anyone swapped from bf to ff? a few questions

lulasmummy

mummy to two princesses
Reaction score
Im unsure of whether to put my little lady onto formula so Id just like to ask those of you that breastfed but swapped onto the bottle a few things. Firstly do you premake bottles and how do you do this?
Do you find your LO has more wind/bellyache on formula? My bub is never windy and Id hate her to get it bad just because I put her on the bottle.
Do you find nights are easier as they go longer between feeds? Or more stress as you have to heat a bottle etc?
What do you prefer breast/bottle having had an insight into both?
Thanx girls :flower:

I'm prob not the best person to ask, as I only breastfed for a week!

I've always premade my bottles, I do this by making bottles as it says on the tin, then rapid cool them by sitting them in cold water for about 10 mins, then put them in the fridge. then when I need one just either sit it in a jug of boling water for a few mins or blast it in the microwave for 30 secs.

My lo was def a bit windier on the bottle but not much, but he has various other feeding issues, so that could have been a major factor.

Leo def managed to go a bit longer on the bottle, I think most bottle fed babies are the same. It is a bit of hassle having to get up and heat a bottle, but it doesn't take long.

You could always do a combination, bottle during the day breast at night?

Hi ive recently changed to formula,
I do pre-make, i boil the kettle leave for 20-30 mins,then pour in sterilised bottles and put in the formula, then rapid cool in a tub of cold water (keep changing it) and put in the back of the fridge. then when one is needed i microwave.

even when bf i had to express in the end and so had to use bottles which did give him wind, tried various bottles, now using mam ones they are great, no wind at all. but even when i was bf he was still a windy baby anyway. havent had any probs with the formula, he switched to it fine and his poos stayed the same (i was worried about constipation)

nights are ok as he is a good sleeper and i just blast a bottle in the microwave and he drinks it and falls asleep again, and has just started sleeping through, but cant say it was because of formula, he might of done it anyway, he was a good sleeper when bf too.

i prefer bf, but only if it is going well. its easier as no washing/sterilising and cheaper. but theres no difference in terms of bonding etc

hope that helps xx

I make it up the same way others have said..

I find LO less windy on the bottle as she faffed about so much on the boob..

She goes 4hr between feeds with formula but only 2 on boob- she wasnt getting enough from the start as my supply was all over the place.
X

I am expressing and feeding BM and formula. I do find that my lo will go a little longer on a bottle of formula but its not a major difference.
I don't premake the same way as the OPs, I boil the water and pour the right amount into the bottles, then put in the fridge. I put the formula powder in little pots (they came with my bottles) and when a feed is due I heat the water in the microwave and add the powder.
The reason I do this is because as I am also feeding EBM, I don't always know how many formula bottles I will need in a day as this will depend on how good my pumping has been! On a good day, I could end up throwing away bottles which I made up whereas the bottles of water can just stay in the fridge till I need it.
I find this is still much easier than making bottles from scratch every time as there's no way my lo would wait half an hour for the kettle to cool!
J x

Do you find your LO has more wind/bellyache on formula? My bub is never windy and Id hate her to get it bad just because I put her on the bottle.

Nope i noticed no difference at all :)

Do you find nights are easier as they go longer between feeds? Or more stress as you have to heat a bottle etc?

My LO sleeps all through the night so cant help u here...but during the day she doesnt go longer between feeds on formula.

BF is def better for bubs but i have had no issues with FF at all :flower:
:flower:

thank you all for the replies it is very difficult to decide what to do tbh :wacko:

Why do u wanna swap? I only BF for 3 months but thats cause i had alot of problems with it. I would have loved to have done it for longer x

This time around i breastfed only for 6days, but being on bottles has been easier for me.

My LO is only 11 days old but i tend to make 3/4oz bottles just put the boiled water in then when he wants a bottle i heat the water to the right temp and add formula.

He is windier on formula but most definitely more content he was feeding from me for 3hrs plus each feed even when my milk had come in, which was totally impractical when i have a toddler.

I did prefer breastfeeding and i really wanted to b/f this time for at least 1yr. I b/f my DD for 9mnths and if DS was my only child i would have persevered for longer but i don't have that time to dedicate this time around plus some other issues.

No-on can decide for you it must be your decision if you want to change it took me a couple of days to come to terms with not b/fing but i'm feeling better about it every day.

Im unsure of whether to put my little lady onto formula so Id just like to ask those of you that breastfed but swapped onto the bottle a few things. Firstly do you premake bottles and how do you do this?

I am currently combi feeding cos LO has been on a nursing strike during the daytime for over 2 months and I can't pump everything he eats.

