Anyone testing sugar levels

HayleyJJ

Reaction score
My best friend is 32 weeks and having to test before and after he levels are about 9 after eating is this high or normal? She's wondering if thee induce if this carrys on

She always had excess fluid and baby put on 1 lb 4 Oz in 9 days

Any answers welcomed thanks in advance

9 is kind of high they will send her to a dietician if that doesnt help the may put her on insulin if she ends up on insulin she will probably be induced. She should mention to her dr he may want to do the 2 hour gtt as well if she already passed it

Is she testing exactly 2 hours after she eats? If so, the normal range is between 4-9. If she doesn't cut out the carbs/processed foods and manage the blood sugars with diet they'll give her insulin to pack away the extra sugar into fat (on her body - not baby's). If baby gets too big from not addressing the problem, they'll induce her early.

Is she in the UK? The nice guidelines for Gestational diabetes are below 5.3 for fasting (1st thing in the morning), below 7.8 1hr after food and 6.4 2 hrs after (i think!) Every hospital has its own policy though and expectations differ.
Is she being offered extra scans? If her levels are 9 then I'd recommend she speaks to her consultant as that does sound high. I'm surprised she's passed her GTT. When did she last take it? gestational diabetes can get worse as a pregnancy progresses so it might have got worse since the last test.

There isn't a hard and fast rule regarding induction. It depends on whether the diabetes and growth is controlled, how it's controlled (diet, insulin etc) and the individual hospital policy. There isn't a hard and fast rule. I hope that's useful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->