Anyone used BLW with a preemie?

pink.crazy

Mummy to 2 boys!
Reaction score
Just wondering as I'm considering taking this route (not yet though)

I tried Leo on baby rice (Nutritionist suggested getting onto lumps before 7 months).. his tummy's clearly not ready for it, he was unsettled and quite sicky - let's face it, it is just stodge!

So I got thinking about BLW and the fact that he could explore tastes and textures at his own pace. I've done a bit of research and I'm thinking it would be good for us, did any of you ladies do it, or did you wean in the traditional way? At what age (actual/corrected) did you start?

BLW = Baby led weaning
From what I understand it's about offering baby finger foods and letting them hold and explore the taste and texture, rather than spooning them food.

I started weaning at 6 1/2 months actual 3 months corrected because I was following the bliss guidelines and was told you had to start before 7 months but personally I didn't think she needed it. I chose traditional weaning because picking things up and eating is part of their development which I base on her corrected age so I didn't attempt finger foods until 6 months corrected and she took to it really well then.

I never really used baby rice I started on butternut squash as it blends really well. I also added breastmilk to it.

25weeker,I think the main reason I'm feeling like this is that I'm not ready to wean Leo, I feel confused about it as I don't see him as being ready to wean but I'm feeling pressure from the professionals, so if I offer him finger foods he is at least having contact with foods. He sits well in his bumbo so he at least has the head control, he's not picking things up by himself but he will hold onto things if I give them to him. My idea is that he'll sit with us for mealtimes and I'll offer him whatever veggies we have - a carrot stick,piece of brocolli etc.. if he doesn't take toit and start "eating" the foods I'll probably start purees nearer 5 months corrected (8 months actual) like you say butternut squash/sweet potato or similar.. he only takes around 20oz of milk a day (only 15oz for a few days) so I don't want to be replacing any feeds yet, but I do want him to be tasting foods sooner rather than later.
Am I doing the right thing?? I feel like I'm going insane!

I only gave Holly tiny amounts up to 6 months corrected so it wouldn't affect her feeds. Once she was 6 months I let her eat until she doesn't want anymore and she has went from 8 feeds to 5.

I think with BLW they are supposed to be able to pick the food up and put it in their mouth as this reduces the chances of them choking. Although I only researched it a little bit when I was introducing finger food so I could be wrong.

I stuck to Bliss too because i read BLW wasnt recommended for preemies, but i never knew why

Im guessing if you did you would need to go by corrected age rather than actual, but its all guesses here!

Do Bliss have all of this on their website? I've never used it..

When you say tiny amounts, how much do you mean? If I go with TW I'll freeze portions in an ice cube tray, would you give a whole portion or just a couple of spoons?
I'm going around in circles, part of me thinks he'll be ready physically first and the other thinks he'll be ready for food first, ugh... am I over thinking this??

go with your instincts...if weaning him early does not feel right then that is all the reason you need! :hugs:
most cultures wean much much later and they all learn to eat/feed themselves eventually!

Bliss say to go by actual age, there are documents on the website you can download xxxx

I started weaning my dd at 6 mths actual 3 mth corrected all was well for the first months or so then she refused point blank i tried every thing even giving her favourite foods but she wasn't having it,so my only alternative was to BLW and its the best thing ever my son a full term was on puree so BLW was all new to me,she is more confident with eating and hardly gags on her food like she did on purees, its very messy! so if you are going down that route u will need plenty of bibs LOL.As long as your baby can pick food up and place into his mouth he will be fine he will take the lead,also you will find that he will only eat small amounts at first nothing compared to if you was feeding him pre- loaded spoon .Its stress free which i love.Have a read at the Gill Rapley book its a great read. i would agree go with your instincts and what you think is best for your baby there is no right or wrong way of doing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->