• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Apparently the only on that can get preg in this family is my dog!

emilyjean

TTC#1-IVF coming soon
Reaction score
My sheltie Brick is 32 days with her first (and only) accidental litter, lol. At least the father is also a shetland sheepdog. She's a sable merle, the father is a sable.

I'm scared to death, I've got to build the whelping box and assemble the supplies, there's so much that can go wrong.

Here's a picture of her showing off her maternity haircut and her 32 day bump! She's due a month from today, SO nervous. Also there's a picture of her face from a couple days ago. If you notice, the little weirdo has an odd number of nipples. :haha:

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 4
have you got the book of the bitch? its ment to be really good

Good luck.

My cat had an accidental litter, never again. Nothing went wrong but it's hard work. The little girl in my avatar is one of her babies (I've kept 3).

I hope you don't mind sleepless nights!

Hey hun, my mums whippet had a litter a few years ago and i fully recommend the book of the bitch!

It is extremely hard work but its so so so much fun. I dont know much about shetland sheepdogs or how good they are a whelping, i only have experience with whippets and they nearly always tend to be good at giving birth lol.
Only advice i can give is to stay calm :) my heart was beating so hard when i realised it was happening and we saw a little head sticking out, she gave us no warning (which apparently they are a few signs to look out for) but we didnt get any! HA!
Oh and to just let them give birth where they decide to, even if its not in the whelping box (kiah decided on my brothers bed) we didnt want to move or make her anxious so we tried to put a few black bags under the duvet to protect the mattress haha as it got quite messy.

Dont worry and just enjoy it, i would love to say its an experience every one should have as it is wonderful but obviously not a good idea because of all the homeless doggies that there is :0)

Good luck, remember to put pics up xx

Hey hun, my mums whippet had a litter a few years ago and i fully recommend the book of the bitch!

It is extremely hard work but its so so so much fun. I dont know much about shetland sheepdogs or how good they are a whelping, i only have experience with whippets and they nearly always tend to be good at giving birth lol.
Only advice i can give is to stay calm :) my heart was beating so hard when i realised it was happening and we saw a little head sticking out, she gave us no warning (which apparently they are a few signs to look out for) but we didnt get any! HA!
Oh and to just let them give birth where they decide to, even if its not in the whelping box (kiah decided on my brothers bed) we didnt want to move or make her anxious so we tried to put a few black bags under the duvet to protect the mattress haha as it got quite messy.

Dont worry and just enjoy it, i would love to say its an experience every one should have as it is wonderful but obviously not a good idea because of all the homeless doggies that there is :0)

Good luck, remember to put pics up xx

i disagree with this part after speakign to breeders since it can make for very tricky moving on pups and mum to a safer place and hard to check weights is bitch has them say under your bed most will make the dog go to the whelping area and sit with them there and its much cleaner to not have a bitch give birth on your bed/sofa

You need a whelping box for bitches. So many things can go wrong. I know someone who had a whelping box but it didn't have pig rails. The mum rolled over and squashed several pups. ALWAYS HAVE PIG RAILS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->