Aoife? ?

proudmummy

Proud mummy to my 2 boys
Reaction score
I love Aoife for a girl (pronounced Ee-fa) but it's an iris name and I have no iris connections at all (apart from my name which is also irish) what do you think?

I say do it! I'm not Irish and I'm going with an Irish name myself :)

I'm not keen on overly Irish names when not Irish but if you like it, why not?

Im from an Irish family and personally hate names like this, I dont actually know any Irish people with them (with any non-phonic)... the most out-there Irish name I ever come across is Rory (which isn't that out there really)

i think you should do it :) very cute name :flower:

Im from an Irish family and personally hate names like this, I dont actually know any Irish people with them (with any non-phonic)... the most out-there Irish name I ever come across is Rory (which isn't that out there really)

I lived in Northern Ireland for a good while and went to a college there that had a large portion of its students from over the border. Aoife was very common. Like every 4th girl had it. Lots of Eimhear's, Cairbre's and Caoimhe's too. The only one I know how to pronounce is Aoife and the last one :wacko:

I love this name but family chose it recently. I don't see why you couldn't use it. I will warn you though it is one if the more confusing Irish names to pronounce.

I like the name, and I like this Irish spelling. But outside of Ireland and UK it will get misspelled all the time!

It's a gorgeous name, but beware of people that will have no idea how to pronounce it. :haha:

My name is Keely (also an Irish name) and no one spells or pronounces it properly half of the time, but I don't mind because I really like my name.

It's a gorgeous name, but beware of people that will have no idea how to pronounce it. :haha:

My name is Keely (also an Irish name) and no one spells or pronounces it properly half of the time, but I don't mind because I really like my name.

really, I find that odd Keely is such a simple name dont see how people could go that wrong - how do they pronounce it when they say it wrong? (its pretty much the name we've picked)

I know right? It does seem like it should be really simple but apparently not. I get Kaylee, Kylie, Kelly, Keela, Keeley, Keeleigh, Keelee, Keelie and many other misspellings and mispronunciations all the time, but it's never bothered me much. I just correct them and move on with my life, or tell them to call me Kiki if they're really just not getting it.

It doesn't help that people actually name their 'Keelys' with weird spellings like that! It's already a unique name, why feel the need to screw up the spelling and make it even harder for people to spell and pronounce it?

I know right? It does seem like it should be really simple but apparently not. I get Kaylee, Kylie, Kelly, Keela, Keeley, Keeleigh, Keelee, Keelie and many other misspellings and mispronunciations all the time, but it's never bothered me much. I just correct them and move on with my life, or tell them to call me Kiki if they're really just not getting it.

It doesn't help that people actually name their 'Keelys' with weird spellings like that! It's already a unique name, why feel the need to screw up the spelling and make it even harder for people to spell and pronounce it?

as im reading this a girl called Keely just came on tv lol

I dont understand the spelling change on this they just look long and awkward as Keelee or Keeleigh :dohh:

I know a Aofie and her parents pronounce it Evie, guess they should have researched it further :wacko:

I like it though :flower:

I'm Irish and I say use it if you love it! Your LO will probably have to spell her name a lot but that happens with much more common names if they are spelt differently, which is a popular trend now too.

I lived in Northern Ireland for a good while and went to a college there that had a large portion of its students from over the border. Aoife was very common. Like every 4th girl had it. Lots of Eimhear's, Cairbre's and Caoimhe's too. The only one I know how to pronounce is Aoife and the last one :wacko:

I meant to add that there's two ways to pronounce Caoimhe! It can be key-va or qu-va!

I love it. Aoife seems to be getting more common, so I think alot of people will know how to say/spell it. There's a little girl in Xander's nursery class called Aoife, no irish connection that I know of.

One of the first Irish people id ever known was a girl names Aoife, and she told me it was quite a common name where she was from.

OP, its a lovely name. If you like it, go for it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->