Anyone thought about going fishing with your kids?

LibertyForMe

Reaction score
I am thinking about starting a business that makes taking your kids fishing less complicated. Before I spend a lot of time on it, I wanted to see if this is something anyone would be interested in!

Basically, if I did this, I would sell 2 types of things; informational products that teach people what to do, and fishing combo sets that include rod, reel, tackle, and a detailed guide that shows how to use everything in the combo.

The combo sets would be high quality, not the junk currently sold in stores. They would run between $50-$80, but they would be ready to fish, and take your kids fishing, immediately. They would be suitable for ages 6 or 7 through adult.

Does anyone think this is a good idea, and would any be interested in this if I started it?

It's a great concept if it's not a common activity where you live, but where I'm at near everyone fishes or has fished at some point in their life and I don't think many people would pay for a package like that. If you think about it, most people who are inclined to take their kiddo fishing want to do so because it's already something they do or know how to do.

Demographics would definitely be a factor in determining your success.

I think you might have good luck sorting those details out if you join local fishing groups on fb :)

It sounds like a nice idea as it would take the stress out of buying that initial setup for a child. however, my husband has fished since he was about 6 or 7 and is already introducing our son who is 4.5 to it using a whip and rig setup. He took a few odds and ends like disgorgers and spares out of his kit but essentially we had Earl all kitted out for less than £15. This setup lasted well all summer (so well in fact my hubby went and got himself one! lol). I think if you could find a way to make it risk free so a real 'throwaway' item like what we've got, and with a price to match that, or to make it a 'gift' set which would tender more value and be more of an investment (i.e. what we'd look to buy Earl in a couple of years time once he's mastered his current setup) then it would probably work.

Fishing generally is a huge market though, so maybe worth doing some research into packages already offered by different makes/companies. I know Shakespeare so a lot of 'ready to fish' stuff and boxes of tackle suited to different fishing styles so something like that may work.

Good luck :thumbup:

Awesome! Thanks a ton for the feedback!

I have decided to hold a couple local classes to test the waters. Essentially, it would be a 3-4 hour class, where I teach the kids all about the biology of different fish, teach them about worms, teach them how to cast and unhook fish, and then get them fishing with their parents. There would be a strong educational slant to the classes.

I think with the right marketing parents will be interested in this, as it will be a fun fishing experience with a cool educational twist.

We go fishing alot. Its pretty straight forward here. You grab your rods and head to one of the many lakes/dams in our city. Its fun. My three year old has been fishing since she was 1!

TBH, your idea sounds good, but too expensive. I wouldn't pay more than $10. In fact, we love fishing because it is free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->