Anyone want to sign a petition for US maternity leave?

FAB mama

Reaction score
I came across this petition this morning about getting paid maternity leave for US mothers. It's heartbreaking to think some mothers must return to work at 6 weeks and most by 3 months.

Please sign!
https://www.change.org/p/u-s-congres...aternity-leave

(also posted in other sections… moderators, if that's not allowed I'm sorry!)

Link didn't work. But yes, that will be me in a couple months. 6 weeks, and back at work. :(

Yes. I will sign as this will be me soon too. I only have paid sick days to take so I will only have off 20 work days (4 weeks)!! I could take up to 12 weeks through FMLA but it would be unpaid. :(

Yes. I will sign as this will be me soon too. I only have paid sick days to take so I will only have off 20 work days (4 weeks)!! I could take up to 12 weeks through FMLA but it would be unpaid. :(

I thought FMLA was paid? I had four months off and it was paid.. That wasn't including the start before the actual birth.. I had 12 weeks FMLA and the first 6 weeks post partum... I got paid for all my time off..

Signed!!!! I'm not working right now, but I was when I had DS and will hopefully be whenever we have another. It's ridiculous that working mothers don't already have this right! I was given 8 weeks for my C-section, but wasn't paid as I was screwed out of short term disability.

I thought FMLA was paid? I had four months off and it was paid.. That wasn't including the start before the actual birth.. I had 12 weeks FMLA and the first 6 weeks post partum... I got paid for all my time off..

Some companies pay, but it's up to the discretion of the company. Most do not pay. There is a possibility of short term disability, but the first week isn't paid, and if you're like me, you end up getting screwed out of that.

My job gives me the option of using my 5 sick days for that 1st unpaid week of short term disability. Unfortunately I have no sick time left. I'll be taking the 12 weeks through fmla and the majority of my time will be unpaid.

Some companies pay, but it's up to the discretion of the company. Most do not pay. There is a possibility of short term disability, but the first week isn't paid, and if you're like me, you end up getting screwed out of that.

Ah... I see... So the FMLA you can get if you want it, but only some companies will pay you for it.. I never knew that.. But yes, I agree that families should be able to stay home longer and not worry about the financial struggle of wanting to bond..

Ah... I see... So the FMLA you can get if you want it, but only some companies will pay you for it.. I never knew that.. But yes, I agree that families should be able to stay home longer and not worry about the financial struggle of wanting to bond..

I don't work for a company. I work for the state (teacher in public school) and we are considered contract workers. I didn't have long or short term disability as I couldn't afford the premiums. So any fmla for me would be unpaid. The only pay I get is sick and personal days. Thank goodness I have 20 sick days and two personal days built up!! Otherwise it would be all unpaid leave like a friend of mine had to take for her maternity leave in October.
I couldn't afford not to be paid and then have to pay the doctor bills for delivery that would show up just as I was returning to work.

FMLA just protects you from getting fired for the missed work time. Most companies don't pay out at all for maternity leave and since it's stressed that "pregnancy isn't a disability" short term disability will only be paid if you have a good insurance company that views it as such. Had I not been fired for getting pregnant in the first place, I would have had to return to work before the standard 6 weeks, any time off would have been unpaid.

Crappy part is for me I will be off and have a sub but I still have to "work" as I am still responsible for my students achievement and growth and I am responsible for supplying the daily lesson plans that the sub is supposed to follow (but there is no guarantee she will follow them!!)
so I will be off but still have to work. Even now I have to take my work home with me in order to stay on top of things!! I love teaching Nd I love kids but something's gotta give in our educational system!! I don't know of any one who has to take their work home with them and yet doesn't get compensated for it! Sorry.... Rant over

It's an absolute crying shame. 6 weeks?! I had only just come to terms with having my daughter by then. I will sign.

Husband and I signed! Currently only 3 states offer paid FMLA, New Jersey, California and Rhode Island, so maybe PP is from one of these states?
I truly don't understand why we lag behind on this issue at all. The only other country that offers no paid maternity leave is Papua New Guinea.

I signed. Ug. This whole topic just makes me want to cry thinking about it. My company has short term disability which covers pregnancy--so as long as that kicks in, I will at least be able to take 6 weeks (though at a reduced rate than my current pay). But that will be all.

Crappy part is for me I will be off and have a sub but I still have to "work" as I am still responsible for my students achievement and growth and I am responsible for supplying the daily lesson plans that the sub is supposed to follow (but there is no guarantee she will follow them!!)
so I will be off but still have to work. Even now I have to take my work home with me in order to stay on top of things!! I love teaching Nd I love kids but something's gotta give in our educational system!! I don't know of any one who has to take their work home with them and yet doesn't get compensated for it! Sorry.... Rant over

I'm in the same situation! I teach high school chemistry and will be working from home (unpaid of course)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->