anyone used a tens machine before for early labour ?

star99

Reaction score
i have the boots tens machine i used before i was pregnant for back pain. does anyone know which programs are the better ones for labour pains ? did it help ?

I was thinking the same thing hun interested to see if it works xx

yeah i have just start on the lowest setting and gradually build it up as contractions increase... when u get to about setting 8 then use the boost button too to see u thru a contraction

There are different programs on my tens machine was there on yours ?

no u just had constant, with numbers 1 to 10 for both sides, and a boost button for round my neck

Erm, I can't advise on your actual question but was told by midwife at antenatal class that you shouldn't use a back pain tens machine for labour..... I'm not sure why though (sorry not to be helpful). May be worth checking with your own midwife before using yours. Hopefully it's just that it isn't as effective as a labour one (and not that it can do any harm) but better safe than sorry :)

That's bit odd , surely a tens machine works using same pain principles for pregnancy . On mine there are quite a few different modes depending on what type of pain you have , whether muscular or visceral etc . Will ask midwife but will try using it at home I think when labour starts

I tried to buy a tens machine for my last baby but they all said unsuitable for pregnancy and labour, i never bothered in the end but this time have hired a pregnancy one. Not sure what the differance is though!

I know that with the pregnancy ones there are four pads (two that go just below your bra strap line and two that affix just above your buttocks) whereas I think the normal ones just have two pads. I'm not sure whether the 'not suitable for labour' thing is just because the non-pregnancy ones are less effective though.

Erm, I can't advise on your actual question but was told by midwife at antenatal class that you shouldn't use a back pain tens machine for labour..... I'm not sure why though (sorry not to be helpful). May be worth checking with your own midwife before using yours. Hopefully it's just that it isn't as effective as a labour one (and not that it can do any harm) but better safe than sorry :)

I already had a normal TENS (Boots Advanced) and I was confused about this issue as my machine said cant use in first 12wks of pregnancy but nothing about afterwards. My midwife said it would be fine, other people's said not to use it.

In the end I spoke to an obstetric physiotherapist at the hospital. She uses TENS machines as THE safe pain relief in pregnancy (SPD etc.) and told me I was fine to use mine - the only diff is that it doesn't have the boost button (the advanced model does have 4 pads and that is necessary in labour for good pain relief).

I used the setting I had previously used for period pain (the booklet recommends certain settings for certain types of pain) and it did help. However once I got to past 5cm i was too distracted to up the intensity during contractions and I think a boost button would have been a good addition. I ended up taking it off once i was in more established labour

The only thing you have to keep in mind is that you must never put the pads on your abdomen, but that is true of the obstetric ones too.

That makes sense . I already have the boots one so I'm not going to bother getting another one. Booster button sounds helpful but I think I'll just use machine whilst I'm at home anyway . Thanks for that punk pig
X

i used one the other day when i was having really strong contraction ( sadly they have stopped now) :( but got to be fair it was quite good, although there were times i wanted to take it off and when i did i put it straight back on!!! lol xx

i'll try what i've got then, i don't want to waste money getting a specific maternity one. if i need the drugs i'm having them !!
x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"