Anyone try the Paleo diet?

Also, protein from plants isn't nearly as diverse as the protein you get from meat, not to mention the B vitamins (e.g.: folic acid) that you get from consuming meats and seafood, not plants and grains (processed) and soy (processed).

The mass processing and manipulation of soy was never possible at any point in human history until the 20th century, so it doesn't make good biological or evolutionary sense to suggest that plant protein supports fertility better than animal protein. It's what our species has lived on for the majority of our existence.

I hear you about soy but as for plants in general - humans for most of history have eaten a wider variety of plants than today in the developed world. I bet we miss alot of nutrients from that. My feeling more plants and more meat = good:flower:

I'm a foodie and like 3 square meals and proper food, eg meat, potatoes, and veg, on my plate every night. Living in a cold climate a diet of raw vegetables would be both insufficient and rather depressing.

Sorry ladies but I can't imagine doing this caveman diet thing, what if I'm eating out with work, or go to someone's house for dinner, I couldn't expect people to make me special food unless there was a compelling medical reason to do so eg coeliac.

I'm all for balance, and a bit of what you fancy does you good.

I think paleo diet is good because there is no processed food in it. Everything else is not important. You can eat even refined sugar in moderation, for example, but not, cookies, chocolate etc. made in factories. Also, they accent the full fat milk products. I have also heard a nutritionist saying, celiac disease and lactose intolerance are both caused by production process not by food itself. It means real wheat seed will not cause caliac, as well as raw domestic milk form the farm will not cause lactose intolerance. These diseases appeared when processed food was invented.

I'm a foodie and like 3 square meals and proper food, eg meat, potatoes, and veg, on my plate every night. Living in a cold climate a diet of raw vegetables would be both insufficient and rather depressing.

Sorry ladies but I can't imagine doing this caveman diet thing, what if I'm eating out with work, or go to someone's house for dinner, I couldn't expect people to make me special food unless there was a compelling medical reason to do so eg coeliac.

I'm all for balance, and a bit of what you fancy does you good.

A diet of raw veggies - errr nope that is not what the Paleo diet is - you must have confused it with the raw veggie diet.....:shrug:

Any suggestions on "stand ins" for grains. One i have is sphaghetti squash for pasta. I have not found any others i suppose a google search would help too.

I like vegetables, nuts, seeds etc, so that part's easy... Got used to more eggs... And great that you can have things like bacon!

hi all i hope you dont mind me joining in i have a friend that swears by this diet and he says he feels great(he's been doing paleo awhile now) he has told me to look at a web site called second opinions by barry groves

Northstar, the paleo diet is NOT a raw food diet and never has been. We eat the most NATURAL forms of foods possible—think farmer's market and butcher shop—and avoid, whenever possible, processed foods like grains and soy.

It’s not a hard diet to follow unless you’re absolutely against eating REAL food. Basically, as I have said before, we eat natural foods from their sources (or as close to as possible).

And while it may seem expensive to eat this way, it is not. My husband and I don’t have the most money in the world, but we manage to eat about three paleo meals per day (and snacks) on about $500 per month—before you say that’s a lot, if you calculate it out and we only spend about $125 per week for two people and we buy our meats from a butcher at least twice a month. That said, you can do it for much less than that! If you have a Sunflower Market near you, check them out. Their produce is extraordinarily fresh and they have a large organic section. While we prefer grass-fed beef (because it offers better nutrition), I can highly recommend Sunflower’s meat section even though it’s all grain fed with the exception of their ground beef, which is grass fed. Their meats are not treated with antibiotics or hormones, and are pretty darn cheap! We bought two pounds of pork shoulder for roughly $3 total—you can’t beat that!

Alison29, I would recommend cauliflower as a stand in for rice, but I don’t have anything else to recommend. Generally, if you keep substituting foods you liked with foods that are “safe” you’re never going to expand your palette—I used to do the same thing and it just made me feel like a lazy paleo. I’m curious to know how you’re doing now, though! If you’re still struggling with food ideas, I can help.

Gigitogtog, YES BACON! There is no better food than BACON!

Gomyddy, I would like to add that good fats in the paleo community mainly refer to saturated, monounsaturated, and omega-3; avoid, at all costs, omega-6 from processed oils and “buttery” spreads.

I had to go Paleo this year, it was the only diet left with foods I wasn't intollerant to. Celiac, so no gluten, also soy, egg, dairy (which I'm finding out with elimination trials is cow dairy, not goat dairy, so I've found a cheese I can use sparingly), rice, corn, and a few other random things that I love. It's very hard in the beginning, but becomes easier as you get used to it. I love nuts, so I munch on cashews (intollerant to walnuts, allergic to macadamia and pistachio, still having issues with peanuts so I'm staying away from those). I use different mixes that have almond flour and tapioca flour. At the moment, I have issues with whole fruits and veggies, so I juice and puree. I will be able to eat the whole foods again, but it takes time to heal and I understand that. My coworkers DO NOT understand any of it and actually accused me of having an eating disorder. I had to stop eating around them and eat in my office by myself.

I recommend reading Wheat Belly and also The Devil in the Milk if you want to understand more about how what we eat today is not good for us and is killing some of us, especially if you have issues with gluten and/or dairy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->