apparently dummies/soothers/pacifiers help protect babies from cot death ....

ill be using a dummie O:)

Also read this article today on reducing the risk of SIDS by NOT sharing a bed - what do you ladies think?

x

Interesting, where is the article? We choose not to bed share because DH and I are both very heavy sleepers and cannot sleep well with baby in the bed. It causes us to be exhausted and we prefer baby in a bassinet right next to the bed. Even then is only the first couple weeks/months

I think the article is scaremongering BS.

The research, published in the BMJ Open, found that 22% of the cot death cases occurred when babies were sharing a bed with their parents.

So 78% of babies were not in a bed-share situation? In a cot/basket perhaps? Why would health professionals advocate this is the BEST place for babies to sleep when many more of the cases of SIDS occur there?

Sudden Infant Death Syndrome is called such for a reason. It's sudden. It's unexplained. It's unfortunate.

Just my two cents on the article. I will be bed-sharing with Millie.

Interesting, where is the article? We choose not to bed share because DH and I are both very heavy sleepers and cannot sleep well with baby in the bed. It causes us to be exhausted and we prefer baby in a bassinet right next to the bed. Even then is only the first couple weeks/months

the links on my original post, but you can click here too:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22594587

As a FTM im worried about everything, and anything i can do to help LO is worth considering.

Prof Carpenter maintains avoiding bed-sharing would save lives - by his calculations, 120 of the 300 cot deaths that occur in the UK each year Thats a high amount in my eyes?!

The NHS website also suggests not sleeping with bubba as a way to prevent SIDS.

Yes SIDS is sudden, and not fully understood but I can only go by recommended guidelines?

x

But even 120 out of 300 is 40%, so statistically by what the Professor is saying, a HIGHER about of 60% of babies die when not in a bed-share situation, in cots / baskets....again advocating putting baby to sleep somewhere where the death rate is higher?

As long as a parent has done there research, conducting safe practices (whereever baby may be), then they should be happy with their final decision. :) I know I certainly am, and know Millie will be safe in my bed by my side.

I did not use a pacifier with my first two, and will not with this one. It's nothing more than an artificial nipple, and why bother when I have two of my own? My babies nurse to sleep at night, and nurse on demand during the night, and have never shown a need to have an artificial piece of plastic in their mouth at other times. Not trying to be snarky, but it has always ticked me off that it's perfectly acceptable to soothe a baby with a fake plastic nipple, but people look down on you sometimes for nursing in public/ soothing with a real nipple! Or a doctor will say that breastfeeding to sleep is a bad habit. Then go and say a plastic nipple replacement while sleeping is the way to go. Utter BS! Or should I say Udder BS :)

I think that article is BS. Cultures all over the world have practised bedsharing forever, and it's really only in Western countries where it isn't the norm. Safe bedsharing can prevent SIDS. I know that I am super aware of DD in bed with us, and we've been doing bedsharing for 5 months (with DH in the same bed). Neither of us have come close to rolling over on her.

I quite like this article by Dr. Sears about the concerns over bedsharing: https://www.askdrsears.com/news/latest-news/dr-sears-addresses-recent-co-sleeping-concerns He says that cultures that traditionally practice bedsharing have a lower incidence of SIDS as well.

No I won't be using a dummy. My first two didn't need one and I won't be offering this one either. I will be breastfeeding for me that is reassurance enough in reducing SIDS risk.

I had been put off dummies with ds1 and dd2 for a couple of reasons, firstly my nephew had one until he was about 6 and my sister just could not get rid of it, he also used to cry in the night when he was a baby and it fell out and she would be constantly putting it back in.

Also I used to work as a dental nurse and have seen some really awful open bites on children who's parents let them use dummies too long. Having said that if you do decide to use them and get rid of them before 12 months as pps have successfully done then that would be much better. I do agree that with these sorts of things there are no right or wrong answers, just personal preference and what suits you and baby at the time :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->