anyone taking citalopram???

passengerrach

mummy to kai
Reaction score
i have been prescribed citalopram for depression i have had the pack for two weeks but im too scared to start taking them after reading the side effects and iv looked them up and seen people say how awful they felt for the first few weeks of taking them any advise from anyone on them im scared that if i take them tonight im going to feel awful tomorrow and not be able to take care of my son properly any info or advise appreciated

i had them :(

the side effects for me was they made me sleep all the time..but once they got into my system they did me a world of good, im off them now but if you have been perscribed them give them a try if you do get side affects go back to the doctors i hope you feel better soon

HI, I am on these, for me they worked quite quick and didn't experience any side effects,, which is unusual as I am sensitive to many meds. Try them, give them chance to work see how you go, if still unsure go,back to doctors and explain what you feel as he has given you them for a reason hun x all the best

I was on escitalopram which is similar. It did make me feel a bit like a zombie for the first week or so, but once it started working, it did me the world of good.

Remember that the side effects listed are only possibilities, not definites :hugs: It's well worth taking the tablets, as the benefit when they start working is immeasurable.

thanks everyone i will take one tonight as my partner is off work for the next two days so at least if i do feel crap he can take care of kai. its only 10mg so im hoping as its a low dose i wouldnt get many side effects. and does anyone know if you can have an occasional drink while taking them? and if the pill (contraceptive) still works with them? thanks again

my doctor prescribed me these 2 weeks back. i havent started taking them. im the same and i think ill have problems looking after megan and just not feeling myself

I was on them for 18 or so months. I felt a little sick for a couple of weeks. To be honest, if you want to get better then trying meds can definitely help, side effects pass, depression might not!

im on them hun and i have been since connah was 4 months old. I had every side effect going for about a week and half but after that they do work.Honestly,give them a go and you will start to feel better :hugs:
Also,they are supposed to be taken in the morning to get the best effects
hope you feel better soon xxx

I'm on them for Post Natal Depression. 20mg doses a day.
I won't lie, the first week or so I felt worse then I did without them. I was left like a complete zombie. Literally sitting staring into space. I couldn't care for my baby because I was so out of it, thankfully my husband was able to step in as he was still on paternity leave. The doctor warned me this would happen but I still took them. I knew that after the dark period I would feel better. And I do :) They do work. x

I used to be on them and if I need to go back on anti depressants I will be requesting them as they were the best for me I'd ever been on. I was on the pill with them and drank (if you call 1 beer every 3 months drinking), no issues. I went on them while transitioning off Effexor so didn't have startup side effects. I did have to take them in the evening to start off with as I had some nausea and tiredness, but after a while it was fine.

it's worth taking them at night so you don't struggle so much in the day with the side effects - especially if they make you tired quite quickly.
you can drink on them, but obviously in moderation because if you drink too much you can get a nasty hangover.
the pill is NOT affected by anti-depressants unless they make you sick, because obviously you could sick up the pill.
Good luck :D

they will be tough for the first little while but worth it :hugs:

Hello :hi:
Im a psychiatrist so know about citalopram/escitalopram and have taken them myself too in the past.
The side effect list is scary but every drug has a list like that including paracetamol/ibuprofen/aspirin - its a full list just to protect the drug company really.

They are good drugs and they work for a lot of people and have low side effects and risk compared to other antidepressants. Mind they take at least 3 weeks to work though so if you dont feel better within the first month or two dont give up. Also 10mg is a very low dose - normally you would stabilise on 20mg.

The main side effects I got initially with citalopram were low appetite (which could be a good thing!) and shaking. I switched to escitalopram after 3 months and had no side effects at all. (Escitalopram is citalopram cut in half - the half that works - much more expensive for your GP) :winkwink:

Its OK to be on the pill with these and its also OK to drink alcohol except that alcohol makes you depressed so effectively cancels out the citalopram. A few drinks here or there is fine though

Hope this helps. :flower:

i am still on them, started on 10mg for a week, then stepped up to 20mg - they made me super groggy for first few weeks and upset my belly a bit - i sleep super well on 20mg and find it hard to get up.......the positive effects tho have been great and i am now back on 10mg to see if I stay feeling okay - then I have 3 more months before i stop taking them! I had them for PND.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->