• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Aquaphor alternative/eczema "cures"

Rhapsodi

Reaction score
My 3mo has eczema. We finally found a diaper that doesn't cause rashes (7th gen free and clear, not touch of cloth at target) even cloth will cause rashes at times. We still do cloth but try to space it out or alternate.

Anyways he still has eczema pretty much everywhere. Legs, arms, face, back, stomach. Dr has suggested Aquaphor. I don't like the petroleum in it. I'd like to find an alternative. Coconut oil makes it worse so nothing with that. . Calendula (California baby) doesn't make it worse but it doesn't make it go away.

We don't use soap in baths as I haven't found a good one that doesn't cause him to break out. So far California baby super sensitive and aveeno eczema wash make it worse (aveeno made him bright red, CB just more dry).

So any ideas would be great.

Hi! I've had chronic eczema my entire life. Steroids have ultimately been the quickest and best fix for me, but I have several relief strategies:

1.) Check your laundry soap, are you using a free and clear?
2.) Oatmeal baths, oatmeal baths, oatmeal baths! These are AMAZING and you can make them easily at home. If you put oatmeal in a sock you can get it wet and rub the sock on the baby. Also, alveno sells an oatmeal bath pouch that you can dump in the bath with baby. I've used this my entire life. It's incredibly soothing and relieves a lot of the pain!
3.) Olive oil in the bath tub at the end of the bath
4.) Constantly moisturize. Don't ever let the skin dry out. Find a lotion that works and stick to it, switching lotions often causes a lot of grief for my skin. St Ives Oatmeal is my current choice, it's not a super natural lotion, but it doesn't make my skin break out so I love it! Don't use any lotions with scents.

My mom started making soap when I was a child because I couldn't use anything from a store. Whole fat soaps with no additives or too many scents are where it's at. If you can find bar soap with lots of good fats (avocado oil, coconut oil, olive oil) in like a tea tree / chamomile that's always good. And tea tree can help fend off infections... it's a miracle oil. But all people with eczema are generally advised to only wash "pits and bits" AKA arm pits and genitals. . . too much soap causes new rashes to break out.

I hope this helps a little bit. Eczema is miserable. I hope you find some things that work for you and baby!

Laundry detergent is free and clear for our entire house and anything bought is washed before worn (I'm super sensitive to scents so that's a must.)

I am still looking for a lotion that keeps in moisture I lotion him up every diaper change and still dry.

Aquaphor made it worse. Coconut oil makes it worse. If I eat peanuts it gets worse. I think petroleum is a trigger but sometimes it's ok like hydrocortisone cream. Still trying to figure it out. Tried aveeno eczema wash and it got super bad. I'm guessing due to the oatmeal.

Too many things irritate him so I am scared to try anything. But love the idea of making soap. Might be worth a try. Right now no poo is working.

We just tried a melualuca lotion that took care of his cradle cap but seemed to flare eczema on his arms/legs/torso. We win some we lose some I guess...

Hmmm that's interesting.

I'd try the St Ives Sensitive Skin

It's got oatmeal in it, but it's an awesome lotion! My skin doesn't like avenos stuff either... I think they've changed their formula recently.

I swear by lanolin. I had some lanolin nipple cream left over and started putting it on his rash. He gets it on his chin, neck, and chest, especially when he is teething from the drool. The lanolin is all natural, gentle, and helps protect the skin. I have to make sure he wears shirts he can't get his fingers under or he scratches the rash and opens it up.

Mastela has a good range for eczema, DS suffered from face eczema and it really helped.

I'd also look into food triggers and keep a diary, even if your child doesn't suffer from food allergies some foods trigger eczema. look into probiotics they help with eczema.

My son had eczema. I know this may not be a popular perspective but I talked to a pediatric dermatologist about preferring natural creams (we used Weleda Baby Calendula lotion) and she said that's all well and good, but lotion alone is unlikely to help the skin heal. You have to heal the skin first, and the most effective way to do that is with a steroid cream.

You apply the cream religiously until the rash is gone, and for several days to a couple of weeks after to keep the irritation process at bay. All this while you're using your lotion, of course. Once the skin is fully healed and strengthened, you just use your lotion, and since the skin has built a strong barrier, it stays healed.

This is what worked for us. We did one intensive burst of steroid cream, then religious moisturizing for months afterwards, and now his skin is perfect. Haven't even moisturized for probably a year now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->