Anyone suffering with PUPPP or itchy hives on body?

readynwilling

Jadyn & Tyler's Mom
Reaction score
Hi ladies :flower:

Im only 24 weeks, but i wondered if any one here has anything similar....

Last week (Tuesday middle of night) i woke up to get something for DD, and my forearm was itchy. i slept ok the rest of the night but by middle of the day on wednesday my entire body was covered in itchy hives. That night i took a cool shower, slathered up in lotion and took a benedryl and went to sleep. The benedryl worked great. But when i woke up Thursday morning - the hives came back. my 9am i was in agony. so i went to see my family dr. She didn't know what it was.

It doesn't appear to be obstetric cholestasis as my soles of feet and palms of hands are NOT itchy (maybe the only 2 spots on my body). PUPPP is possiblity but hard to say as I am in my 2nd pregnancy, started on my arm - not belly, and started earlier in pregnancy.

Dr told me to take 5mg of Reactine 2x a day - but i find that 1 tablet lasts me a full 24 hours, and prescribed some steriod cream (that i haven't picked up yet as the pharmacy had to order it in :dohh: )

The rash is raised red bumps/hives. THey are not puss filled or blisters. They have been on the tops of my feet, ankles, entire legs, bum, lower half of belly, arms, neck, and chin and back of hands. But NOT plams of hands, soles of feet, or on my actual face.

I have broken out again this morning. They currently are on my legs, back of knees, and side of belly. Im trying NOT to take the reactine cause i want to see HOW bad it gets - can i live with the itch to not be taking the meds everyday.

I have not changed my washing detergent, shower products, eaten anything out of the ordinary.

Baby seems to be fine - the benedryl seems to put him to sleep as much as it does me - so i don't want to take that. He doesn't seem to slow his movements on the reactine, so it is my prefered medication. But even still I don't want to take a pill everyday for the next 16 or so weeks :(

Anyone suffering with anything similar and given a diagonsis of something?

Not same as yours, but I do have very sensitive skin that reacts to absolutely NOTHING! Lol I have rashes on my belly under the bump and underarms, hands from washing and alcohol gel, finger from my wedding ring :( legs from shaving, honestly my skin is a nightmare! So I hear ya! My saviour is Sorbolene! I use it as soap when my skin gets bad. Calamine for the rash/broken skin from itching. A couple of my friends swear by mcarthurs paw paw lotion, I haven't tried that yet cos its quite pricey! Why don't you try googling some natural skin soothers? I'm sure I've heard of an oatmeal honey and milk combination to soothe. Also olive oil soaps are very moisturising for skin! Be careful with the steroid creams, they can thin your skin after long term use... I prefer to use more natural remedies, but I'm not in your situation! Let me know if there's anything I can do!

im a big fan in more natural remedies too. I will look for the creams you mentioned - thanks!

I really hope it's not pupps because I suffered that rash I'm my 3rd pregnancy and the only way to relieve it is through labor. Basically your body becomes allergic to the pregnancy and the progesterone that it makes In the last weeks before labor. So idk why you would have that quite so early but I would go to your obgyn asap

Good luck! Mine went away within an hour Of delivery but up until then it was unbearable and the hives got so bad I was bleeding from them. Keep us updated

my Midwife and Dr don't know what it is. I have done some self diagnosing today and it looks like it could be
https://www.medscape.org/viewarticle/732932_6
Prurigo of Pregnancy (PP)
Prurigo of pregnancy affects approximately one in 300 to one in 450 pregnancies. The incidence of PP in non-Caucasian females is unknown. Although PP has been reported in all trimesters, it usually starts at approximately 25–30 weeks’ gestation and persists until delivery. It manifests itself with grouped, intensely pruritic papules over the extensor surfaces of the extremities, and occasionally on the abdomen and elsewhere; with disease progression, the trunk and extremities are equally involved. Excoriations and crusting secondary to scratching are invariably seen.[26] Nodular lesions similar to those of prurigo nodularis in nonpregnant females are often present. The disease usually resolves in the immediate postpartum period, although lesions may occasionally persist for up to 3 months. Recurrence with subsequent pregnancies is variable.

The rash when i look at google images looks VERY similar to what i have. And it sounds more likely as it can come on in the 2nd trimester.

Unfortunately it is also something that persists until delivery and generally is managed with antihistimines and topical steriod creams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->