"Appreciate your sleep" from a first time new mom.

ZoeyKaspian

Reaction score
To all expectant mothers...my son is now 3 months. While I was pregnant, there was a lot of things people said that annoyed me to death. It still does. More so now, because a lot of it just isn't true. People will think they know better than you. The one I am thinking about now is when they tell you to appreciate your sleep. Well, my son was in the NICU and I told a nurse, "Don't be afraid to call us (we had an NICU hospitality room). I don't mind waking up for him." She told me in reply, "You say that now..". I was annoyed. I'm not as annoyed as before, but it just isn't true. Tonight, I am taking on two extra hours of my turn at night for my fiance since he has to get up at 4:30am for work. Well, a few weeks ago, it was my turn to take care of our son. If I hadn't been awake, I would have missed my son's first real giggle. Earlier, I was just holding him and felt my heart melt. I have eight siblings and one stepson + his brother (my fiance considers his son's brother, his own son, although they are not biologically related and the real father is back in his life) and although, I was told that the experience I got with these kids wouldn't prepare me, I feel that it was foolish to say that it didn't. It totally did. I've been up because my stepson was puking. I've been up just for him to tell us that he just pooped out a bunch of tiny little turds. I've been up because my little sister just wanted to play a video game with me since she hadn't seen me in two weeks. I've been up very early. They tell you insomnia won't prepare you. I think that is also a load of crap. To all you first time pregnant mothers, don't listen when they say "appreciate your sleep". I appreciate losing the sleep more. I've had so many special moments with Atlas in these three months alone just by losing sleep! Appreciate the experience you will get when you do lose your sleep and remember, those who say it, typically forget what being pregnant was like! Good luck, mommas. <3

Being told to appreciate my sleep was one of the most frustrating things to be told, firstly it's not like you can sleep well in pregnancy as it is, also you can't "rack up" your hours beforehand so you need less before baby is here, but mostly I felt so much pressure about how tired I would be. When DS arrived I was so on edge about the sleepless nights that I just couldn't switch off during the day when I could nap, and I absolutely blame everyone putting the fear into me! Yes babies come with sleepless nights, it's part of the package deal, banging on about it helps no one! Rant over, glad it has been a positive experience for you :)

You have to be stronger than them. It seems like when you are pregnant, everyone does the fear mongering. I don't quite know why people do this. I would rather wake up and take care of my son so that he is safe, healthy, and happy than complain. Like I said, so many special moments would have been missed had I not been awake!

I lost it the last time someone pulled the old "sleep now while you can" number. I really sarcastically said "what? Babies keep you awake? I never knew that! I better schedule that abortion quick then!"

That shut them up pretty fasy.

I lost it the last time someone pulled the old "sleep now while you can" number. I really sarcastically said "what? Babies keep you awake? I never knew that! I better schedule that abortion quick then!"

:haha::haha:
That's so funny, I wish I had thought of something like that. I normally just respond with "I've had insomnia since I was 11 and now I don't sleep longer than an hour at a time due to pregnancy so how will it be any different" :haha::haha:

:haha::haha:
That's so funny, I wish I had thought of something like that. I normally just respond with "I've had insomnia since I was 11 and now I don't sleep longer than an hour at a time due to pregnancy so how will it be any different" :haha::haha:

Exactly. I am not sleeping now either, but according to drama mamas that doesn't count.

:haha::haha::haha:

Fab post! Thank you so much for sharing :)

Part of me wishes I could wear a tent so people won't feel obliged to pass on their oh so helpful advice.

HBGirl - Too funny :haha:

People with several kids do this to second time moms too. "Oh, you didn't have THAT bad a time with one kid? Well, try two!! It's so hard and horrible!!!" People act like your toddler will explode if you have to take some time to put your feet up. I have a toddler who is moving non-stop and have had to be on bed rest in the early weeks and was super nauseous. His life was hardly ruined and he didn't tear the house apart either. You just get creative.

Also, the dire warnings are annoying because it is essentially raining on someone's parade. It's like we're not supposed to be happy about having a child. Yet I don't see them giving their children up for adoption. And sometimes you luck out and get a good sleeper.

thanks for posting this! I'm tired of all the horror stories and same old comments too.

I LOVE this, sick of people telling me how my sleep is doomed blablabla, I can't wait tbh. Thank you! :D

It's just as annoying hearing it the second time round! Like, yeah because I clearly get loads of sleep when I have a three year old already?! I think people just like trying to give us advice and scare us :p

My boy slept awfully the first few weeks. Breastfeeding every night from midnight to 8am. I was a wreck. But u know what, it passes! At 2 months he started sleeping 730pm til 4am, feed then I'd lay with him on the lounge and nap til 8/9.
At 4 months he went into his own room and ever since then now sleeps 630pm til 8am.... Sometimes I miss him at night and just wanna go wake him :(

I do agree its annoying when people say things to you like this and if I'm honest if I'm having a bad day with my daughter I can be the one passing a negative comment like this to a pregnant friend etc.

I think it depends what kind of baby you have, my daughter slept awful for the first 2 months for the first 4 weeks she woke hourly for feeds and at only 7 days old she refused to sleep in her Moses basket because she had to be soothing on my nipple or she would just scream and cry. She also had reflux. I can honestly say when you have a hard baby and your surviving on 2 hours sleep a night it does get to much. But I know that the sleepless nights pass and I do wish I had made the most of the newborn stage as I just wished it away.

I think its hard for mums who have great sleepers and good support from their oh's (helping with night feeds etc.) to understand just how hard it is for a mum who has no support and a baby who is inconsolable constantly crying and waking hourly, I just think the mums who give the advice of enjoy your sleep while you can fall into the category of experiencing a hard baby.

So I can see points from both sides really :)

I think its great the positive attitude you have towards being a mum by the way I think I need some of your positive energy sent my way lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnneMariena
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->