Anyone's work giving them anxiety while TTC?

ellavisions

Reaction score
Beginning to TTC #2. My DD just turned 5.
I work as a PSW (some places that's a nursing aide) in a retirement home.
During my first pregnancy I was so sick
Nausea constantly and vomiting 7-8 times a day.

I really want to be fully committed to this but I'm not looking forward to the nausea. During my first pregnancy I was especially sensitive to smells. Unfortunately there are MANY strong smells in my retirement home (feces, urine, body odor) and I'm not sure how I'm going to handle it.

I guess I'm just looking for some insight.

glad to hear I'm not alone with worrying about that! I work in academic research and am currently between jobs, so I'm *very* worried how long it is going to take until I find my next position and what they would say if I got pregnant shortly after... With these projects, it's often impossible or very difficult to replace someone, but I don't want to wait till I'm 40 to start trying :(
I've already made commitments until July and planning TTC for late march/april. If I have a difficult pregnancy, I might not be able to fulfill those and that would be very badly received... so you're definitely not alone in worrying about this! I though about it long and hard and I just want a baby so badly, I decided my work life is either going to fit around it/accept it, or I'll have to look into starting a new career path in another area after.

I am currently in limbo at the office - i was just told about getting a promotion. My problem is actually twofold:
1. If I get it, it would mean a lot of extra responsibilities and stress... might make ttc more difficult
2. If i take the promotion and i get pregnant, I will probably not be able to do the job properly during pregnancy or after birth (it also might involve travelling at short notice).
I am wondering if i should step back (and let someone else have the promotion - a few friends were also in line for same position). The salary difference is not much - but i worked really hard for this...
Maybe i am overthinking it?

Im an assistant teacher at a learning center. Most of the time im working in the infant room (lots of smells) and we work off of ratio (1 teacher to every 4 babies) so if i have to constantly vomit during my shift i can't just run out of the classroom i have to get someone out of the office to step in for me and they stay pretty busy in there.

Im an assistant teacher at a learning center. Most of the time im working in the infant room (lots of smells) and we work off of ratio (1 teacher to every 4 babies) so if i have to constantly vomit during my shift i can't just run out of the classroom i have to get someone out of the office to step in for me and they stay pretty busy in there.
I'm so glad I'm not alone on this one. Is this going to be your first LO? Maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones who don't get sick at all.

Even gingerale or the smell of perfume made me vomit last time so I'm not too sure how I'm going to deal with doing perineal care and showers this time around.

I am currently in limbo at the office - i was just told about getting a promotion. My problem is actually twofold:
1. If I get it, it would mean a lot of extra responsibilities and stress... might make ttc more difficult
2. If i take the promotion and i get pregnant, I will probably not be able to do the job properly during pregnancy or after birth (it also might involve travelling at short notice).
I am wondering if i should step back (and let someone else have the promotion - a few friends were also in line for same position). The salary difference is not much - but i worked really hard for this...
Maybe i am overthinking it?
That is TOUGH. Its different for everyone but I'm not sure with my LO I have now (who is five) I would be able to handle a position where I may have to travel at short notice. (Would I miss school functions? Christmas concerts? Milestones?)

If you try thinking in the long run it may help.

Good luck and thanks for the reply.

Yes. DH and I are TTC 1# and I teach kindergarten (3-5 year olds. We work in a team and I'm the youngest and the only without children. All the other teachers already make comments that are pretty hurtful. Most of the time it's about how they became so much better teachers after they had their own children and how you don't really become a good teacher until you have children of your own. When I had a MC earlier in the year, I told my boss because I just couldn't face work. My boss treated me differently and was so rude to me for a good 3-4 months. Mainly, I think it's because having to readvertise my job (I've only been working there 8 months) would be an inconvience. Plus every time I take a sick day (which isn't often) or say I have a headache or don't feel well, they expect and ask if I'm pregnant. So when I actually manage to fall pregnant, I'm sure they are all going to know straight away and it's not going to be enjoyable. Luckily, infertility has made me much stronger and I'm hoping I'll just be able to ignore all of it like I have been.

Wow sarah, that is rough - it must be difficult to work in an environment like that without support. I do not think teaching kindergarten is the same as being a mother or that they are better at it. That is like saying that family members of criminals are better lawyers. Good luck on your journey :hugs:

Thank you dream. It is really hard and I do disagree with them about needing to be a mother before you can be a 'real' teacher. I think that is ridiculous and I am actually more qualified than all of them... but I just bite my tongue. I try to remember that none of the others I work with know our struggle (and I don't want them to) so they couldn't be aware of how their comments could hurt. I know that some of them are aimed directly at me, but I do my best to rise above it. I know I will be a far better parent because of the patience I have had to endure to get there.

As soon as I can go on maternity leave I'll be gone. If we get to IVF, (probably in the next 6-12 months) I will resign. That gets me through.

Plus, when it all gets too hard, I put all my focus back on to the children and how caring and thoughtful they are and how lucky I am to be a part of their lives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->