Aoife

GossipGirly

1 DD (2) 1DS (1) and PG
Reaction score
I have no Irish in my family, but I really love the name Aoife (pronounced Eefa) not sure if its acceptable to use an irish name when I have no Irish background?

I would have had no idea how to pronounce that if you hadn't said. I saw "ah-oyf"! You'll need to bear in mind that others may struggle too.

If that doesn't bother you, there's no way you have to have family background in whichever country your chosen name comes from! Most names are from other countries originally.

I love welsh names but Im irish... its a nice name so I wouldnt worry. its quite popular so I would say most people know how to pronounce it even though the people saying it wont be irish

I love welsh names but Im irish... its a nice name so I wouldnt worry. its quite popular so I would say most people know how to pronounce it even though the people saying it wont be irish

I've worked with kids in (southern) England for the past 10 years and honestly, I've never heard or seen it before.

I've worked with kids in (southern) England for the past 10 years and honestly, I've never heard or seen it before.

Suppose I dont realise how its maybe not common in England:haha: but i swear I know at least 15 Aoife's :haha: its English name is Eva

I think Aoife was one of the names in the Tir Na nOg stories or salmon of knowledge, though im not sure as theres lots

Yeah. I know its pretty common in Ireland and will Una from The Saturdays (lol) calling her girl it last year I am sure it will become more well known. I think its really pretty and its not really that different from Eva in pronunciation. I actually do have a cousin who lives in northern Ireland and Is married to an irish lady Olga and they have a daughter Anya, so there are my routes right there hahaha! Even though I am not sure how irish Olga is? hahaha

Ah, it's like Eva! :haha: I know loads of Evas.

Yeah. I know its pretty common in Ireland and will Una from The Saturdays (lol) calling her girl it last year I am sure it will become more well known. I think its really pretty and its not really that different from Eva in pronunciation. I actually do have a cousin who lives in northern Ireland and Is married to an irish lady Olga and they have a daughter Anya, so there are my routes right there hahaha! Even though I am not sure how irish Olga is? hahaha

yeah I know a few Olga's though it sounds more european to me... Maria and marie are popular in Ireland yet theyre not Irish names.

I have a niece called Aoife Rose. though if you want it full Irish it would be Aoife Rois (dont know how to do the fada on this keyboard but theres one above the e in Aoife and the i in Rois)

I dont even know Irish language or anything this is just names from family and friends that I know where fadas are lol:haha:

I hadn't thought about a middle name haha I hadn't got that far! Thanks so much for your comments xx

Hey!

I think it's perfectly fine to use it without having Irish connections. I don't think you should worry about pronounciation problems either as some people struggle with the pronounciation of more common names!. I think it's a very pretty name.

:flower:

Have to say I didn't have a clue how to pronounce that till I read your comments! I was thinking something like Ay-o-iffee! Lol.
Honestly I have never seen that spelling of it, does look very Irish tho. I don't think that is a problem, many names used today aren't originally English. Eva I have heard of and I think it's a very pretty name. I know it's not the same pronunciation but I think you may have to make your peace with a lot of people saying it that way, especially when she and her friends are young. At the end of the day it's your personal choice but I think bear in mind that a lot of people will have difficulty pronouncing it as you would like, having said all that its a pretty name!! X

I love this name and it's on my list of girly names I think Irish names are sooo prettty and although poplar in Ireland not poplar over here in England :) xxx

It's pretty, but I would have had no idea how to pronounce it without your explanation.

I really like this name, but I personally would never use it. I wouldn't feel right using a name that no one could guess the pronunciation of. I know how to say it, but I don't know anyone else who would. I think that could be hard on a kiddo.

I love it! And it seem to be getting a bit more well known so it shouldn't be too much trouble for LO

I was never a fan of the name. I live in Ireland and its hugely popular here, too popular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->