I premake the following days bottles by boiling a kettle and then filling the bottles after 30 mins. I use TT bottles and TT powder dispensers that fit inside the bottle. When it's time to feed I can just tip, shake and go. BIG word of advice, try get LO used to room temperature formula or you will forever be trying to find somewhere to heat the milk. I have always given LO room temp without a problem.

No more wind/bellyache on formula and it doesn't affect his reflux.

He doesn't go any longer between feeds regardless of whether BF, EBM or FF.

I absolutely prefer BF and would do it 24/7 if only he would take it. I think every mummy must decide though what will work best for their baby...I have friends who made their lives a misery trying and trying to BF and hating it and equally some who switched to formula and regretted it.

...it's a tough decision. :flower:

Thanks ladies! I needed this post today. My little one is 8 days old, and I made the decision to switch to FF this weekend. Still nursing a couple times a day, but ultimately I was so stressed over it I wasn't enjoying my time with her. I have to return to work at 6 weeks, and want to enjoy every moment. I have found that she has a bit more gas, but nothing to terrible. I broke down and ended up crying on OH's shoulder. He said, you have to do what works for both of you. That's all I needed to hear. I would prefer to BF, but I have struggled with all three of my children. This time we even had time with a LC. :hugs:

Dont be hard on urself Four, 8 days is a great start for ur LO xxx

I BF for 14 weeks with one FF at night from 7 weeks! I moved to FF becos I couldn't cope with her constant feeding (every 1-2 hours day or night), and towards the end she kept refusing the boob so it became a fight for her to latch and feed especially in the early hours of the morning!

I really thought about what was for the best for both of us. My LO would wake grumpy cos of lack of sleep, I was resenting feeding her all the time and didn't feel like going out cos I didn't wanna feed in public!

When i switched I did have alot of guilt at first but i'm over it now. She sleeps much better but that could have happened anyway. She feeds every three hours through the day so we have more freedom!

I also feel I was kinda pushed more into FF by family who thought i was starving my LO cos she fed so often, but now she's FF I see she just feeds little and often and still only has 4/5oz feeds :)

I'm sure you'l decide whats best for you all, It is defo a personal decision. I would like to have carried BF at night and FF through the day if she would have carried on latching to have best of both worlds :)

This is a timely post for me!! Whenever I am about to ask a question on b and b, someone else is one step ahead! I'm just thinking of combination feeding, as I'm already topping up, LO had some weight issues. That's resolving but the breastfeeding is still so painful, despite my latch being checked, lo is still squashing my nipples beyond recognition and I'm hating how long it takes to feed her, being uncomfortable all the way through. Also, there are some places I wouldn't be comfortable feeding, and some people I would rather not feed in front of so I'm restricted.
The worst thing for me is the dread I feel before every feed. Sometimes I just cry. I want to bf, but it's proving so difficult and I'm not enjoying the first few weeks of my baby's life, that I can never have again. I literally hate bf'ing. :( yet I've tried everything I can think of, and everything I've been advised.
With dd I breastfed for 2 weeks and then ff. I was only young and had no support, was really hoping to succeed this time but despite support from my oh, midwives and infant feeding advisors, plus b&b, I'm just reaching the end of my tether. I think what tipped it for me was someone telling me they didn't enjoy their baby until they were 3 months, when they got more interaction from them and felt less like a milk machine. I just thought, I don't want to feel like this for the first 3 months of my baby's life!
So, my question would be, does anyone do both, and how does it affect your supply?
I don't want to stop totally, in case I regret it, and because I still want lo to benefit as much as I can manage. Maybe an option for Lulusmummy?
In answer to the original questions, dd was more windy, but it didn't affect her loads. The bottles are a faff, but if you are shy in public, much better for feeding and also having a life outside the home. Also, other ppl can feed, dd in my case and oh / babysitters.
Dd also slept more at night and feeds were miraculously shorter, plus no pain = less stress. I prefer ff for those reasons, but I don't want to do it exclusively if I can do a bit of both! Sigh....

