worn in your bra from 32 weeks of pregnancy and these can gently draw out the nipple a bit, or you can pump briefly with a breast pump before feeds just to draw the nipple out. The last resort is nipple shields, its best not to use them off the bat as they can cause low supply and other problems. I've had five kids and my nipples are still relatively flat and it has never caused any serious problems. Some midwives will use any excuse to not help a mum to BF sadly, they will often make comments about boobs being either 'too small' or 'too large' to successfully feed as well :( xx

I have one inverted/flat nipple and it was a bit painful to start with as both my children also have lip ties. After a couple of weeks it is easy peasy though, I never looked back. There is no reaso why you can't breastfeed properly assuming baby is on board.

one of my nipples is flat and causes a fuss at the start, Even now trying to get Myles to take can hard but hes getting used to it. Can be frustrating.

I had a problem with flat nipples and my baby having a tongue tie. After trying and trying to get my baby to latch on we ended up resorting to a nipple shield, I'm lucky that it didn't decrease my supply at all, and around 3 months of age DS mouth had grown bigger and was able to latch on without the Shield. We haven't looked back since. So it is defiantly possible to feed with flat nipples, good luck!!

I have flat nipples and it hasn't caused me any problems at all. They get less flat by the day as Scarlett sucks them out! It might be harder at first to get a good latch so make sure you have good support for that should you need it.

Good luck!

I just used a breast shell to draw my nipple out for the first few days. This time around I didn't even have to do that.

https://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/products/category/breast-shells

These are what I used with my first

I don't have any special tips or hints, but I have reasonable sized (E cup) breasts with not only flat, but tiny width nipples! They are so puny that I can't find a breastpump of any brand that I can use without it hurting and sucking in too much of the surrounding tissue.

I've had success with breastfeeding twice now, despite my kinda weird boobs.

Thanks everyone for all your responses, I think I am much better prepared this time, I honestly didn't really think it was going to be an issue first time - how niave was I! This time I have shells, sheilds, pump etc.. and I really want to give it a good go! Personal circumstances made it impossible last time too, I'm hoping this time there won't be any massive family bereavements!

Thanks for posting this thread! Am getting prepared for my own breast feeding adventure with no2. Hoping it works well this time! Xx

I have flat nipples and it hasn't been a problem so far, other than the one day where engorgement made it more difficult for him to latch. :) Otherwise, things have been perfect.

Thanks ladies - its been really helpful hearing your success stories! The midwives were so unhelpful last time that I'm trying to get as much information up front this time as possible, hopefully I will also get in contact with a support group locally nearer the time too :)

I didn't read through the entire thread, but I had flat nipples and it worked out for us. We did have problems getting started because of LO's tongue tie and my flat nipples made it a little worse for him to latch when he had that plus his tiny mouth. I ended up pumping for a few seconds each time before feeding him in the beginning just to pull the nipple out further, plus pinching it to poke it out more for him to latch. It wasn't long before my nipples were pulled out a bit more permanently and it wasn't a problem at all.
Definitely see a good lactation consultant if you have any problems! And see if you can find one that someone recommends, as it can be hit or miss with the quality of help you get in my experience!

My son is 2 weeks old today; he still has trouble latching onto my breast as I have soft nipples and he doesn't have a very large mouth (not that my boobs are large, but there's certainly a conflict).

I have to use the nipple shields, I'm wishing I could transition him directly to breast but it's still too early.

I'm also battling mastitis so I was advised to use a pump and he takes well to the bottle and gets much better feeds that way.

So, so far I don't have success but I'm hopeful!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laree1820
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->