anyone try Maca?

mod19

Reaction score
I started working at a health foods/vitamin store and my manager recommended a few things to me. I'm starting with the maca. He said its supposed to balance out your hormones plus a bundle of other great things (helps prevent cancer, increases libedo, etc).

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with Maca. I've only been on it for a few days, but i will admit that about a half hour/hour after taking it i wanna jump on the hubby! lol

I tried it at half-dose and reacted badly. It gave me terrible insomnia and felt like I was running on adrenaline the whole time, even though I took it in the morning. Some people love it, but it definitely wasn't for me! I stopped taking it after a couple of weeks.

I've read good things about the effects, but I haven't tried it myself yet. I was going to get the powder for smoothies.

I've tried it, and found it to be very helpful. My ovulation was becoming irregular and maca seemed to make a big difference to my estrogen levels and helped me ovulate. I'm on clomid right now so I've stopped taking it for the moment, but I'll certainly go back to it if/when I stop the clomid.

There is some scientific evidence of it's benefits, it's supposed to balance out hormones (especially estrogen) and support thyroid and pituitary function. It's also very safe, although I read it's good to start at a low dose and slowly increase it to avoid digestive issues, so that's what I do.

Our daughter was conceived on my first month of maca, could just be a coincidence though. It made me feel like i had a little extra energy :)
ive just ordered some more off amazon & will start taking them next month

Maca root - I took by Pill form- and it worked with regulating my cycles back to a 28-32 days. Thats been normal for me since I was 15 yrs old. When I had my Miscarriage last year- My cycle was all over the place and VERY VERY heavy. Maca Root helped a lot. The GNC woman told me to be careful because it can increase fertility. Now i will say this- I allowed my daughter to take it for her skin and hair because it helps with hair growth but I was advised to let her use it every other cycle. The thing is when she came off of it, she had a regular cycle and then break through bleeding in between. Shes not on birthcontrol or anything. I cant say it was for sure becuase of the Maca Root, but thats the only thing that I could find as for the reasoning of her breakthough bleed.
Over all - I liked it and so does my daughter still. Good Luck to you!!!

I apologize for the random post about Maca. I am constantly reading these forums, but I never post. I had such an unusual reaction to Maca, I felt the need to share publicly in case anyone else thinks they are going crazy. I am 32 y.o. and have been ttc for 18 months. I first tried Maca 3 months ago and initially enjoyed the energy and libido effects. I started with a small dose and worked up to 2 pills a day. After a week of this, I developed hemorrhoids. Yes hemorrhoids. I was shocked to see blood - I have never had this happen in my life. I stopped taking the maca and they disappeared. This past cycle, I decided to give Maca another go. This time, I bought the gelatinized Maca, thinking my reaction was a digestive issue due to it being raw. I started slowly again - first every other day and then one a day. It had such a strong effect on my body - incredibly sore breasts, spotting 2 days before my period (never happens - I have very regular cycles) and then the hemorrhoids came back even worse. I stopped the maca immediately, but the effects have continued. I stopped two weeks ago and the hemorrhoids have improved but have not vanished. Breasts are still sore and I been spotting non stop since my period ended last week. The spotting is getting heavier and it looks like I am going to have another period just a week after my last one. The spotting and irregular cycles seem commonplace with maca, but I cannot find anyone who has experienced hemorrhoids as a side effect. The first time it happened, my chiropractor mentioned that my liver was congested - odd since I rarely drink and take milk thistle regularly. My theory is that for some reason my liver cannot process the excess hormones and the congestion is causing the hemorrhoids. I can't decide if this reaction means positive (detox) or negative changes for my body. Either way I am done with Maca. If you are experiencing these side effects, please know you are not alone!

Although I had no ill effects from maca it didn't work for me and I ended up taking agnus castus in the form of vitex. Good luck!

Has anyone taken it in powder form? If so how??

Has anyone taken it in powder form? If so how??

I actually searched for a post about Maca as I'm taking it now. I was in Vitamin Shoppe and the lady recommended it for Fertility. I did about 10 minutes of research there in the shopp on my phone and got it.

It's been amazing so far. Libido change is very noticeable. CM is very very noticeable, and I started taking it AFTER o.

I've heard other things so I was wondering if anyone had any other positive or negative side effects. I also read that you should only take the power form. I don't take the pills or the galvanized form.

To take it, I mix it in a protein shake. Quick and easy. Don't even taste it.

I get the organic capsules from rainforest foods when I'm ttc and give it to dh too! We got pg the first cycle taking it (3rd cycle trying) with dd and now ttc no 2 I got a faint bfp yesterday on cycle 2 - but testing again tomorrow to be sure! so it's a thumbs up to maca from me!

I'm thinking of starting this once I get off birth control! I'm gonna head over to the healthfood store to get more information. I think I'll buy the powder so I can change my dosages as I stay on it longer. This seems like the miracle herb I have been looking for! And not just for fertility but overall mood/energy and skin/hair condition. It increases libido and can even increase the size of your curves! I know when I'm not on bcps I'm practically flat as a board. It helps the pituitary gland which controls all your hormones like serotonin (feel good hormone) and obviously estrogen and progesterone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->