This is a timely post for me!! Whenever I am about to ask a question on b and b, someone else is one step ahead! I'm just thinking of combination feeding, as I'm already topping up, LO had some weight issues. That's resolving but the breastfeeding is still so painful, despite my latch being checked, lo is still squashing my nipples beyond recognition and I'm hating how long it takes to feed her, being uncomfortable all the way through. Also, there are some places I wouldn't be comfortable feeding, and some people I would rather not feed in front of so I'm restricted.
The worst thing for me is the dread I feel before every feed. Sometimes I just cry. I want to bf, but it's proving so difficult and I'm not enjoying the first few weeks of my baby's life, that I can never have again. I literally hate bf'ing. :( yet I've tried everything I can think of, and everything I've been advised.
With dd I breastfed for 2 weeks and then ff. I was only young and had no support, was really hoping to succeed this time but despite support from my oh, midwives and infant feeding advisors, plus b&b, I'm just reaching the end of my tether. I think what tipped it for me was someone telling me they didn't enjoy their baby until they were 3 months, when they got more interaction from them and felt less like a milk machine. I just thought, I don't want to feel like this for the first 3 months of my baby's life!
So, my question would be, does anyone do both, and how does it affect your supply?
I don't want to stop totally, in case I regret it, and because I still want lo to benefit as much as I can manage. Maybe an option for Lulusmummy?
In answer to the original questions, dd was more windy, but it didn't affect her loads. The bottles are a faff, but if you are shy in public, much better for feeding and also having a life outside the home. Also, other ppl can feed, dd in my case and oh / babysitters.
Dd also slept more at night and feeds were miraculously shorter, plus no pain = less stress. I prefer ff for those reasons, but I don't want to do it exclusively if I can do a bit of both! Sigh....

:hugs: I was there with you. I spent an entire night on the sofa with my DD. Everytime it was time to feed, I would just cry. I was so stressed over getting it right this time. I was very unsuccessful with my other two children. Plus this time I have to return to work at 6 weeks. So there was added stress of starting to pump a freezer stash. I wasn't enjoying my time that I do have with her. I finally decided after a long cry on my OH's shoulder that I would switch to BF. Over the past few days we have only nursed a few times. Today we nursed this morning. Honestly, she is satisfied and happy either way. But, I have been a new Mommy.

Thanks Four. Yeah I remember the relief last time I swapped, but it was 15 (!) years ago, and I was just hoping that the problems I'd had were simple to remedy, relating to latch or being on my own or something. We have one last lifeline as we're going to see a surgeon about the tongue tie, but we don't think it's just the one thing, and it's such a mild tt that it's unlikely to be the main issue. It may be the surgeon does nothing. :shrug:
As my OH says, we can only do what we can do, and it's not as though we haven't tried everything we can think of. But that level of discomfort is not sustainable for the next 6 months +

I am currenty combi-feeding, I wish I had a bit more structure to it, but I'm basically making it up as I go.

The only consistancy is that she has 2 bottles in the evening (7.30 ish and 11pm ish) and has done since about 12 weeks, before that I used to let her clusterfeed until 11pm and just give the one bottle. Her longest sleep (3.5 to 4 hours) is after the first bottle, but this isn't any longer when its FF to when it's EBM or mixed. As the night goes on the sleep periods get shorter, down to 1.5 hours even tho she often goes 2.5 - 3 hrs between feeds in the daytime now. Overall, she still sleeps about the same at night as she did when exclusively BF or just had one bottle, the benefit is that I now get a couple of hours in the evening with my OH after she's gone to bed.

I give occassional daytime FF/topups but I'm worried my supply will go completely, so although I'd really like to move to something more structured (such as every other feed to try and get more in her during the day) I haven't.

I am currenty combi-feeding, I wish I had a bit more structure to it, but I'm basically making it up as I go.

The only consistancy is that she has 2 bottles in the evening (7.30 ish and 11pm ish) and has done since about 12 weeks, before that I used to let her clusterfeed until 11pm and just give the one bottle. Her longest sleep (3.5 to 4 hours) is after the first bottle, but this isn't any longer when its FF to when it's EBM or mixed. As the night goes on the sleep periods get shorter, down to 1.5 hours even tho she often goes 2.5 - 3 hrs between feeds in the daytime now. Overall, she still sleeps about the same at night as she did when exclusively BF or just had one bottle, the benefit is that I now get a couple of hours in the evening with my OH after she's gone to bed.

I give occassional daytime FF/topups but I'm worried my supply will go completely, so although I'd really like to move to something more structured (such as every other feed to try and get more in her during the day) I haven't.

I'm worried about losing my supply too. It's difficult isn't it. You just have to do your best and hope your body doesn't scupper it! I tried to express but after the first two attempts I could get nothing out at all, despite going three hours between. I bf as much as I can, and fit in the bottles around. Unfortunate I can't use EBM, I tried :shrug: But I then end up with nothing expressed and nothing to give her, and I worry then that its messing with my ducts and will make it difficult for her to feed on the boob as well.

FF was hell for us, the air from bottles aggravated his acid reflux (I exclusively pumped before and this was also the same issue), and then he was allergic to milk so the soy formula made him constantly gassy and always in pain.

I never actually "breast"-fed, only pumped, so no advice on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->