Anyone who has more than one child - staggering bedtimes?

claire1978

Mum of 4
Reaction score
My oldest 2 children are 7 and 4, at the moment they go to bed at the same time which they are both happy about but my hubby has suggested that we let the oldest stay up abit longer and to stagger the bedtimes, thats what happened with him and his sisters when they were younger

What do u do?

I personally wouldn't only because of school. My boys are 6, 4 and then 20mo...they all are in bed at 8. My oldest has to be up for school at 7 and even then sometimes he's still a bit tired, so letting him stay up later wouldn't make much sense you know? If you think he would still get plenty of sleep for school then maybe. I think at the ages mine are at it's hard to do that, they are so close to each other and I don't think it would be very fair, maybe if they were quite a bit older or something...like 10 and 8 or something I'll see then.

My oldest 2 children are 7 and 4, at the moment they go to bed at the same time which they are both happy about but my hubby has suggested that we let the oldest stay up abit longer and to stagger the bedtimes, thats what happened with him and his sisters when they were younger

What do u do?
What time do they go to bed?
mine are 10 and 3 so big gap, Emily used to go to bed at 730ish from age 7-8 and could read for 1/2 hour
she now goes when she wants but has to be in bed for 9, she tends to go at 8 and read or watch telly.
Jack is always in bed betwen 7 and 7.30

I would let your oldest stay up a bit later even if it is only 1/2 hour

personally I think 7.30-8 is late enough for a 7-8 year old especially with school the next day

When its school the next day they go to bed at 6.30ish and on a weekend its 7/7.30 and are allowed to watch tv for half hour or so

Im not sure about giving them a different bedtime, I dont think Rhianna would settle knowing Ellis is still up, they are quite close and think it may be unfair

Hi, I was the youngest of three kids, and we had staggering bed times too. I think it is a fair thing especilly to show the older one - another advantage of being older :).
for example - I had to go at age 7 to bed at 7.00pm , and my brother who was a year older at 7:30 and my sister who was 4 years older at 8:00pm
Sort of each half year 1/2 hour later to bed . until i was about ten, and then from 14 years I was allowed to go to bed at 9:00pm

My younger 2 are 4 & 2 and they go to bed around 7 to 7.30. My eldest will normally go to bed at the same time so the younger ones don't feel put out, but he gets to read in bed until 8.

Mine are 3, 5 and 6.

In the week my 3 and 6 year olds are both girls and share a room so i put the 3 year old to bed first to give her 30 mins to go to sleep before my 6 year old goes to bed, other wise they play all night :roll:
My 5 year old lad goes up at the same time as my 3 year old.

I find my eldest needs more sleep than my youngest tho at the mo.

I've got three 4, 5, and 8. They all go to bed at 8pm sometimes 7:30, and on weekends 9ish. I love bedtime, it means alone time... so staggering just sounds like crazy talk! But that's just me. :) Good luck.
P

My children are 3 and 6, Dylan goes to bed at 8-8.30 and Sophie-louise goes at 9.00, she's likes to stay up that little bit later makes her feel like a big girl. xx

My kids are 11,9,4 and nearly one. All go up to bed at 7:30 in the week but my two eldest who share a room read books or play on their DS's until 9 oclock then its lights out. Although saying that there are a few nights where my eldest has scouts or trumpet lesson and doesnt get home until later but then she goes straight up to bed after those. All my children settle good as gold at bed and i get relax time and housework catch up time b4 it gets too late lol

I have a girl 5, and 2 boys 6 and 8.

5 year old goes upto bed at 7.30 with a story on a weekday, and 8pm on a weekend with a film.
6 year old - weekday 8pm with story, weekend 8.30 with a film.
8 year old - weekday 9pm (no story, he gets time with us), weeknd 9.30 and catches end of film with his brother.

Obviously Theo (4 weeks isn't in a routine yet. Lol)

xx

i have a 6 and 3yr old. they both go bed at same time. we did tell eldest he can go to bed slightly later BUT he decided that he wants t go bed at same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->