Applying for a promotion just before maternity leave?

mrsraggle

Wifey & Mummy
Reaction score
My company is currently being restructured; for some it has regrettably meant redundancy but my department hasn't been negatively affected. In fact, there have been two new roles created. I'm currently a Manager and one of the new roles is Senior Manager. I'd like to apply for it but a director on the board has said I'll never get it as although technically I'm qualified for it, I'm starting maternity leave on 22 December and they won't want to wait 9 months for me to get back. I know they can't officially not give me the job because of that.

I don't know why I'm posting really. Anybody been through this? I think it's still worth applying as I'm showing willing. I already feel like my company sidelines me because I'm part time and I'm pregnant and now this! I'm actually really frikking good at my job!! I wish they'd realise what they had in me instead of seeing...

PART-TIME!!!
PREGNANT!!!

...written on my forehead. It's such a massive wall between me and my bosses that they overlook how awesome I am! :haha:

Aawww that really sucks. At least they are being honest with you about where you stand but it's still unfair (and discriminatory).
I would apply anyway....make them have to consider you and give you reasons why you can't have the job.
It would be great if you could get their chauvinist attitudes in writing or some proof as in future you could show your career path wasn't as good as it could have been due to them.

Hey!

Just want too give you a little bit of hope! I left work to go onto Maternity leave in May 11, and then got a letter to tell me my department was collapsing and the only jobs available was higher than my position and obivously more money. Anyway i applied, was interviewed and was successful in the new job with the contract taking effect from June 11 even though i'm not returning to work till Feb 12, they've just taken a temp on to cover the inbetween period.

Although I wasnt applying for a managerial role, just wanted to give you some hope! xx

I agree with the others and would apply regardless. They don;t know how long you will take for mat leave so I dont see how they can legally refuse your application for mat leave reasons. Applying will also show willing on your side to stay working there and to progress up the ladder

Thanks all.

babybear11, that's inspiring thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"